Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing on HB214 military residents hunting

Default Hearing on HB214 military residents hunting

BILL SB214 hearing today.....listen for yourselves at about 53 minutes into the committee hearing http://www.ktoo.org/gavel/audio.cfm if you want to come up to speed on this bill.

HB or SB214...Unless we care about naming a garage I think your talking about SB214, anyway I dont have a clue about how to check out 53 minutes into the meeting, Whats the bottom line ???

Default Ohh ya your right S.B. 214

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    HB or SB214...Unless we care about naming a garage I think your talking about SB214, anyway I dont have a clue about how to check out 53 minutes into the meeting, Whats the bottom line ???
    Sorry bout that. If you want to listen to the audio.......go to that link and when the hearing comes up advance it to about the "53" minute mark.

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...214&session=25

Default This is a BS bill

that has stayed out of the limelight. I am calling my reps to not vote for this. I am not totally clear on it, but would give military people and their families the right to buy a license and hunt some big game and also put in for drawing permits before they are actual residents. They have "purposefully" kept this under the radar.

As a soldier myself who had to wait a year for residence 8 years ago, I am not in favor of this bill. I like the year wait so that soldiers can get their nose in the reg book and take the year to learn the regs and scout out areas. There are enough bad apples in the military that do something stupid every season that the spotlight gets shown on but I think allowing brand new soldiers the ability to get in the bush with us as soon as they get here without understanding the regs fully will just cause more harm than good. This will be very interesting to say the least......

Default bowtech

I am glad to see you post on this. I have talked to many military personal and they say exactly what you stated. This bill has "quietly" walked through with the people that sponsor hoping that it doesn't get out before they can pass it. This is exactly what was told to some veterans that I know. They wanted no one to really know about it so they could just pass it through. I agree with your statements 100%.

Another bill pushed by people that feel bad for not doing their part for their country. Some rules make sense as they are, and giving new soldiers more chances to get themselves in trouble is not going to make anything better.

Default I hope that..

people like bowtech and lujon write/call your senators/governors and voice those concerns. I just did. I emailed all the Senators that I could. Thank you for your voice on this issue.

Default How do you guys feel about this one?

"An Act providing for free hunting and sport fishing licenses for
    active members of the Alaska National Guard;............

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...=25&bill=HB137

I agree with northway, Bowtech and Lujon, I don't agree with the bill or this new one giving free licenses and tags to active national guardsman. Licenses and tags are not that expensive and they are all residents so I don't see the need for more freebies.

When you are applying for a resident hunting license in Alaska the criteria for residency includes the following statement:

"has not benefited from the privaledges of residency in another state"

I called ADF&G to clarify this and was told that if I (30 year resident of Alaska, active duty armed forces, currently stationed outside of Alaska) purchase a North Carolina/Virginia/etc hunting license at the resident price in that state (which as an active duty armed forces member am allowed to do so) I will lose my ability to qualify for a resident hunting license in Alaska. At no time have I claimed residency in a state other than Alaska, but apparently I would be "benefiting from the privaledges of residency".

Why does ADF&G care how another state classifies me?

So, before we start taking care of those incoming soldiers and airmen by giving them free hunting/fishing privaledges, why don't we first take care of our Alaska residents who have had to spend time away from their home in Alaska to serve this country?

So I am still not for either of these bills but talking to a friend of mine yesterday brought up a good point. "What is the difference between a soldier who gets here and deploys two days later, spends a year in Iraq then comes back and qualifies for a resident hunting license or a soldier who stays here for a complete year then gets a resident license."....He made a very valid point, but I will still stick to my guns on not being in favor of these bills. Free licenses....You have to be kidding me....that is the most political BS I have ever heard, what makes them so special that they get free licenses.....Unbelievable.......

Like I said, I have to pay non-resident fees in any state other than Alaska in which I am stationed, and I have been a resident of Alaska for almost 30 years. I pay $200 to hunt a Turkey in Virginia so I can pay $25 to hunt a moose, I'll do what I have to do so I don't "benefit from the privaledges of residency" in another state. So I definitely don't think that if you get lucky enough to be stationed in Alaska you should get free licenses. It's good to take care of our service men and women, but we also have to take care of our Alaskans too.

What could it hurt to live here one year, do a ton of research and cut your teeth the first year? This bill seems misguided.

Tim

I know people that have been honest and showed the other states regulation for military members stationed locally stating that they qualify for resident hunting license despite being a nonresident. They were successful in their argument. I do think that it needs to be clarified, but thats me. Personally I just paid the higher prices to fish when I was stationed in FL and TX. I support real Alaskans that went to the MEPS station in AK and joined the military. I don't support special priveledges for people that were stationed here 4 years and continue to reap the rewards of this state (PFD & no state tax) with NO intention of returning (except to hunt and fish).

Lujon,
    Again I have to agree with you on the reaping special privledges. I have been stationed here 8+ years and not once claimed PFD or even at that reclaimed my Haul Rd Grizzly Tag I drew while in Iraq under the military thing that ADF&G is doing. So I got extended, no reason to claim it, all it does is takes away from others, the same goes for military putting in for drawings while deployed. If you know your not going to be there for the season dont be a dumbass and put in for it, let the residents still back here put it for them. A person who has been putting in for a tag for the last 30 years may be able to finally pull the tag....

Lujon, that's what I've had to do, pay the nonresident tags where I've been stationed so I can hunt and fish as the resident I am when I return on leave. A $200 whitetail is still worth a $25 moose/caribou/black bear/grizzly bear....etc. Since you and I have had to do that, it's one more reason why service members don't really need "free" licenses when they get here. Alaska's first priority should be Alaskans.

If your going to write in protest of this bill, you must write to the House or Rep as they are the one's who will be seeing it next.

Bobble has a good point. What we should be doing is finding out how we can allow military that are residents stationed in another state to take advantage of the rules that allow them to purchase hunting and fishing licenses at the resident rate where they are stationed. Now that's something I'd be more that happy to support.
    these two bills we are discussing? No support here for a variety of reasons.

Default tough nut

This bill is a really tough one on an election year. Vote against it and your anti military. Vote for it and you're anti Alaskan. I have trouble with it when the proponents fail to state that military does receive fishing licenses at a far reduced price and is allowed to hunt on military land without paying full fare. I appreciate the sacrifice these guys and gals make for this country; just keep the debate fair, and I hope the legislature doesn't get badgered into making a vote just out of fear of alienating under informed constituents.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast