Thread: Leupold 1.5-5 for Black Bear

Default Leupold 1.5-5 for Black Bear

I'm looking to get a new scope for my hunting rifle (.300 win kimber Montana). My current scope is a 4.5-14 VXIII. I'm trying to get into some Black Bear hunting and am thinking a lower scope is the way to go. I'm thinking of a 1.5-5 VXIII. I'd keep the 4.5-14 and get either Talley or Warne QD rings. Assuming that the QD rings prove reliable after testing, I'm thinking this would greatly increase the versatility of my rifle. Not to mention, when I get to Alaska for black bear, I could bring the second scope as a backup.

I have two questions.

First, is the 1.5-5 VXIII ideal for my purposes? I'm looking for a low power scope that would perform well in the event of a close in shot. With the low power scope, am I sacrificing anything with the small objective of this scope (there is no bell on the objective side)

Second, is the QD ring a good idea for a rifle I'm bringing to Alaska?

If I were in your position, I think I'd go for a VXIII 2.5-8. I don't have anything bad to say about a 1.5-5, but I have a 2.5-8 on my rifle, and it's fantastic for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    If I were in your position, I think I'd go for a VXIII 2.5-8. I don't have anything bad to say about a 1.5-5, but I have a 2.5-8 on my rifle, and it's fantastic for everything I do.

I'm with the labman on this one, I have a 2x7 in VXII. It works great. I wouldn't really want anything less than a 2x7 up here.

Jon

Default Kinda splitting hairs

If you are looking at getting another scope to change out and you are going to bring both along I think your first option of a 1.5X5 power scope would be a good option. Your current scope still goes down to 4.5X zoom. Many hunters still have a solid 4X power scope and due just fine. So I think you'd be ok even if you used just that.

But if you insist on buying a new scope then I'd opt for the lower power cause then you'd have your bases better covered I believe. If you are in the brush though, I think that putting open sights in addition to your QD rings might be a better option than going to two scope route if you were worried about hunting in a up close and brushy hunt. The 2X8.5 zoom option is a great all round scope however from what i gather you are planning on having both scopes availible to you so might as well go with something of greater difference of what you already have.

Alaska_Lanche, the open sights were actually my first choice and probably still my preference for backup, but the gunsmith I asked about installing them advised against it. He claims that because the Montana has a very slim profile barrel in a magnum caliber there is a good chance that the objective sight would not remain attached after a few hundred shots (apparently due to barrel vibration). Also, he said that there is a good chance that attaching weight to a barrel this thin would affect groups. The gun's more accurate than my bull barrel 700 and I'd hate to chance that even though I know there's no necessity for this kind of accuracy in a hunting rifle.

If anyone has put open sights on their Montana's I'd love to hear how it turned out though. If the above theories turn out untrue, I'd still prefer open sights as a backup.

1.75 X 6 has really made a big in-road over the 1.5 X 5 sells among Alaskan guides. The thing about any scope that you might need for a fast close shot is it's ability to have the animal and cross hairs in focus. Test the scope by holding the scope and looking at your feet. If the scope is not sharp focus (at lowest setting), that is not the one you want. The only plus I have ever found to the use of a Leupold scope is in poor light conditions the reticle will go to either gold or silver. Because of this one feature, I take it over open sights for close work in the brush.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up Leupold 1.5x5

Have a Leupold 1.5x5 on my 375 Alaskan with Warne QR rings makes a nice setup.

I have had this scope for over 15 years on different rifles......and it has never failed me!

I put a 1.75-6x32 VX-III on my Remington 700 Custom Mountain Rifle in .338 Win Mag because of its reputation for recoil tolerance and a slightly bigger objective lens for possible low light conditions. I have a 1.5-5x25 Vari-X III on my .35 Whelen and it seems to be offer slightly less brightness but nothing that would keep you from getting your bear. I would also consider a fixed 2.5 or 3 power like the Leupold compact or Weaver K3, if you don't mind the ribbing for a cheap scope that works. Bears aren't small and I killed mine at 215 yards with a K3 on a .416 Taylor.