Thread: Jim Creek Conditions

Default Jim Creek Conditions

3-23-08
    Not possible to cross JC in the normal area because of ice ledges. People are crossing 300 yards down closer to the mouth. I watched trucks and sporties get stuck there but utility atvs had no problems. changing daily out there

Thanks for the update!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Hey DWS!

See anyone getting across Jim Creek yet?
    Thinking if the ledges will be climbable by "mortal" machines by the weekend!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I'm crossing it this weekend, one way or another.

Why bother with the ledges when its atv crossable 300 yards downstream?

Default Just came back from there

Went riding to the glacier today with a friend, my first time out there. Going toward the glacier is no problem, coming back there is a ice shelf, but we made it ok.

Anybody have an update on conditions at Knik? How is the crossing at Jim Creek? Looks like the fire is under control...currently listed as 75% under control. Looking at riding there on Saturday. Any updates would be welcome.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Anybody have an update on conditions at Knik? How is the crossing at Jim Creek? Looks like the fire is under control...currently listed as 75% under control. Looking at riding there on Saturday. Any updates would be welcome.
    It's no big deal. If you're going on a Saturday plenty of people to watch cross first Last nite when I crossed you had to go in the creek and then take a dogleg route to avoid a deep hole, no biggie.

Crossed today without issue for my Rhino. Showed the way to a sport quad on the way up, but found him drowned out on the way back down. Guess there was a deep spot in there if you miss the line. Pretty cold to have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    Crossed today without issue for my Rhino. Showed the way to a sport quad on the way up, but found him drowned out on the way back down. Guess there was a deep spot in there if you miss the line. Pretty cold to have that problem.
    Did you guys pull that blue sport quad out and then a white one? We were the guys sitting off to the left watching if it was. The blue one was being pulled out when we pulled up then the white one tried to make it across but found a hole and got stuck.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

My buddy pulled the blue one back to the parking lot. Didn't see the white one get stuck. Sport quads seem to have a bit of an issue with the water crossing. Did stop and help some folks with a chain off on a Honda. Was that your party?

My buddy pulled the blue one back to the parking lot. Didn't see the white one get stuck. Sport quads seem to have a bit of an issue with the water crossing. Did stop and help some folks with a chain off on a Honda. Was that your party?
    Watching sporties drown in JC is my favorite pastime. It can swallow 50+ on a summer weekend.

Nah that wasn't us. We were actually sitting up on the right waiting for someone when y'all rolled by pulling the blue one. Then the guy with the red Thunderbird, I think it was, rolled by. Y'all had two rhinos right?

We were the two Rhino's and a six wheeler.

yeah i remember seeing y'all cause we commented on seeing the six wheeler