Thread: Meat Wagon Designs

Default Meat Wagon Designs

Seeing most of us who own and ride ATV's also use them for getting into base hunting camps I thought this thread might be informative.
    I am own my third design in the last 17 years. The perfect trailer would be all aluminum and the bed would be 48 inches long and 30 wide. The tongue would be 3 feet long as I find a longer tongue makes it easier to make extreme uphill or down hill departures and it also helps when trying to back up.
    When I had my last trailer built I was unable to afford one of all aluminum so this is how it was built:
    Size of the bed is 48 by 30 and the box is also 30 inches tall. The frame is square tubing steel and is reinforced at all corners. I had the frame designed so the box is removeable from it so I can use the trailer as a flat bed. On the corners on the frame I had my builder weld a 8 in piece of angle iron going up. These pieces hold a small piece of 2x4 that will slide in and convert it to a flat bed with ease. The wheels are designed so they sit on the outside of the bed to keep the center of mass center and as low as possible. I know you see a lot of trailers out there with the wheels close together and part of the bed on top of them but in my experience this is a invitation to flip your trailer the first time you side hill. Been there and done that, thank you.
    In front of the tires I had a piece of metal welded to the frame at a 45 degree angle. These pieces help deflect trees and bushes from getting caught in the axles. My box is made of aluminum. I am guessing the total weight of the empty trailer is about 140 pounds. I believe I paid $900 to have the trailer built and that was about 2 years ago. Using an aluminum frame would of upped the price considerably. Wished now I would of done it.

I like the PakRat, especially the model with the walking beam axles and dual wheels. I've been using the Sportsman II model for a couple of years now and I'm very pleased with its performance and the customer service is second to none. 2 years ago i hauled a whole cut up moose and our camp back to the truck, about a 19 mile trip across several rivers and a nasty mudded up flat section of trail, they are bombproof.

Default simple

Mine is a VERY simple steel and wood design, probably one of the first designs to appear after the wheelers. It is a "T" frame style (tongue is perpendicular to and welded to )the axle. The box is 1/2" plywood 24" high x 48" long x 24" wide and can be completely made from 1 sheet of plywood. Angle Iron re-inforced and "L" brackets along the joints of the plywood. Wheels are on the outside of the box.

It isn't the biggest trailer, but it holds plenty of stuff. I usually load it with the heavy things like fuel and water which keeps the center of gravity low. I welded bent chain links on the metal uprights for bungee cord anchor points. I have only tipped it over once and I doubt there is any trailer that would have stayed upright in the particular situation.
    Last edited by AKmud; 08-01-2006 at 21:38.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Dang snowwolfe, you just about described mine to a T. I keep it in Tok, since thats where I do most of my hunting. Mines made out of aluminum diamond plating. I got a piece of aluminum at a 45degree angle only in front of the box though. Plus I have a diamond plate lid that I can haul 6-8 fuel cans (depending on size). I got about $500 wrapped up in mine. To bad I dont ever use it...lol

When you guys rolled your trailers, how did the tounges fare?

I was thinking of putting a swivel in mine for when I do roll it, it doesn't twist the tounge.

Farmer grant, I got a small cheap wagon I keep in anchorage for local trips and well, last time I rolled that one it didnt fair to well. Unless you call a major dogtrack going down the trail good...lol

I pretty much made a new frame, mounted the axle and put the tub on it. So far I havent rolled my aluminum one yet, but its solid, I dont have any worries about it.

Thumbs up It did OK...

Mine did all right. It popped off the ball when it got to the tipping over part. I was kind of glad because I was on the verge of tipping over my 6x6 as well! I'm not sure if I would go with a swivel because sometimes it may be the resistance in the hitch that keeps it from going over occasionally.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I never rolled one of mine that has the wheels set outside the box. But you did bring up a good point and that is the coupler is usually the weak point. I always carry an extra.