Thread: HOmer to Tutka BAy?

Default HOmer to Tutka BAy?

Hello again.

I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to get to Tutka bay without owning a boat? I see it on 'google earth' but cant really tell the distance.

Is there a small craft rental in Homer and is it safe to cross into Tutka?
    Is is accessible by Kayak or is that a death wish?

I really cant find anything on boat rentals from Homer on google. It just points me to another forum, where someone asked the same question 4 years ago.

He didnt get a reply though.

If the waters are rough like I imagine them, I can imagine some of you laughing at me.. "What a rookie...kayak! HA!"

Default water taxi

There are quite a few water taxis in Homer, & they can take you & kayaks if you rent them to Tutka & will pick you up at the prearranged date / time

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    There are quite a few water taxis in Homer, & they can take you & kayaks if you rent them to Tutka & will pick you up at the prearranged date / time
    Nice! Thanks.

Many of you are not interested in the Pinks, but if I could catch some from a Kayak, I would have a BLAST!! Just gotta hope they are there when I am in early july.

If anybody has done this, please send me a PM and let me know of any specifics!

Thanks

Default Reasonable questions

All your questions were reasonable.

I have a cabin in Little Tutka Bay and travel in an 18 foot v-hull skiff back and forth from the Spit all summer.

I'm not aware of any boat rental services in Homer but you could call the Homer Chamber of Commerce and they should know. 235-7740.

I've had friends kyak over to my place and they lived to tell the tale. We just made sure the weather report was right before doing it.

It's about 8-9 miles from the Spit to the mouth of Tutka. It's another 3-4 to the lagoon in Tutka.

The hatchery closed a few years back so no pinks are being produced in this terminal fishery, but last year I brought friends in there to fish and there were still plenty of pinks to be had. Not sure about this year though...

No more hatchery? Thats too bad... I was really looking forward to that.
    What Ill do is ask around when I get there. If there are still some pinks around, maybe it'll be worth the trip.

thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    All your questions were reasonable.

I have a cabin in Little Tutka Bay and travel in an 18 foot v-hull skiff back and forth from the Spit all summer.

I'm not aware of any boat rental services in Homer but you could call the Homer Chamber of Commerce and they should know. 235-7740.

I've had friends kyak over to my place and they lived to tell the tale. We just made sure the weather report was right before doing it.

It's about 8-9 miles from the Spit to the mouth of Tutka. It's another 3-4 to the lagoon in Tutka.

The hatchery closed a few years back so no pinks are being produced in this terminal fishery, but last year I brought friends in there to fish and there were still plenty of pinks to be had. Not sure about this year though...

Default Jakolof Bay

There's a decent run of pinks into Jakolof, about the same total distance to Tutka Bay Lagoon. You can still get pulled around by pinks if you want to...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    There's a decent run of pinks into Jakolof, about the same total distance to Tutka Bay Lagoon. You can still get pulled around by pinks if you want to...
    NICE!! Early July as well?

Thanks! The dream continues!!

Default water Taxi

The True North Kayak company will take you over there as well as many other water taxis.