Thread: Hiking to Eagle Lake??

Default Hiking to Eagle Lake??

Thinking about hiking to Eagle Lake from the Nature Center. How deep is eagle river crossing during the early summer?? What is the best route to get across the river from the nature center and avoid private land.

Thanks

Eagle Lake at the head of Eagle River valley, or Eagle Lake up in South Fork valley? I've heard both go by this name.

Default Just south of the nature center.

I was wondering about crossing just south of the nature center above where eagle lake of the south fork part dumps in.

Pretty deep, man. I've crossed at Echo Bend before....actually, let me revise that. My friend crossed at Echo Bend before. We climbed Eagle Peak and crossed the river using a small raft. Two friends turned back midway through the climb and promised to leave the raft for us. They didn't. I injured myself on the way back down (minor injury, but enough to make the crossing difficult), so my friend forded the river to get the raft. It was mid-chest deep and he was almost swept away. There is a reason that they do not allow the Crow Pass racers to cross where the trail meets the river. They must run a mile upstream to cross at the ford site where the river is 4x as wide, thus only mid-thigh deep. I would only cross near the Nature Center in a raft, or swim it with a dry bag with replacement clothes. It will not be shallow.

Default Thanks

Ok thanks brian,

Sounds like we need to get those alpacka rafts soon.

Any word on those anyways??

The Alpacka rafts are awesome! The current price for a raft with welded on spray skirt is about $1100 I think, so they are a bit spendy but worth it if you want to really get out and do some stuff in Alaska. If you will only be using it occasionally to cross a river, it is possible to get away with using only one raft for the entire group. (I don't know if Sheri, the maker of the rafts, endorses this technique or not!) One person pilots the boat the whole time. Ferry the packs across first, usually one at a time. Then, ferry the people across one at a time....One person paddles while the other sits in front of them. I would only do this on easy water.

I've hiked into South Fork from the Nature Center a couple of times. We crossed the river right where the downstream branch of the Albert Loop meets the river. There is a great rocky ridge that goes up to the col below the Eagle River Overlook peak. The lower part is a little bushy, but you can avoid the worst of it by connecting the patches of spruce trees to gain the ridge.