Thread: Portable ice shelters

Default Portable ice shelters

I am looking into buying a portable ice shelter. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality shelter? Also which brands are garbage and not worth buying? Thanks in advance!

Default ice fishing

I like the otter sled/fish house, little more price wise but a lot better sled, had the eskimo sled/flip up and made the mmistake of not putting runners on the cheap plastic sled it comes with and one outing the sled was toast.

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/icehouse.html

I'm also an otter fan. Heavier duty canvas then the rest and better built I believe. It is also a lil more spendy though I ordered and had one shipped up, with seats, and tow hitch and still paid AFTER SHIPPING less then I found it locally. Pretty sad really but dont scoff looking south, especially this time of year. Lots of guys are done already and selling.

I didnt care for the lower end eskimo's. Never used there quickflips. They seem ok though I dont care for the bench.

Never used any of the ice team stuff. The blue fish house, or fishtraps. I hear they are quite nice but you'll have a hard time finding any of the blue fleet up here. Ironic there are lakes of hard core blue fishermen down south....smurfs?

Whatever you do get. first things first, go and replace the windows at alaska tent and tarp with there heavy duty window goodstuff. Works well and wont blow out on you like the regular fish house cheap crap they put in all of them. If you do, really look at them are they velcro'd or sewn. If it's sewn it's going to cost you a bit more to replace! just something to consider.

Good info. I might look into picking one up in Wisconsin and bringing it up with me instead of trying to get one up there.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Mark

I bought an Eskimo QuickFish III this past fall. It was a great investment.

I've already had it set up in gale force winds with wind chills well below zero, and there was no problem at all. A two-burner propane lantern and a small Mr. Heater kept me quite warm. I even slept in the thing a couple of nights.

If you're in WI, you'll be money well ahead when Gander has them on sale. this is how I managed my otter lodge so dang cheap!!! You will find nothing of this quality even remotely priced in the range you can find one new down there.....

If you're going to be around I leave for MN the 2nd, will be in WI 12-16 may turkey hunting. Might be a lil alte for fish house sales, but I'd bet next week will be on fire, if not, very soon.

Fleet farm would be another place I'd keep an eye on. If you like I can tell my family to keep an eye open for ya, we are on the MN WI border in Mn.

I might add it only cost me 50 bucks to ship it up here, the guy wanted 100 originally and ended up charging 50. He's in my home town in Mn and runs from there to AK. Took a couple weeks to get here though! Still after shipping and buying it I saved almost 300 bucks to buying it here locally!

Unfortunatly I don't get back to the northwoods until mid-september so most of the fire sales on ice fishing gear will already be over. Maybe I'll start a thread for suggestions on other stuff I should buy and bring up with me.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

not sure if you're talking Mn northwoods or ALaska north woods...both are...well north .

If I can help let me know. I'm not driving on this trip, but I'll be sure to hit gander bass pro, cabelas, dicks, hmm where else lol.....and more then a few times of course. Now if I can get out without spending anything it's a good day....or is that backwards? cough cough.

Dan

Of the shelters I've used, the Fish Trap seem to come to the top of my list. The 2-man Fish Trap has plenty of room for two people or is very spacious for one person. They are spendy, but having fished out of lesser quality shelters, they're worth the extra penny in my opinion. I do think the Fish Trap Scout is a tad small, even for one person. The only downside to the 2-man version is the sled is large enough to fill with lots of gear. If you're pulling it by yourself without a snow machine or ATV, it can be a work out if you're not on smooth ice. My advice, don't feel the need to "fill it up" with gear just because it holds it all.