Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food/Bear Bait

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Default Dog Food/Bear Bait

Anyone have any leads on cheap dog food for bear bait in anchorage?

Old Roy at Wal Mart is usually the cheapest. 13-16 dollars for 50 lbs. Start calling to donut shops Jerrys, Golden, and Dinos donuts to get the day olds. Burger King used to give away congealed grease but now people are probably running their Pruis's on it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Bear Bait Option?

If you have any Slaughter Houses in your area -- go ask them for the blood and guts. I used to get it for Shark Hunting - worked great-cost was Zero $$$ sure the bears will love it too Ps 5 gal plastic pails make great containers. check to see if its legal for bears

There is very little in the way of animal slaughtering here, and from what I hear, using animal parts or meat is a bad idea for baiting black bears. According to those I know who have tried to use viscera, it tends to attract brown bears which will in turn drive the black bears away. Stick with Ol' Roy and some other sweeteners added in.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Old Roy at Wal Mart is usually the cheapest. 13-16 dollars for 50 lbs. Start calling to donut shops Jerrys, Golden, and Dinos donuts to get the day olds. Burger King used to give away congealed grease but now people are probably running their Pruis's on it.

Second that
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Keep it simple!

I'll third the Ol' Roy method! I use Ol' Roy as the main filler with a couple gallons of mollasses from sportsmans warehouse to get it started.

We also used popcorn mixed with sugar and syrup and took that out with us each time we went. We popped it up in a turkey fryer throughout baiting season and then dumped it in a wheel barrow, then added the sugar and syrup. We transfered it in big garbage bags for an easy carry-out to the bait station!

You don't have to make a big deal out of it. If it's sweet and plentiful, they will come. I'm gonna try some jello this year too!

Daren

Default bear bait

How about some old fish from the freezer? Will that draw in brownies, too?

I do not believe you can use fish from the freezer. I would guess it would draw brownies though.

Default Old fish

Old fish would be wanton waste and get you a ticket, freezer burnt or not. It is illegal to use anything other than basically the filleted out carcass.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

3rd or 4th on the ol roys. Also I had a good friend who worked at carrs and used to get me pounds and pounds of fat trimmings for pennies on the dollar. If you do know anyone in the food service business ask them if you can raid thier grease can. I had a buddy who owned a mexican place and those bears would get into that grease and tromp it all over the woods and the bear numbers on the bait was unreal. I also picked up some syrup from costco to sweeten up things.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Why in the world anyone would want to sit there in the stand for hours and smell rotten fish and meat vs the Maple, Brown Sugar Cherry and Vanilla is beyond me.

To this day I can't eat a jelly filled donut. After putting them in my barrels day after day I almost vomit at the thought.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Old Roy at Wal Mart is usually the cheapest. 13-16 dollars for 50 lbs. ....
    That's what I use, and I soak it down with cheap, Walmart maple syrup.

....Start calling to donut shops Jerrys, Golden, and Dinos donuts to get the day olds.......
    I stopped using donuts. I was getting too many cops at my stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark;237348I
    stopped using donuts. I was getting too many cops at my stand.

Thanks for the laugh...
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Ol' Roy was all I used last year (first year baiting) in terms of dog food. I think the bears like that stuff since I went through a few hundred pounds of it. Works for me, as does the price of that brand.

Also, Wal-Mart used to sell damaged bags of dog food for cheap. My local Wal-Mart doesn't do that anymore, but others might and it would be worth looking into.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark;237348I
    stopped using donuts. I was getting too many cops at my stand.
    Thanks for the laugh...
    I'm wondering if some of my LEO friends here will enjoy that little barb..............

(My daughter works for the AST.....I get some good jokes from her.............)

Default found a little bait

i think i'm all baited up...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd say so!

Default Bait

Use ol roy cheap dog food and make your own syrup W/ 1 part Sugar 1 part brown sugar 2 part water that U buy bulk from sams for cheap & mix w/ drill & a paint mixer< I mix up about 2 5 gallon buckets and mix 1 5gallon syrup to every 50lb dog food works great Then of course some stank for bringing them in..

Default Along with dog food...

Does anybody do a honey burn and also spray Anise extract on trees and surrounding vegetation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast