Thread: Ship Creek

Default Ship Creek

Saw a big digger IN Ship right above the railroad bridge (Low Tide). Anyone know what is going on and if this will effect any pools in the creek?

Default ship creek

The city if finishing the bike path. I talked to the engineer today and they have to be out of the water by end of april.

I saw that today. Another new channel
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Ship Creek

Thanks for the heads up on the activity down there guys. I try to keep aware of things happening on the creek because of some plans I have for this summer.

I've jumped through the hoops to get permited by the AK Railroad, got my guide's license and will be doing 3-hour guided sessions at Ship Creek starting at the end of May. We'll see if this venture flies. I don't know of anybody else guiding down on ship.

My website is included on my info below. Tell your visiting guests!

jim

Thumbs up Nice Site

Very nice site jim. Sounds like a good plan and I do hope it works out for you. Keep us up to date on how business and fishing is and again good luck with your new venture
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Greasy Goo Guiding...

Yo!
    You rock, Dude!
    I think your concept is outstanding!

Anchorage's own guide to the goo!
    I am still laughing at all of this and if there was ever anyone who could pull this off, you are the guy!

Guiding!
    Ship Creek!

Unfreaking believable!

Best of success to you...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Jim,

I sent you a PM. I will need some help when I get there.

I saw you were a photographer as well. Nice work!

Default Guiding on Ship Creek

Cliffhanger, I used to guide on Ship Creek years ago. I was one of the first if not the first person to use a non-motorized boat (driftboat), to access the mouth, and fish for kings and silvers. People fishing on the bank would look at me like I was crazy while I rowed my driftboat from the boat launch (they kept yelling at me), saying," you're to get swept out into the inlet." Without letting out too many of my thinking- out-of-the-box trade secrets, lol, here is something I will tell you, on certain outgoing tides, the water coming out of Ship Creek into the inlet, runs crystal clear.... meaning you can see 20ft. down in the water. I've caught kings 400 yards downstream of the boat launch while rowing my driftboat pulling T-spoons. One particular day was totally out of control! It was like trolling off of Deep Creek on a good day. I hope you have great success!

D Ray

Cliffhangar,

Goodluck on your guide sessions. I plan on being out there in early May again. Hopefully I can land another early chromer again! Cya out there and best of luck to you this season.

y0gee

Is that path to go over the creek? Is this a new crossing spot or another observation deck? That digger was deep in there today, I would say 10 foot past the regular creek bottom.

Default re ship creek

path does not cross there but does up stream. I think he was stabailzing the bank there but I'll check. The trail goes under the bridge and ends at the open spot where the porta potties sit by the diamond lot. Thats as far as they're going this year. They are driving piling in the area so may be another deck.

Default Guiding on Ship

I too have guided on Ship Creek (along with lot's of Anchorage lakes) a few years back as "The Urban Angler". We usually caught fish but... Most of the folks really objected to the mud and the numbers of others out there on the river. It was not the "Alaskan Experience" they had in mind even though I always told them before booking exactly what it was like. My biggest negitive to guiding on Ship was the cleaning up of the gear after the day. What a mess. It took almost as much time to clean up the gear as we would spend on the river. Best of luck to you with your new venture. It can work, just be sure you have all your paperwork in order for permits, licenses, insurance, and the like, and keep a copy with you as you WILL be checked down there and it will much quicker if you can "prove up your story" on the spot. Learned by experience. Again Best Of Luck To Ya.

Default Thanks

Guys-
    Thanks for the responses and well-wishes. Ron (Fly Guy / Urban Angler), I tried looking you up in the phone book to talk to you about your guiding business from a couple of years ago. I know we did a story on you at the Daily News back in 2001-2002. Could not find you in the book. You still in Anchortown? Anyway, thanks for the warnings!

My plan is to get people to flip, spin cast, bait cast on the "upper" river (Bridge Restaurant to Power Plant) where the mud isn't so bad and the access can be had with hip waders. For those anglers who appear fit and willing, then into the mud we may go.

DRay, thanks for the response, too. Last spring, my friend Andy and I tried trolling for incoming kings at the mouth, pulling plugs, back trolling with Wiggle Warts , floating eggs under a bobber, etc. Even though we saw fish on the fish finder, I don't think the fish could see our presentation. We never saw the clear water you talked about from your time doing this years ago. I think that the glacial silt has increased so much in Cook Inlet, there's no clear water anymore from the creek into the mouth. I've never seen clear water any of the times I've banked fish at the mouth.

If there is a way to target kings from a boat at the mouth, I would sure like to try it.

so, thanks again, and I'll give you all a report on how things went with this venture after king season slows down.

Best...jim