Thread: Question for a gunsmith.

Default Question for a gunsmith.

I've been looking at a Remington 870 marine magnum. It will shoot 2 3/4 and 3" shell. Could it bored out to accept a 3 1/2" and would it make that much of a difference?

I prefer the 870 over the Nova H20 so this is my delimma.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Fireman View Post
    I've been looking at a Remington 870 marine magnum. It will shoot 2 3/4 and 3" shell. Could it bored out to accept a 3 1/2" and would it make that much of a difference?

I prefer the 870 over the Nova H20 so this is my delimma.
    I'm not a gunsmith, but it would seem that you would be stuck with a 3" gun. My guess would be that you would run out of chamber for 3.5".
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Wink

Ejection would be the big issue. Not much gained by the extra .5". Or so says my wife!

Matt

It could be done, but why?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    It could be done, but why?
    Well that was part of my question. I like the idea of having more energy exiting my barrel but not if it involves screwing up the integrity or reliability of the firearm.

I didn't think of the ejection clearance, that's a good point.

I had a earlier post of shooting 410 shot out of my guide gun that got me thinking of the advantages of a shot gun over my 45/70.
    My thoughts were to have this as a boat gun that could do everything from small game, water fowl , bear protection and if needed flares. I was thinking the 3.5 would give more horse power for the bears and frankly don't understand why Remington doesn't chamber it for the 3.5" but the 3" are probably just fine.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Default Check the rule book

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Fireman View Post
    My thoughts were to have this as a boat gun that could do everything from small game, water fowl , bear protection and if needed flares. I

MAN RULE #14 A man/husband shall purchase seperate guns for any hobbies/habits/adventures. There shall be no limit there in set forth.
    (a.) Multiple guns of same type and caliber is accepted, because you just never know

Questions reguarding rule #14 should be refered to rule #1 "there is no such thing as to many guns"

This should be in your wedding vows somewhere, check the fine print.

Default Thats funny!

Quote Originally Posted by GITDEMBARS View Post
    MAN RULE #14 A man/husband shall purchase seperate guns for any hobbies/habits/adventures. There shall be no limit there in set forth.
    (a.) Multiple guns of same type and caliber is accepted, because you just never know

Questions reguarding rule #14 should be refered to rule #1 "there is no such thing as to many guns"

This should be in your wedding vows somewhere, check the fine print.
    The truth is I don't even own a boat . But I might in a few years and I was thinking it would be irresponsible of me to not be properly prepared. The bride thinks she burned the only copy of MAN LAW when we got married. I hid another copy of it in the oven, she'll never find it in there.

If it could be done I would bet it would cost you more than selling your old shotgun and buying a new one with the 3.5 inch chamber.
    Tennessee