Thread: Fuel sensor question long

Default Fuel sensor question long

I have two 60 gal fuel tanks and a selector switch to read port or starboard tank. One tank will not read anything and I think the other one reads with questionable results. Do I need any special fuel level sending unit or will any car fuel tank unit work? I also installed a Flow scan digital flow management unit at the end of last season only to figure out after the install it is the wrong one, expensive mistake. But I will be ordering another one from Flow Scan soon with help from there tech department to insure the correct one is purchased this time (wife instructions) and sell the other one. Is the fuel gauge pointless with the fancy fuel management system installed? Or is that assumption headed for disaster? While we are on this topic I need to look under my deck because I can not see my sending units on the fuel tanks as they are below deck. I will be cutting access points above the sending units once found and don’t want a bunch of holes cut into my deck. Have any of you in boater land preformed same work on your boat? This boat is almost as expensive as my wife told me it would be.
    Willster

I would use an ohm meter to determine the resistance of your sender unit and if it is working correctly. As to how accurate it is, that’s easy, fill up gas tank and see what it takes for your gauges to read ¼, ½, ¾ full.

Smile Resistance

So these things just use resistance. Well I know a complete short or open would be bad, but do you know if they have an avrage typical range ie 10 to 45 ohm working range. Thanks
    Will

If you get the right Floscan and get it installed properly, thats all you will ever need. I mean, if you can get the sending units to work accurately, which I have never personally experienced, then thats a good backup incase the floscan fails...But they are so darn accurate I think you might be wasting time with the sending units.

Griff is correct as to the accuracy of Floscan. It will tell you EXACTLY how much fuel you have used but not how much is left! You do have to use some common sense even with Floscan.

My Flow Scan trouble was I have a return line on my TBI fuel injection and it was not supported with the model I purchased. But when I get the newer, new one it should work slick. Would you guys remove the old sending units or leave em be?
    Will

I would leave them and use as a backup. I just ordered the 9A0M-231-21 kit for my new boat that has a return line. Will have to sell the old 9000-20b-1 with the old boat.