Thread: moose hunt

Question moose hunt

I am in the lower 48 and am looking in to a unguided mooses hunt most likely need a drop hunt any advice would be great.
    thanks

Welcome aboard, kingfisher. The first thing you need to know is that this is a huge state with many, many options when it comes to moose hunting. You're likely to get better information if you already have some basics decided - what year you'll be hunting, what general part of the state, etc. If this is all completely new to you, there are a few things you can do. First, spend the next week or so reading through all the old posts related to moose hunting. You'll read some good stories that will give you a better idea of what to expect, and that will hopefully help you decide what kind of hunt you'd like to do. Secondly, you may consider talking with a hunt planner. There are a couple around that get consisently good reviews, Michael Strahan (a frequent contributor here) and Larry Bartlett.

Default Moose hunt Info

When are you planning on coming up to hunt? I think for 2008 both are booked up. As of right now, going through Mike Strahan b/c Larry is all booked for 2008. Mike Strahan seems to be very very very busy on dealing with the hunters he has now. I will have more details on my experience and overall recommendations this September. So if you are planning a hunt in 09' or after that, my recommendations/experience will maybe be beneficial. Well, best wishes on starting your moose hunt- its very exciting.

James

thanks for the input i was hoping to go in 08 but maybe i should be looking at 09 thanks
    paul

You should also spend a good day at the Alaska Fish and Game website going through regulations. This will give you an idea of where you can hunt in the first place - i.e. open seasons vs. draw only, etc. Pretty decent info over there on general hunting up here.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/

Default Moose Hunting Options

Hey Kingfisher,

Welcome to the Forum! A lot of good info, and a lot of good people, can be found here.

While a 2008 drop hunt might be doable, the clock is really ticking, and many of the air services will be booked by now for all flights in the 2-3 days before moose season starts for non-residents. To do a 2008 drop hunt, you would need to select an area, find air services who serve that area, and try to book a slot, all in the next several weeks. Not an impossible task, but a significant task for sure.

If you can hold off until 2009, you'll have ample time to research the best areas, check with people on this Forum for reputable air services who fly in that area, and work out all of the logistical details in terms of getting to/from Alaska, to/from the air taxi service, to/from your drop location, meat care in the fielde and afterwards, gear needs, etc.

If you opt to go in 2008, get on it, big fella! Gotta start your research and see if you can still get flights into your area of choice.

Good luck!

does the state post number of mooses taken per area or GMU sucsess rate on there web site. i am going to be up in gods country in 2 weeks was going to pick up regs. thanks for the help

is there much moose hunting near lake illamna ?( spelling and typing are poor) across cook inlet i thik GMU 17B

Default Non-Res Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher43 View Post
    is there much moose hunting near lake illamna ?( spelling and typing are poor) across cook inlet i thik GMU 17B
    hey kf - a couple of years ago, many of the river drainages in 17B added more restrictions to non-res hunting in that sub-unit - i think the current regs state that non-residents can't hunt moose within 2 miles of the river on either bank. trust me when i tell you, it's no fun to pack a moose 2 miles one way!

you can still hunt the areas that are more than 2 miles from the river drainages, best way to do that is an air taxi to a mountain dropoff point. you might check on holliday air out of iliamna, they seem to have happy hunters most years.

Default 17b regs

as for non-res hunting moose in 17b the restirtions are on the upper nush and only along the river and tributaries,of course it stops just above my camp,anyway one can get a free permit to hunt within the 2 miles if he goes in person to the fish and game office in dillingham between mid july and the end of aug.check the reg book and it will show you the area and dates.