Thread: Math question Fuel = miles traveled

Default Math question Fuel = miles traveled

Just took the Coast Guard test at the office to renew license , One of the questions they would not tell me the correct answer too was.

You leave base camp with 25 gals of fuel ,You burn 7 gals an hour I think the current was going either 5 or 7 knots (Calm day) when I got back to camp I had 4 gallons of fuel left.
    How many nautical miles did I travel ? What is the math way to do this ? I told him I'd have to look at my GPS..... They sure have no personality down there..
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default More information needed

First I'm thinking your in a river,if so the current only confuses the question because you have to go both ways.As far as the answer seems you would need to know how fast the boat goes at 7 GPH and how long you traveled. Last thought is you didn't obey the one third rule of boating.

Quote Originally Posted by ACBMAN View Post
    .As far as the answer seems you would need to know how fast the boat goes at 7 GPH and how long you traveled.
    That's was what I asked also But the question on the test is exactly the way I wrote it in my first post. It asks nothing about what size boat or how fast you are going or how far you traveled. It just says when you got back you had 4 gals of gas left

Default ...more to the question, I think...

Roger, there simply has to be more to the question. You burned 21 gallons of fuel in 3 hours; (started out with 25 gallons, returned with 4 = 21 gallons @ 7 gph = 3 hours). If the current was foul (upstream) at 7 knots and your boat speed was 7 knots, you ran 3 hours without moving at all! If you ran the same rpm (or gph) downstream, you actually went SOG (Speed Over Ground) at 14 knots, you've traveled 42 NM in 3 hours...huge difference! I'd guess that the 7 (or 5) knot factor was your boat speed, not the current speed....or else the question cannot be solved. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    you traveled 42 NM in 3 hours...huge difference! I'd guess that the 7 (or 5) knot factor was your boat speed, not the current speed....or else the question cannot be solved. Mike
    THAT'S IT !!!!!!!!!! It must have been the boat speed and not current because one on the answers was 42 NM . Thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Just took the Coast Guard test at the office to renew license , One of the questions they would not tell me the correct answer too was.

You leave base camp with 25 gals of fuel ,You burn 7 gals an hour I think the current was going either 5 or 7 knots (Calm day) when I got back to camp I had 4 gallons of fuel left.
    How many nautical miles did I travel ? What is the math way to do this ? I told him I'd have to look at my GPS..... They sure have no personality down there..
    That is a dumb question as there are so many variables such as tide current direction, wind, load and others. I would have answered none, as I just went around in circles in place at the dock. Which just happens to be the same treatment I get when I ask the coastguard logical questions....