Thread: Spring?

Default Spring?

Hey Alaskans. Her in the mid Atlantic region, spring is really coming early. Daffodils up, trees budding, some ready to bloom. Easter is the earliest it can be but the season is still ahead. My question is " how is the season progressing up there?" . Are the fish going to be on the early side ? Are the bears going to come out early this year?
    Hhounds

I'll let you know about the bears tomorrow....still snow on the ground and the last I heard, the Kenai was getting hammered with snow.

Spring seems to be a tad early around Anchorage, but that could all change quickly with a late snow storm. Palmer golf course opened up last weekend and there is already mountain biking to be had in the Kepler-Bradley area. It's pretty early for those pursuits, but hunting and fishing may be another matter.

Word is that some bears have already been active on the Anchorage hillside. That being said, more Southcental bear hunting is done in the Kenai Mountains or the Talkeetna Mountains, both areas that have been hammered by snow this winter. So...some areas might have early bears, but not all areas. PWS is still getting slammed with snow as well.

As for fish, an early melt does not necessarily mean early runs of salmon. In fact, it could have the opposite effect due to lower water levels and higher water temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Spring seems to be a tad early around Anchorage, but that could all change quickly with a late snow storm. Palmer golf course opened up last weekend and there is already mountain biking to be had in the Kepler-Bradley area. It's pretty early for those pursuits, but hunting and fishing may be another matter.

Word is that some bears have already been active on the Anchorage hillside. That being said, more Southcental bear hunting is done in the Kenai Mountains or the Talkeetna Mountains, both areas that have been hammered by snow this winter. So...some areas might have early bears, but not all areas. PWS is still getting slammed with snow as well.

As for fish, an early melt does not necessarily mean early runs of salmon. In fact, it could have the opposite effect due to lower water levels and higher water temps.
    I'm going to be blackie hunting and fishing in GMU16B in mid June. I hope they don't all get rubbed before then.
    Hhounds

If the weather stays warm like it has been you might be shooting a baldy. If anyone out there see's any brown bears in Chugach State Park i'd be interested to know where you saw it. Hopefully after tonights flight i'll have an idea on where to start looking for a big one.

Cool Spring?? not up here!

I don’t know about the rest of you guys but I went up to my camp (Noatak River) over the weekend and it was –32 Saturday morning. It was sunny but –32 is not quite spring yet! Think bears, overflow and ***** willows!

But here is the bright side! I saw 100's of healthy caribou and more moose then I have seen in years! Makes me think warm fuzzy thoughts for fall 08! Lock and Load!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    Last edited by Gulkana Rafting; 03-24-2008 at 17:29. Reason: spelling

Northern SE is thawing out nicely. Nothing but slush on the ground and true snow-line is up over 1000 feet most days. We glassed a few bears out south of town a week or two ago, and the first few spring/winter kings have already been caught...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Went flying after work up Ship Creek valley, saw several moose and lots of tracks but no sign of any bruins yet. Tried to fly up Peters Creek valley but it was way to windy. Will try again very soon.

I went climbing and skiing up Peter's Creek valley yesterday (Eklutna Peak, to be precise). You're right - it was a bit windy up on the ridge. We didn't see any bear sign, and it was a bit chilly up there for them to be moving around. That being said, there has already been a lot of melting up high, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the bears emerging with the next prolonged warm spell.

A guide friend of mine said to wait another week/week and a half and we should start seeing some sign. I'd like to see some more snow melt before I get after one of those bruins, i've only walked in snowshoes once in my life and remember it wasn't much fun but snow does have it's advantages when packing stuff out. Haven't looked down by Bird Ridge or Indian Creek yet and I know there are some bears down that way.

Have I mentioned yet that I'm insanely jealous of your permit? Man...first Chugach brown bear hunt in years. You, sir, are one fortunate man.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Went flying after work up Ship Creek valley, saw several moose and lots of tracks but no sign of any bruins yet. Tried to fly up Peters Creek valley but it was way to windy. Will try again very soon.
    Did you see that the bears at Big Game Alaska (or whatever its called now) are up and out of their dens. However they're in a controlled environment.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Have I mentioned yet that I'm insanely jealous of your permit? Man...first Chugach brown bear hunt in years. You, sir, are one fortunate man.
    Yeah, I will admit that I have had good luck with bear tags, putting in twice and drawn both times but i'd trade every tag i've ever drawn for 1 shot at a DMA or Tok sheep hunt. I've been stoked about this hunt since the day I drew and the time is getting close to when i'll be able to go on foot and look for one. I've had lots of friends volunteer to go with me, I wonder if they will still feel the same should I get lucky and tag a big one and I ask for their services to extract from the field.......

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Yeah, I will admit that I have had good luck with bear tags, putting in twice and drawn both times but i'd trade every tag i've ever drawn for 1 shot at a DMA or Tok sheep hunt. I've been stoked about this hunt since the day I drew and the time is getting close to when i'll be able to go on foot and look for one. I've had lots of friends volunteer to go with me, I wonder if they will still feel the same should I get lucky and tag a big one and I ask for their services to extract from the field.......
    If you cut the hide in half I'll help pack it out.

Default just my thoughts

AK45

I used to hunt in chugach state park area, I would drive thru Ft Richardson, just shy of the ski resort area there would be a pull off on the right, from there would be a trail that would take you up the mtn, I would walk 1/2 way up, then side hill over to a couple of fir trees that provided protection from the elements. I know that I have seen several nice bears in there--and wished that the area had been open 2 years ago as I had a 8' right below me about 800yd away with the wind in my face, I just sat and watched him. I would think if you could hike in a couple of hills over that you would have a good vantage of the area. That was always my favorite spot after work--shot my first black bear up there--packing it out sucked

Good Luck

Default Ak45

Too bad you dont ski. Ski in with snowshoes on your back pulling a pulk sounds like good recipe for sucess for that tag. Good Luck. Looking forward to some pics, I put in for that tag too.

If only they included the Eagle River drainage in that tag, Eagle River Drainage might have more brownies than the rest of the park combined.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thats probably why they didn't include it, it would be to easy of a hunt. That's ok though, it will help me get in shape for sheep hunting and being 1 of only 3 hunters in the park I really like my odds.