Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knik glacier

Default Knik glacier

Made it back to the glacier with EricL yesterday and thought I would post a few pics. There are more in the photography forum if you want to check them out. It was an incredible ride in with no mud and mostly frozen waterholes. Jims creek was easy to cross as well, but on the way out it was a different story. We ended up spending about 8 hours exploring the entire glacier face. It was well worth the ride in!

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Awesome pics! That terrain changes just about every day. I was there two weeks ago and almost swamped my Grizzly. I figure break-up is a risky time of year to be out there. Glad you had a good ride! So which one is yours - the Grizz or the kitty? And where did you find that ice tunnel?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I wish I could say the grizzly was mine, but Eric probably wouldnt like that. I got steal on the Arctic cat before I came up here so I couldnt pass it up. Hard to see in the pic, but its the two seater TRV 500 so my daughter can ride with me while my wife and son ride their own machines. We actually found two small ice caves and a third little cubby hole with a big skylight! I was amazed at the cool formations back there.

Great pics ~ thanks for sharing them

AJ

I could tell it was a two seater. Nice quad, even better pictures. How do you like that Arctic Cat?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    I could tell it was a two seater. Nice quad, even better pictures. How do you like that Arctic Cat?
    I love it for taking my daughter out while my son and wife ride theirs. She enjoys it too because she doesnt have to drive! I was hoping she would get more into it, but at least she likes to get out with me and I guess it saves me some money in the long run. I just wish they made a lift kit for it. They make them for almost all models of Arctic Cats except mine. I need to get some better tires at least though, but it actually does pretty good stock!

Those are some great pics! I am just getting into photography as a hobby since I PCS'd to Elmo this last fall. Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    Those are some great pics! I am just getting into photography as a hobby since I PCS'd to Elmo this last fall. Keep them coming.
    Hey ADUKHNT, is your avatar picture from Eska Falls up by the mine?
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    Cool, we should get together sometime and go exploring. Shoot me a pm sometime if you want to go out. I think i am going to take the argo out to jims creek this weekend and play around a little with the family.

Can you make it back to the glacier in June? I have friends coming up and would love to take them back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Torg84 View Post
    Can you make it back to the glacier in June? I have friends coming up and would love to take them back there.
    You should be able to get to within a mile or two of the glacier no problem. The problem is going to be crossing the last river, which is fed from a combination of snowmelt from the mountains to the north (Metal Creek), along with melt from the glacier itself. Since June is approaching peak temperatures, thus the melt-off is also close to it's peak (July and August are also real problem months).

The river there is a series of fast moving braids through gravel, and this river is always cutting new channels through the gravel. So, even if you find a safe way across one week, chances are that it will be very different the next.

If you really want to make it, your best chances involve having several (preferably skilled) ATVers and machines (to help with any rescue), and at least one person who is good at eyeballing the fast moving water to read the bottom depth.

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    and at least one person who is good at eyeballing the fast moving water to read the bottom depth.
    There is no way to eyeball brownwater for depth The river bottom there is rocks so if you pick up a good size rock and throw it in and listen for it to hit the bottom rocks it's a good way to judge depth. If you're standing on the bank and you hear boulders clanking as they are pushed downstream it's too late to cross Metal. Even though the creek changes somewhat the line I take across in high water is always in the same place every year, about 100 yards down from the canyon entrance. From there the line is straight to the last possible place to climb the cut bank and get up on the moraine. People screw up by going to far down and trying. You have to cross multiple channels, never go in and aim straight across, always at a 45 degree angle downstream so if you float in the current you might end up on the other side.
    Like you said it all depends on how hot June is.

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I better just stick with Eklutna with them as they are not very experienced. I would like to get out to the Knik in the next couple of weeks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Torg84 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I better just stick with Eklutna with them as they are not very experienced. I would like to get out to the Knik in the next couple of weeks though.
    Go to Knik with them, it's easy. You can still go all the way to Metal Creek and that's close to 25 miles one way. Make a few trips out there before June to get to know the trails. It's a thousand times better than some dink ride in Eklutna Go learn Knik.

Guys I'm pretty new to 4-wheelers (spent most of my time in motocross). I bought some Kawasaki 90's for my two young kids. My question is; is there anyplace out at Jims Creek for these little things to go. Or is it all the deep mud holes I have found elsewhere in AK.

Thanks for the replys

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    Guys I'm pretty new to 4-wheelers (spent most of my time in motocross). I bought some Kawasaki 90's for my two young kids. My question is; is there anyplace out at Jims Creek for these little things to go. Or is it all the deep mud holes I have found elsewhere in AK.

Thanks for the replys
    There is something out there for everyone! Don't hesitate. They will never get tired of riding out there. It is best to ride during weekdays...less nuts...Have fun!
    EricL

Thanks for the replys
    Go for it. You'll have to stay this side of Jim Creek unless you can have someone pull the 90s across. There are families with kids on little machines there every weekend riding this side of JC. The bad stories you hear about JC happen mostly at night on weekends and troopers usually are patroling in the daytime weekends there The only thing I would caution you about is driving the trail in there from the (Pavillion) racetrack entrance. Sometimes the older kids are speeding around those blind curves, so lead your kids in and be aware till you get in the flats. Lots of dry sand and some nice sand hills to play on. They'll love it there.

Thanks for the replys
    You may want to start them out on the gravel bar right next to the Knik River bridge. There's plenty of open space, and a few puddles if they seek them out.

Another really good place for them (in a month or so) would be Eklutna. It's a 13 mile well maintained trail on state land, which is open to ATVs Sunday through Wednesday.

Here's the scoop on the Pavilion area of Jim Creek (the way most people access it, off Sullivan Road). You start off with about 1.5 miles of jeep trail through the woods. The trail is wide, but often contains deep puddles (especially if it's rained recently). The puddles in this area tend to be more water than mud. There are plenty of smaller side trails leading off from this main artery. The jeep trail then empties onto a very wide (half mile?) gravel bar, which offers plenty of open area again for the kids to ride on. As others have said, kid's ATVs won't be able to cross the creek on their own, but there's a fair amount to do before you get to it.

Thanks guys, I've been to Eklutna. Looking forward to trying Jim Creek.

What are the chances of getting all the way to the glacier this weekend? I do have an 11 yr old son that rides a 360 Kawasaki Prarie if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast