Thread: 20-24 Ft. Boat Motor

Default 20-24 Ft. Boat Motor

I'm planning on purchasing a 20 to 24 foot boat for this upcoming summer, I'm trying to figure out what size motor I might be needing. I'm looking into an aluminum Weldcraft, Hewescraft or similar and I'm wondering what size motor would work the best for Valdez, or Homer? Would a 115 horse motor work for an ocean boat that size? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It would for just you, but I would think that you would want something more like a 175 plus as a minimum when you get a boat load of people in it, not to mention fish, and the three-thousand beers (not for the captain) that are required for a recreational fishing trip among friends.

Default mileage

Also remember that a boat that has a little extra power gets better fuel economy than one that is underpowered. This theory probably has its upper limit though. And the last thing you want is to be disspointed in the handling of your new boat. Its all about the money though I guess. I would lean towards the 150 to 200 plus range depending on your budget.

Brother in law has a 19' NR Seahawk ext transom with a 115 Yamaha and it is powered just right. I would imagine a 20' NR Seahawk would be fine with a 115 just be sure to put some kind of foil on the outboard (theirs doesnt have one). Their boat gets phenomenal fuel economy!!!

Sobie2

I have a 22' Ocean Pro and wouldn't even consider a motor smaller than 150.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

i have a 22' searunner it has a 115 yamaha soft top, it does just fine not the fastest cruises about 23mph at 3500 rpm 34mph at wot. gas useage is ok . last year i spent $100 dollars to top tank off before i left anchorage. usual trip i go to out of whittier , main bay, knight island, montague, sometimes to hinchinbrook(for shark). don't anchor just drift untill lunch time or staying out over night. i think i ussually have close to half a tank left after all is said and done. usualy come back alot heavier then when i left but as long as you aren't running wot all the time your gas is fine(4-5 mph). if the seas start to kick up you cant go any faster unless you want to kill your kidneys but in my opinion i think that a 115 has the power and does not use as much gas as a bigger engine. just my thoughts. jeff

Default Twins

If you go with smaller motors I would put twin motors on it. That way if a motor goes down you can still get back with out to much trouble. Personally I would look for a lightly used boat, and let some one else pay for the new price. I looked at a river boat for 24,000 and ended up with one for 8,000 once I re-power it. Plus it came with a bunch of extras.

Default 24' Tolman

I went with a 115 Suzi for my 24'Tolman. It is a light weight boat, around 2000 lbs +. I haven't had it on the scales yet for a accurate weight. May be around 2500 when fueled and lightly loaded. Last summer my end of season usage came out as follows. I only got the boat on the water late in the season (5 trips) and the motor was new so this includes break in time. The figures came from my fuel usage computations from my Lowrance unit. Avg miles per gal over the season 4.45 MPG, Max speed 32.5 MPH, Avg Speed 17 MPH.

Several owners have powered their Tolmans with the 140 Suzi. They get a higher top end, around 40 MPH I believe. I went with the smaller motor due to price and the fact that I felt it would do what I need. So far so good.

You will find out if you look at the web for way too long that the performance bullitens put out by motor manufacturers and boat review magazines and compare that for the same boat with different motors of HP and brands that the characteristics of the hull matter the most... this is especially true for speed boats.

For the post here this is important because your boat will require "x" amount of HP to get it to get up on step and for its top speed. When you look at the plotted curves they vary by very minor amounts for different configurations. Singles, twins, hi, and low HP.

What is important for boating is the ability to get up on step in a reasonable amount of time. I have personally experienced riding in what was thought to be an underpowered boat with before and after rides after having bolted on a stingray or doel fin "hydrofoils" which made night and day differences... I have also experienced night and day differences for boats which changed with the swapping out of a single prop sterndrive to a duoprop without any change in HP.

In essence if you are trying to save fuel by buying a smaller motor you won't gain much if any in your MPG. If you are trying to save money to afford this boat by going with a smaller motor... understandable but not recommended. I am a big fan of the Yamaha 115 though. On the Wooldridge website they have a performance bulliten for a 23' Supersport Pilot house with Honda 225 that gets 5MPG at 28 MPH. I've got a buddy with a Hewescraft Searunner HT and a Yamaha 150 that gets 3.5 MPG at his best cruise.

Maybe this helps.

Default What Motor

I went from a 115 Merc to a 150 Honda on my boat. It is 20 foot plus about another 4 foot for the lift and motor. I got just as good gph (3.5 to 4 mpg) with the 150 as I did with the 115 without running it as hard.

Default Depends how you'll use it

It also depends on the brand of motor, and what the manufacturer wants to see to get best performance and durability with their motor.
    Yamaha has said they love to see their motors running at 4000 rpm-- this gives best performance vs. wear & fuel economy. Find the speed this rpm will drive your boat, and make your own decision as to whether that is fast enough for you. Honda, Suzuki, Merc, etc. will have thier own recommendations, accordingly.

The younger members on this forum will always recommend more speed ( HP ), us "older" guys aren't always in such a hurry anymore...

I am no boat motor mechanic, but in my technical trades I have learned over the yrs that, regardless of my personal opinion of my own "expertize" on any given subject, the manufacturer's engineers know alot more about thier product than general public self-appointed "experts" think they know.
    Yes- manufacturers, by tradition, generally have cotton stuffed in their ears, at times, when listening to field info from the public concerning their products behavior. But- they have to stand behind the product, so practical sense generally prevails.

I went round-and-round last year deciding whether the Yamaha 4-stroke 115HP that was put on by the dealer was adequate for my new 22ft Searunner Softtop. Lots of advise on this forum recommends the 150HP. I leaned heavily toward the 150HP due to recommendations here. Then I met owner after owner of this same boat with 115's and 150's. Both were happy. The 115 owners really didn't have any negatives, except for a bit more speed at times. I stuck with the 115Hp.

But-- if I was to order a boat and build the package from scratch, I would probably go with the 150HP. All in all, tho-- no regrets here.

Default better ride

which ever motor you choose i would make a suggestion... pick up a hydrofoil stabilizer, i put one on my boat last year and believe it or not i made it ride so much better it was like a different boat. my boat is a 22' searunner soft top with the 115 yamaha and i am happy with its performance. jeff