Thread: PWS cell phone coverage

Default PWS cell phone coverage

Does anyone know if AT&T cellular has coverage in PWS? If not, do any of the cellular companies have coverage out there?

Thanks...

From what i've heard ACS has the best coverage on the sound.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

I was at Green Island last year and made 3 calls,only had 1 bar but it worked,my carrier is ACS. There are lots of other places out there where it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ACBMAN View Post
    I was at Green Island last year and made 3 calls,only had 1 bar but it worked,my carrier is ACS. There are lots of other places out there where it won't work.
    Man, you had green grass and high tides that day.....

acs good coverage outside eshamy bay and at naked island
    switched from at&t because had to use credit card to make call if at all.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

4 bars around smith islands, acs. better than from my house

Default Cell Phone

Acs has an agreement with Cooper Valley Telephone to use the tower on Naked Island. Cooper Valley has the best coverage and ACS comes in second. Cordova falls under Cooper Valley. Copper Valley is upgrading their system so I do not know what impact that will have. I have a Digital Antenna with an amp that my cell phone connects too and have phone coverage in most area's past the Sound Entrance.

Default ACS Cell Phone

Mine stops working about ShotGun Cove, might be that I hold the off button down since thats why I go out there.
    But a couple years ago I was over accross the Inlet Kustatan Point and couldn't get a signal, plugged it into a Cell Booster and got 4 bars.
    any one know of a booster that don't cost $200, I know they work said to add 50 miles to receptiion. Nice tool if I ever wanted to turn it back on.

I can honestly say that I have never thought of making a phone call on a cell phone while cruising around and fishing PWS. But, it is nice to know that at least it is an option (maybe) if I am sinking....not that it will help, but at least I can say goodbye and to hell with the bill as I'm not going to be around to pay it even it does require a credit card. It will make me happy knowing that my last act on earth was sticking it to the phone company. On second thought, maybe I should spend that time more wisely and get into my zodiac.

With Cell 1 I could all the way out to decision point from Whitter
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default they put in a new tower

near Pigot Bay last summer. I don't have any particulars, I am not intersted in my cell phone when I am out in the sound.
    Rob