Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: remote cabin staking program

Default remote cabin staking program

First let me appoligize if this is one of those things that comes up repeatedly. I did a search to no avail.

Has anyone participated in the State run Remote Recreational Cabin staking program?http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/lands...e_recsites.htm

If so:

Would you do it again?
    What would you do differently?
    Any advise?
    I can afford 20 acres (i hope) but is 5 enough?

I would appreciate any insite you can offer. Again if this has been brought up before can you direct me to the link?
    Thanks

I have and it is a neat program. I had no problems at all. It does however take a bit of time from the actual staking to the time that they get it valued and the opportunity to purchase it. In the mean time you just lease it. Took me 3 years from start to finish and I purchased at the first opportunity presented me. Oh and the state will finance you too.

Yes I would do it again and probably change nothing. Oh and get the 20 acres allowed

Default thanks

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at it for sometime but you are the first I've heard any experience from. I think I'm gonna go for it. Can you begin building permanent structures durring the lease? I think you can but wasn't sure.

I also sent you a PM.

Bobby

Default On the fence

I think that if it is importiant to you to determine the boundaries of your property, or they are offering land in an area your are REALLY interested in, or you want to have the experience, then I would reccomend it.

If you are purely looking for recreational land, it is not nessasarily the economical or practical way to go. They value the land at what they assess the going rate is. And that is not nessasarily a deal. Our family got selected for 2 properties several years ago, so we staked two pieces (different offerings) One ended up being the price we figured it would be, and one ended up being a lot more. They say that the 2-lane highway wide firebreak that they cut in right next to the property (that made our remote land ALOT less remote - by the way) didn't have an effect on the price. But I just don't see that anything else changed so much that would have effected our estimated price that much.

Anyway, it is definitely an experience. I don't think we'd do it again unless it were an area we really wanted. That being said, we really like the lots that we got. We started our cabin when we were still in the lease period.

Take your digital camera when you stake. Take LOTS of pictures. It is a lot easier later if you have pictures.

Yes you can start building but if you don't buy then you may have to when you end the lease. I started mine before I bought.

The state gives you an estimated cost range say from 500 to 800 per acre that includes the survey costs which you agree to pay for rather you buy or lease. In my case the valuation came in at the low end of the range. Needless to say I was thrilled. This was true for all the stakers in our offering also.

The whole thing is easy if you can run a chain saw and use a gps

Also replied to your pm

Default Thanks

That is awesome, thanks for the replies. Looks like we are going to go for it.

This sounds like a neat program, I have a few questions if you all don't mind:

Is it difficult to get a permit or is there a lot of competition? I'm sure this is dependant on the area, but for more the most part, based on the very limited access of most of these past offerings, I'm assuming one could stand a good chance of being awarded a permit. Is that correct?

Once you are awarded a staking permit, how long do you have to get out there, stake the area and report back with your parcel information for appraisal?

How do you "stake" an area? Do you go out there and record the Lat/Long with a GPS and put that info on the application?

What else am I missing?

Thanks,
    Bobble

Bobble if you are in Alaska (Anchorage Area) go talk to Kathy, who is at the front. She can SHOW you on maps where the leases are and what is still avalible. Also... you may wanna hold on until Sept. as there is going to be a Alaska land sale. March is when they send out the paperwork and I think you bid on it through April.... so they are going to be busy. If you are really interested in it, go around 11 AM - 1PM as that is when they are pretty slow and can answer your questions at the PIC in the Atwood Building, 12th floor.

Hope you find a plot of land.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    This sounds like a neat program, I have a few questions if you all don't mind:

Is it difficult to get a permit or is there a lot of competition? I'm sure this is dependant on the area, but for more the most part, based on the very limited access of most of these past offerings, I'm assuming one could stand a good chance of being awarded a permit. Is that correct?

Once you are awarded a staking permit, how long do you have to get out there, stake the area and report back with your parcel information for appraisal?

How do you "stake" an area? Do you go out there and record the Lat/Long with a GPS and put that info on the application?

What else am I missing?

Thanks,
    Bobble
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Upinak,

Thanks, I'm actually not in Anchorage at the moment. I've been looking at the proposed staking areas for 2009 and waiting for that period to open as there are a few areas that interest me. Is the March-April time frame you speak of the application period for the 2009 staking areas? Thanks.

Bobble

Bobble I am not sure, as I am looking for land to buy not just cabin staking. Cabin staking (even though I am going to build a cabin one day) takes to long to get all the paperwork, surveys and so on. So I am staying away from it.

I know they are going to start sending out the paper (looks like a news paper with all the maps and sites of where what is etc) in March. March 1st. comes to mind... but I don't know if that is correct. I would call the PIC office and see if you can get on their mailing list for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Upinak,

Thanks, I'm actually not in Anchorage at the moment. I've been looking at the proposed staking areas for 2009 and waiting for that period to open as there are a few areas that interest me. Is the March-April time frame you speak of the application period for the 2009 staking areas? Thanks.

Bobble
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Upinak, thanks for the info

Default news paper

did it come out in the papers today?
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Spring 2009 Cabin Staking Brochure release date is tentatively planned for March 16, 2009.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/

Go to that site and sign up online for a paper.

But you can download all the information as well if you have adobe.

Default standard procedure

from what i gather, the standard procedure is to...

1. get in the lottery for the area you want
    2. get drawn
    3. go to that area stake out a location
    4. bring that location to DNR
    5. get it appraised
    6. pay for it

...am i way off?

Default standard procedure

Y2,
    Yeah that looks about right from what I've been reading. It seems like a pretty good deal if you don't mind being patient since it takes a long time for the land to actually be yours. However, in the mean time, you can build a cabin, spend time out there (as long as it's not permanent residence) hiking, hunting, fishing, whatever you do.

What area are you looking at?

If anyone else has done this or has any advice it's welcomed as this is my first time doing this.

-bobble

Default remote land

i put in for the area off the glen

Y2,
    Ridgeview right? Cool, that looks like a nice area, good luck. I'm looking for somewhere a little more remote though.

Do you know if there is a lot of competition for these permits? I guess it depends on a lot of factors...?

Default yah probably

im new at this so i dont know much about it...i dont have a plane or a boat so the area off the glenn is perfect...i imagine its getting looked at pretty good.

Today was the deadline, hope everyone got there application in. I personally applied for the Ridgeview for it access. Im sure it will be the most sought after this year. Previously I have got 20 acres in the Kahiltna area drawing. I just this year got it into actually sale where they are financing it. It does take some time. This program is great. Its a great opportunity for people to get themselves a piece of land. If you have the money I recommend you take advantage of it if you see something you like.

Time to start dreaming, Hope this goes better than hunt draws. How is the staking process? Is it a major land rush sort of deal or a more relaxed process?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast