Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Homer Eagles

  1. #1
    Member tull777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    825

    Default Homer Eagles

    Spent a couple of days with the wife in Homer shooting Eagles. The light was a bit poor, but still had a great time.







    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

    http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


    "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

  2. #2
    Member EricL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska to Stay
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Tull, looks like you captured some great ones there. You're right, the light was not good that day. Good job!! Love the first one especially...
    EricL

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    what size lens were you shooting with? What camera?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fishhook Alaska
    Posts
    30

    Default Homer

    Very nice shots. I was also wondering what lens you were shooting with? Are those cropped or full frame and sized down?

    We were down in Homer this weekend too. You are right about the lighting being bad, Saturday stunk, but Sunday was better. We still had fun and got a few nice shots. Early Sunday morning was pretty good for us once the clouds broke. We ended up staying a little later than we were planning since the lighting was good, and got caught in the blizzard on the way back. We were in the only RV on the spit, hopefully you didn't get stuck behind us on the way back through Turnigain Pass. It was a little scary driving an RV in blizzard like conditions with summer tires, I used the turn offs when I could and figured that I could get through them, some of them were DEEP.

  5. #5
    Member tull777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Tull, looks like you captured some great ones there. You're right, the light was not good that day. Good job!! Love the first one especially...
    Thank You Eric!

    Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    what size lens were you shooting with? What camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic-moose View Post
    Very nice shots. I was also wondering what lens you were shooting with? Are those cropped or full frame and sized down?

    We were down in Homer this weekend too. You are right about the lighting being bad, Saturday stunk, but Sunday was better. We still had fun and got a few nice shots. Early Sunday morning was pretty good for us once the clouds broke. We ended up staying a little later than we were planning since the lighting was good, and got caught in the blizzard on the way back. We were in the only RV on the spit, hopefully you didn't get stuck behind us on the way back through Turnigain Pass. It was a little scary driving an RV in blizzard like conditions with summer tires, I used the turn offs when I could and figured that I could get through them, some of them were DEEP.
    I used a Canon 100-400mm IS lens, 30D camera and no crop. After Jean left, I was able to sneak around and get a few close-ups.

    I missed the snow storm. We must have left just ahead of it.

    Thanks guys!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

    http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


    "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

  6. #6
    Member EricL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska to Stay
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arctic-moose View Post
    Very nice shots. I was also wondering what lens you were shooting with? Are those cropped or full frame and sized down?

    We were down in Homer this weekend too. You are right about the lighting being bad, Saturday stunk, but Sunday was better. We still had fun and got a few nice shots. Early Sunday morning was pretty good for us once the clouds broke. We ended up staying a little later than we were planning since the lighting was good, and got caught in the blizzard on the way back. We were in the only RV on the spit, hopefully you didn't get stuck behind us on the way back through Turnigain Pass. It was a little scary driving an RV in blizzard like conditions with summer tires, I used the turn offs when I could and figured that I could get through them, some of them were DEEP.
    Man Moose, how things change weather wise, huh??? Glad you made it ok...
    EricL

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    I keep thinking I will go down there some March, but never do. Jean King isn't going to last forever either, and then the opportunity will cease to exist, so I'd better get myself in gear.

    Great shots though, Tull. I especially like the one of the three birds roosting in formation. I think that is probably the most famous tree stump in the world though.

  8. #8
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Thumbs up Nice...

    Pretty work man. I too like the shot of the three eagles together. I have the Canon 100-400 lens as well. I just bought it about 6 weeks ago. I have wondered what it was capable of. Nice to see some of your eagle images taken with it. You motivate me to get out and learn how to use it. I am working on Nantucket,Mass now so I guess it will be gulls instead of eagles. Thanks for sharing the images!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  9. #9

    Default

    Nice shots!
    The detail is great. IS must come in handy when shooting these birds.
    Im guessing you were shooting all the way in 400mm to get those shots?

    Im visiting AK for a while in June and the furthest I can shoot is 300mm with a tokina. Hope that will suffice. Im already spending so much on fishing, I dont know if I could handle getting another lens!

  10. #10
    Member trapperrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seward, AK
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tull777 View Post
    Spent a couple of days with the wife in Homer shooting Eagles...
    I love shooting eagles; they're delicious! They taste just like manatee, LOL. JUST TEASING!! Beautiful shots, did Jean Keene run you off with a stick?

  11. #11
    Member tull777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I keep thinking I will go down there some March, but never do. Jean King isn't going to last forever either, and then the opportunity will cease to exist, so I'd better get myself in gear.

    Great shots though, Tull. I especially like the one of the three birds roosting in formation. I think that is probably the most famous tree stump in the world though.
    Thanks Jim ...You gotta make the trip, it's worth it!

    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Pretty work man. I too like the shot of the three eagles together. I have the Canon 100-400 lens as well. I just bought it about 6 weeks ago. I have wondered what it was capable of. Nice to see some of your eagle images taken with it. You motivate me to get out and learn how to use it. I am working on Nantucket,Mass now so I guess it will be gulls instead of eagles. Thanks for sharing the images!
    Thanks Dan ...good luck with the Gull shoot and don't forget the garlic.

    Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Nice shots!
    The detail is great. IS must come in handy when shooting these birds.
    Im guessing you were shooting all the way in 400mm to get those shots?

    Im visiting AK for a while in June and the furthest I can shoot is 300mm with a tokina. Hope that will suffice. Im already spending so much on fishing, I dont know if I could handle getting another lens!
    Even at 400mm ...I wish I had the 500mm.

    Enjoy your trip in June, I'm sure that the 300mm will work just fine! Thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by trapperrick View Post
    I love shooting eagles; they're delicious! They taste just like manatee, LOL. JUST TEASING!! Beautiful shots, did Jean Keene run you off with a stick?
    Manatee ...Eagles??? You haven't lived unless you have tried Panda Tacos!

    Jean didnt yell at me but her minion did. HA!

    Thanks for the look.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

    http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


    "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Awesome Pictures!!
    Here is some of my Homer Pictures from this past weekend. Lighting wasn't good for me either.






    Feel free to check out more of my photos.

  13. #13
    Member tull777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    825

    Default

    [QUOTE=alaskarain;242096]Awesome Pictures!!
    Here is some of my Homer Pictures from this past weekend. Lighting wasn't good for me either.QUOTE]

    Wow Lady, you did real good!!! Well done!

    Those are nice and the three on the stump ...wonder if they are the same three in my shot? HA!

    Thanks for sharing those ...it reminds me that I need a longer lens!

    Some day.

    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

    http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


    "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

  14. #14
    Member Sierra Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Tull and Alaskarain, I hope a couple of these are adorning your walls, they're that good.

    Tull - #1 is special, great detail, perfect focus. #4 has the potential to be the same, it looks like the black details are blown out a little, no doubt due to the light playing havoc with your meter.

    Alaskarain, #4 is excellente, maybe a little soft for my taste. Again, black details are a little underexposed. Excellent capture.

    Keep shooting, I love your work.

    Cheers,

    SH

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    408

    Default My contribution

    First and foremost I'll start by saying.... I'm no photographer... I used a cheap old digital camera and had been drinking way too many frosty beverages when I caught this photo...
    But hey even I get lucky sometimes...

    Homer 2007

    ps... those above pictures are AWESOME!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WinMag; 04-04-2008 at 22:50. Reason: additional info

  16. #16
    Member tull777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    Tull and Alaskarain, I hope a couple of these are adorning your walls, they're that good.

    Tull - #1 is special, great detail, perfect focus. #4 has the potential to be the same, it looks like the black details are blown out a little, no doubt due to the light playing havoc with your meter.

    Alaskarain, #4 is excellente, maybe a little soft for my taste. Again, black details are a little underexposed. Excellent capture.

    Keep shooting, I love your work.

    Cheers,

    SH
    Thanks Sierra! I need to purchase a camera flash. A fill flash would have helped a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    First and foremost I'll start by saying.... I'm no photographer... I used a cheap old digital camera and had been drinking way too many frosty beverages when I caught this photo...
    But hey even I get lucky sometimes...

    Homer 2007

    ps... those above pictures are AWESOME!!!
    Nice shot WinMag! I sure would like to get a shot of an Eagle with a flag. Well Done!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

    http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


    "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Tull, when I look at your photos on your website its uncanny how simular our shots are.

    I was "allowed" to walk right up to the eagle in #4 photo, he landed in a tree next to my car at lands end, I did not want to spook him by digging for my other lens in the car, at that point I was only a couple feet from him and had my 55-200mm lens on. I slowly worked my way closer to him I was to close to be really using that lens, and it don't have a stabilizer. I was shaking so badly, mostly from cold but party to from being almost right under him. So although its not one of my finest but its certainly one of my most memorable.


    Life is beautiful, capture it forever
    www.rainsrealm.org
    Feel free to check out more of my photos.

  18. #18
    Member tull777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskarain View Post
    Tull, when I look at your photos on your website its uncanny how simular our shots are.

    I was "allowed" to walk right up to the eagle in #4 photo, he landed in a tree next to my car at lands end, I did not want to spook him by digging for my other lens in the car, at that point I was only a couple feet from him and had my 55-200mm lens on. I slowly worked my way closer to him I was to close to be really using that lens, and it don't have a stabilizer. I was shaking so badly, mostly from cold but party to from being almost right under him. So although its not one of my finest but its certainly one of my most memorable.


    Life is beautiful, capture it forever
    www.rainsrealm.org
    That's great! Creating memories is the best part of photography ...I think. Cant wait to get back to Homer this next Winter to shoot some more. If I'm not mistaken, this will be the last year she will be able to feed the eagles legally. We will see.

    Have fun .................Eddie
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

    http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


    "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •