Thread: Greenhouses

Default Greenhouses

Anybody have pics of their greenhouses? Also looking for plans on building one this summer. Will probably go with a wood base, sort of like a wood shed, and then have the top half of it either be glass, plastic, or some other material for getting the greenhouse effect.

Jmg
    Here is a pic of mine on the day I finished it. As far as plans go I just built a platform leaving the corner posts long so they could be used as corners. If you stick with a even number of feet between the posts its really easy to stick frame using 2 foot centers. Just add a stringer for your solid portion of wall, a header for a door and start sheeting. Lowe's has 3 different types of plastic, one heavy and slightly cloudy, one heavy and clear, and a light clear, they are all designed for use in a green house. I used the heavy and clear on one side of the roof and the slightly cloudy on the other, so far we like the cloudy better. The light clear was used for the sides. The green house is 10 x 14.

Before you buy plans or a package Drop me a PM. We could use some extra cash and I might be able to help you save some dough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default another greenhouse for your consideration

I started this greenhouse last fall- got it enclosed before the snow flew, but I still have work to do- building containers and getting topsoil being the main chore. 24' X 12' About $3000 in materials. Covering is Suntuf polycarbonate corrugated sheets. There are double layered sheets (ie insulating) available also, but since I only plan to use it seasonally I didn't go with that more expensive option. I'm looking forward to some great veggies this summer!
    LBenz

If you'll PM me your email address, I've got a set of plans in pdf format I'd be glad to share.

That goes for anyone.

Note though, I'm out of pocket working on my cabin in Talkeetna from time to time and a way from the computer, so don't fret if it takes a few days for me to get back to you.

Oddly, I can't see thumbnails.
    I think this year, I am going to go with a cheap one, but he husband wants to build me a very nice indoor/outdoor garden... so that might be a continuous project from this year into next year.
    We know where it will be located, though. Next to the pond... and we plan on putting a pump on it so that we can just pump the water out of our pond to water our garden.
    Lurker.

Bump.

I had thought that I previously saw something about 'post a pic of yours' for greenhouses.
    AlaskaGrandma reminded me of this thread a couple of days ago when I saw her Greenhouse on another thread.

Maybe it's time that we post a pic of yours for our greenhouses once again.
    At least it would get us all started and motivated for the season.
    FOUR more weeks until tomatoes start in our home!!!!
    Lurker.

Are these one of your plans?

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Are these one of your plans?

Do you mean one that I'm planning on building?

If so, the 10x12 is the one I'd like to build this spring.

Thumbs up Old and unimproved

Here is my greenhouse, currently in winter storage mode. Pardon the crowd, none of them are mine. The cat is a wild one that lives in the woods and steals from me.

Gonna build a new one when this one falls down.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Ours

My wife and I built this last year. 2X6 construction and insulated. Twin wall polycarbonate for the glazing. It's 10x12 because of Muni ordinance...would be better if it was bigger

It still needs trim and we're fighting over what color to paint it. I'd also like to put a heater in it....maybe this spring.

Keep these coming!
    I saw one of the most beautiful greenhouses in Wasilla last year when we made a stop at a friend's house to visit his family and his parents.
    She had radiant heat going to their greenhouse. It was pretty amazing.
    Lurker.

Unhappy radiant heat and request more greenhouse pics

Hey CotoAK,

Do you recall what type of pipe that radiant system used?? I have been thinking of doing that...and have been wondering if I could get away with cheap pvc or even garden hose.

Eggy,

What a great greenhouse!! I can't wait to hear what you like about it this growing season!

LBenz and Rick P,

Try to post those pics again!! I would love to see what you did!

I don't have any greenhouse pics to share. But I will post my raised bed pics later.

greenhouse 001.jpg Lets see if I did this right. I built this last year 10x12. I thought it would be large enough. The wife was right, it's not. It's not a kit, just something I drew up. Guess I had better start thinking of an addition.

Quote Originally Posted by grcg View Post
    Hey CotoAK,

Do you recall what type of pipe that radiant system used?? I have been thinking of doing that...and have been wondering if I could get away with cheap pvc or even garden hose.
    Good question. I am really not sure, but what I do know is that we are still definitely discussing this. We were considering doing an additional line from our wood boiler to go outside and make this happen for our greenhouse. We just discussed it yesterday, actually. I'll ask my husband specifically about the pvc pipe or the garden hose, but I am pretty sure that the heating tube we will use is a red heating tube that we have for the radiant heat exchange throughout our house. I can take a picture of that for you, if you would like. I am sure that we purchased it at Frontier Plumbing Supply.
    Lurker.

Are Greenhouses a bear magnet for any reason.....?

Default greenhouse

the tubing for infloor heat is red or blue, it should work for your greenhouse. Look for it at home depot or lowes cheaper than at plumbing store. As for outer material I used lexan stays clearer alot longer and is still flexible at 0 degrees (flex for snow load about 6'') even a 12 x 12 is still to small not enough room for cucs toms or peppers