Thread: The Knik glacier

Default The Knik glacier

Its been a bit since I had the time to post and things are looking like they are not going to let up any time soon. Yesterday was a good break from everything though when EricL gave me a call and we headed out the Jims creek for an attempt at making it back to the glacier. The ride in was great and we ended up spending about 8 hours exploring the whole face of the glacier. The ride out on the other hand was a bit tougher. Both of us ended up wet as we attempted to cross Jims creek after a good share of the ice weekened or disapeared all together! Here are some of the pics I ended up with throughout the day.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default A few more

Default and finally

Cory, I sure would like to try to get out there one more time. Like you said, if that little bit of snow wasn't on the ice it would really be blue then. Jim Creek may be a challenge for the next week or so. The ice at the glacier should be thick enough for several more weeks, I would think.
    EricL

Default Oh Man!

Holy Smokes Guys!!!

Great shots and glad to have ya back Cory. These are really nice, I'm envious!

Will have to make that trip sometime. Anyway to make it out there without getting wet?

Again, really nice work!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Cory, I sure would like to try to get out there one more time. Like you said, if that little bit of snow wasn't on the ice it would really be blue then. Jim Creek may be a challenge for the next week or so. The ice at the glacier should be thick enough for several more weeks, I would think.
    I dont know if I am going to get a chance to head back again any time soon. We will have to play it by ear. I would love to if I get the chance though! That was a fun trip!

Quote Originally Posted by tull777 View Post
    Holy Smokes Guys!!!

Great shots and glad to have ya back Cory. These are really nice, I'm envious!

Will have to make that trip sometime. Anyway to make it out there without getting wet?

Again, really nice work!
    Hey man! Its good to be back. Hopefully things will start slowing down and bit and I can get out more. It was well worth the trip, but I would go soon while the conditions let you really explore the face. The last time I was out there I was really limited on how close I could safely get. I am wondering how deep the little lake is in front of the glacier though when it melts. Might be worth hauling a canoe back there and paddling around a bit!

Just gorgeous! What else can I say about your photo? Why don't you tell us about the camera and lenses used (if you don't mind telling us your secrets)?

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Just gorgeous! What else can I say about your photo? Why don't you tell us about the camera and lenses used (if you don't mind telling us your secrets)?
    Thank you Ray,
    Glad you enjoyed them. Shots 1,2,3,and 5 were with the 70-200mm F2.8, 4,6,8,10, and 11 were with the 16-35mm F2.8 and the remainder were with the 15mm F2.8 Fisheye. The bodies were the Canon 1D MkII and the 5D. I took somewhere between 200-300 images that day over the course of about 8 hours. The lighting changed constantly so I had to continuously check the meter, but the majority of the day was spent in manual exposure mode. The white snow and bright backgrounds really fool the meter quite often so I have found it easier when working in these situation to either use a hand held meter or meter with the camera and set it manually with the readings and adjustments I come up with. A few of the images that day are a result of blending 2 exposures (the equivilent of using a graduated ND filter). I sometimes use a graduated ND filter, but I am finding it more accurate to take 2 or more exposures and blending them in the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Thank you Ray,
    Glad you enjoyed them. Shots 1,2,3,and 5 were with the 70-200mm F2.8, 4,6,8,10, and 11 were with the 16-35mm F2.8 and the remainder were with the 15mm F2.8 Fisheye. The bodies were the Canon 1D MkII and the 5D. I took somewhere between 200-300 images that day over the course of about 8 hours. The lighting changed constantly so I had to continuously check the meter, but the majority of the day was spent in manual exposure mode. The white snow and bright backgrounds really fool the meter quite often so I have found it easier when working in these situation to either use a hand held meter or meter with the camera and set it manually with the readings and adjustments I come up with. A few of the images that day are a result of blending 2 exposures (the equivilent of using a graduated ND filter). I sometimes use a graduated ND filter, but I am finding it more accurate to take 2 or more exposures and blending them in the computer.
    Thanks.

Blending two exposures? Have you tried HDR before (blending 3 exposures)? No idea how to do such things, but the blend works very well on your photos.

I have played around with HDR a little bit, but to me it generally turns out looking fake and just not how the scene looked to me. Especially if you use the merge tool in photoshop or one of the other automatic blending HDR programs. My goal is to try and get the image to look exactly like the scene looked to my eye and look realistic. There are alot of challenges that go along with that, but it is generally possible to get pretty close by doing it manually in photoshop. Although I think Eric can attest, even our best effort that day didnt quite do it justice!

Very nice pictures.

Thi

I have played around with HDR a little bit, but to me it generally turns out looking fake and just not how the scene looked to me. Especially if you use the merge tool in photoshop or one of the other automatic blending HDR programs. My goal is to try and get the image to look exactly like the scene looked to my eye and look realistic. There are alot of challenges that go along with that, but it is generally possible to get pretty close by doing it manually in photoshop. Although I think Eric can attest, even our best effort that day didnt quite do it justice!
    I have heard that Fred Miranda's action is almost automated for blending two photos, but it only works with PhotoShop (not Elements), on both Mac and PC.
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/DRI/

All it does is to automatically blend two images, leaving the photo enhancing details to the user. I have also read that it's a good idea to open the darker image in 16-bit mode and extract as much shadow details as possible, before using DRI. Supposedly DRI doe snot allow you to work on just the shadow areas once the processing has taken place.

I have heard that Fred Miranda's action is almost automated for blending two photos, but it only works with PhotoShop (not Elements), on both Mac and PC.

All it does is to automatically blend two images, leaving the photo enhancing details to the user. I have also read that it's a good idea to open the darker image in 16-bit mode and extract as much shadow details as possible, before using DRI. Supposedly DRI doe snot allow you to work on just the shadow areas once the processing has taken place.

I just realized that it does work with Elements