Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower's for building an AR15

Default Lower's for building an AR15

I plan on purchasing a couple of lowers and using one to build up an AR15 with my son and it will be his rifle. This way he can understand the mechanics of it backward and forward.

Looking through the Brownells catalog reveals a Superior Arms lower for $96, Fulton Arms for $133 or a DPMS for $110.

Any reason to pick one above the other? So far I was told to pick the Superior but I know squat about lowers.
    Tennessee

I would pick the one that is advertised as a forged mil-spec lower. Most of them are as both lowers and uppers are actually manufactured by a small handful of companies that do the forgings and distibuted to the several arms makers who do the final milling, drilling and finishing on them.

However there are a couple companies out there that make their receivers out of cast billets. They claim cast makes for more consistency, but they're cast and here is no such animal as cast mil-spec.

I bought a matched stripped lower and flattop upper from these guys http://www.essentialarms.com in OD green. The price was right and customer service was great. I ordered by phone with a credit card and they shipped it to my pet FFL.

I'm building it with DPMS innards. It'll eventually be pressed into service as a patrol rifle.
    Now what ?

The quality is generally reflected in the price. Pick the best name brand you can afford

Go to http://ar15.com/ and ask the same question or do a search and you should be able to find some good information on all of them.

I actually already did that but was hoping for some advice closer to home. The Superiors and Anvil Arms are spoken highly of on the AR forum. Both cost $100.
    Tennessee

A FFL friend of mine put together a group buy on Anvil lowers. He got a great price for everyone, but Anvil is back ordered. I think lots of people are concerend about the upcoming election.

Another option is to build your own lowers using 80% billet lowers, I'm doing three. What ever you chose, don't buy anything but a stripped lower. It's a waste of money to put the parts that you pay for in a drawer when you get a trigger assembly you want, the grips are another waste of money.

Scratch builds are the best way to go.

I see nothing wrong with any of the lowers you mention above. There are only a few manufacturers of all the lowers. There is a thread somewhere that tells you who makes all the different lowers by name.

As to cast V billet, it really does not mean squat on a lower. There are lowers out there that are made of 17-4PH stainless, or Bronze. The lower means so little, it's the upper that counts. I don't even care if the lower is made of 6061 T-6, most are made of 7075 T-6. It's not like you are going to wear a lower out.

The smart move now is to buy as many as you can get your hands on. After November expect it to triple in value.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I actually already did that but was hoping for some advice closer to home. The Superiors and Anvil Arms are spoken highly of on the AR forum. Both cost $100.

I buit a 6.8 SPC on an Anvil Arms lower last summer. Life time warranty. Very good product and am getting ready to order another one for a 450 Bushmaster project.

Thumbs up Lower

I have a Superior Arms lower fits very good to the DPMS upper.

But if I had to pick in order

Make sure its TO75

Armalite
    Rock River
    Stag
    DPMS
    Sup. Arms

Rock river Match lower would be very nice.....complete.

Thumbs up Bushmaster

Bushmaster

Please add Bushmaster after Rock River lower

I ordered three Stag lowers. Seems almost al the lowers are made by 2-3 companies.
    Stags cost $109 and $10 to ship all three.
    Might try some Anvils next but they have about a 4-6 week delay due to backorders.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Another option is to build your own lowers using 80% billet lowers,
    That mean you have to finish the machining?
    Now what ?

That is exactly what it means. A good jig, vise or mill/drill press vise and a small handful of drill bits and a couple of taps, drill press or drill motor and you are ready to go.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I always wanted to learn machine work, but never did.
    Now what ?

Have you ever used a drill motor? Have you ever tapped a thread in metal? Have you ever drilled a hole in metal?

If you have and answered yes to the above, you are good to go. It is not rocket science.

where do you get these 80% lowers at? i just ordered 5 anvil arms lowers stripped with samwe, and whats the $ for he 80% ones?

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Default AR 15 cutaway

Go to the Bushmaster website and click on the world of Bushmaster and go to the anatomy of the bushmaster. The site lets you do cut-aways of the weapon and see the inner workings. Just a thought for a learning tool.
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )

Here is just one of the sources. http://www.tanneryshop.com/80-ar15.htm

For how to information, here is a good read. http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html

The last web-site has lots of good help and suggestions. They have a forum also with more information.

"It's not always about price, sometimes it's about freedom"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Here is just one of the sources. http://www.tanneryshop.com/80-ar15.htm

For how to information, here is a good read. http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html

The last web-site has lots of good help and suggestions. They have a forum also with more information.

"It's not always about price, sometimes it's about freedom"
    thanks that is a excellent sight, will be building some toys. i assume that 80% lowers you dont have to fill out any forms to place an order right?

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    thanks that is a excellent sight, will be building some toys. i assume that 80% lowers you dont have to fill out any forms to place an order right?

Ray

That is correct, no paper work. These are keepers. I have no intent to sell.

I have been meaning to convert my mill to CNC. (I have everything I need to do it) and just run the program to make my own lowers. But most of the things I do with a mill are one offs and CNC becomes a pain when manual is so much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast