Thread: Things you need on a boat

Default Things you need on a boat

I've seen a couple threads on buying a new boat and I thought I'd pass along the things I've found out the hard way that I needed on my boat and had to add as time has gone by. I go out in PWS a lot in my 17ft.

1. Best money I ever spent was on a float switch for the bilge pump. You'd be amazed at the amount of water that comes in during nasty weather, with the float switch it just turns on/off as needed and I dont have to worry about it.

2. Kicker motor, never go out in the salt with only one motor, AK is too sparsely populated to rely on rowing to the shore and finding a town. Saves gas when trolling too.

3. Windshield wipers, lot of rain/spray, otherwise can't see dammit when on plane zipping along in rainy weather, rainx didnt help much. Too many logs in the water.

4. 12v suction-cup defogger for inside windshield, cold+rain = really foggy windows, again cant see dammit when zipping along. No fog crud isnt worth much.

5. Bow docking lights, pucker factor is high when trying to find the boat ramp in pitch black on a cloudy night.

6. Fish finder of course

7. GPS with bottom map, mines a Garmin handheld and have a dash holder, REALLY easy to get turned around in fog/low vis condition.

And then are the "Nice things to have":

8. 2 x 12V plug in sockets for dash, plugs in GPS/cell phone charger/ coffee maker/ all kinds of other gadgets.

9. Downriggers, only way to troll deep, planers are a pain.

10. Waterproof bag with a set of extra sweats, deck shoes & socks. Somebodys gonna get drenched sooner or later, and when its your wife you'll be hearing about it for years afterwards......

11. Ziplock bag with toilet paper, sooner or later gonna have one of those "gotta go" moments.

12. Oh yeah... cupholders, gotta have somewhere you put your beverage of choice down where it won't tip over....

Anybody else think of anything I missed?

Oh yeah, and extra rope and a pully to get you off a dang sand/gravel bar.

Question Re: type of boat your running

I was curious as to what 17 footer you are running. Specifically:
    (1) What brand boat?
    (2) What is powering it?
    (3) Do you have hydraulics on the motor?
    (4) Did you have to get "creative" with mounting the kicker?
    (5) Did

I am looking at an 18' aluminum skiff. No windshield just an open boat. I want to be able to use it everywhere (i.e., on the Kenai, on lakes, on the ocean). Any other suggestsions. Good post.

Thanks.

Question One more question

5.) What is your fuel set-up?

(Forgot to include this one.)

Quote Originally Posted by AKUNITED View Post

I am looking at an 18' aluminum skiff. No windshield just an open boat. I want to be able to use it everywhere (i.e., on the Kenai, on lakes, on the ocean). Any other suggestsions. Good post.

Thanks.
    This one could fit the bill. http://www.klamathboats.com/center.html Although there is no one boat that does it all well, an 18 foot klamath is a great skiff for rivers, lakes and the ocean IF you watch the weather.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Its an odd boat

Its a 1992 Spectrum 1700 "fish and ski" by Blu Fin. They dont make them any more, its got a deep V hull which is great for the salt.
    Its almost the perfect "everything" boat, enough room for 2 guys to camp out on, small enough for the rivers, big enough to go through 3 foot swells.

I repowered the boat last year with a prop 75 HP yamaha with power tilt and trim, I can cruise at 30 MPH (measured by GPS) at 5000 RPM. Wishing I'd gotten the 90HP instead, on the other hand I get really excellent mileage - the most I've ever used in one day is 15 gallons of fuel, and that was me going way the heck out and back out of whittier.

I had to get a little creative with the kicker, the tiller arm kept hitting the side of the boat because I had to move it way over to clear the main motor, so I C-clamped a piece of 2 inch thick oak board to the transom to raise it up enough to clear the side. It looks kind of ghetto but it works, the clamps are rusting now tho.

Fuel tank is a under-floor 30 gallon and my kicker has a 6 gallon seperate tank that stashes in the rear.

Which brings up another essential thing:

13 Fuel hand pump, for when you need to tranfer fuel from one tank to another. I've used mine only once tho, refilled the kicker motors tank after a day of trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    It looks kind of ghetto but it works, the clamps are rusting now tho.
    Paint! Cheap fix.

Default so -

how well does that boat run on a river? Seems you would need at least 20 inches of water - probably more???

Beer and hookers.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    I've seen a couple threads on buying a new boat and I thought I'd pass along the things I've found out the hard way that I needed on my boat and had to add as time has gone by. I go out in PWS a lot in my 17ft.

1. Best money I ever spent was on a float switch for the bilge pump. You'd be amazed at the amount of water that comes in during nasty weather, with the float switch it just turns on/off as needed and I dont have to worry about it.

2. Kicker motor, never go out in the salt with only one motor, AK is too sparsely populated to rely on rowing to the shore and finding a town. Saves gas when trolling too.

3. Windshield wipers, lot of rain/spray, otherwise can't see dammit when on plane zipping along in rainy weather, rainx didnt help much. Too many logs in the water.

4. 12v suction-cup defogger for inside windshield, cold+rain = really foggy windows, again cant see dammit when zipping along. No fog crud isnt worth much.

5. Bow docking lights, pucker factor is high when trying to find the boat ramp in pitch black on a cloudy night.

6. Fish finder of course

7. GPS with bottom map, mines a Garmin handheld and have a dash holder, REALLY easy to get turned around in fog/low vis condition.

And then are the "Nice things to have":

8. 2 x 12V plug in sockets for dash, plugs in GPS/cell phone charger/ coffee maker/ all kinds of other gadgets.

9. Downriggers, only way to troll deep, planers are a pain.

10. Waterproof bag with a set of extra sweats, deck shoes & socks. Somebodys gonna get drenched sooner or later, and when its your wife you'll be hearing about it for years afterwards......

11. Ziplock bag with toilet paper, sooner or later gonna have one of those "gotta go" moments.

12. Oh yeah... cupholders, gotta have somewhere you put your beverage of choice down where it won't tip over....

Anybody else think of anything I missed?
    Yeah, common sense, slow down when you can't see

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default more stuff

handheld waterproof VHF radio w/ extra batteries - for when your electronics short out or battery dies

laminated foldable nautical charts

handheld rechargeable spotlight

extra prop and pins

siphon hose

compass - dash mounted

spare anchor

Default safety conscience

My boat is on the way, but things I intend to carry aboard are:

- Handheld VHF with extra batteries (already mentioned)
    - Charts of the area.
    - Flashlights and dome lights with their own battery
    - Lifejackets with lights and whistles attached
    - Space blankets just in case someone falls in the drink
    - A tool set for engine repair or other items around the boat and extra fuses.
    - set of flares, handheld and parachute and a canister or two of orange smoke (better for daylight)
    - Rain-X for the windows
    - A basic first aid kit with antiseptic and aspirin added.
    - Fillet gloves.
    - Pocket knife with easy access.
    - A safe place to keep a gaff without poking people.
    - Garbage bags for trash (better to keep the boat clean as you go rather than at home or the dock.)
    - Deck brush and bucket to get the fish slime and blood off the deck rather than letting the stuff harden and get crusty hours later.
    - Entertainment like a CD player or AM/FM radio for guests that may not want to hear the engine they whole time and makes it fun when the fish are chewing and to have some rock music blasting.

That's it for now, but there are other things for every boater. Except for the handheld VHF I didn't see the other things listed and think they may be important on many boats
    -

Hand-held bilge pump (not too practical for bigger boats). Survival suits (now how to put them on in adverse conditions, practice on boat in rough seas).
    Jim

Default good eyes and brains

good eyes to look ahead and see bad weather.
    brains to realize its better to live and fish another day.

A ditch bag that has all your emergency signaling and survival gear in it and can be grabbed in a hurry if you have to abandon your boat.

Default A handheld GPS/PLB

I would highly advise a ACR handheld GPS/PLB along with those immersion suits.

We send hundreds of people to see every year where I work and we equip all of them with it. It has been used in commercial settings and worked.

A vessel just sank 180 miles west of Dutch........you know what the CG heard? The observers PLBs. Saved reaction time and may have saved lives.

$500 is a small price to pay for survival.