Thread: .257 Weatherby OAL's

Question .257 Weatherby OAL's

I recently rechambered (gunsmith...not me) a rifle to .257 Weatherby, and I'm early into the handloading process for it. At this point my range time with the new project is just a couple of trips, but an early trend may be appearing...it seems that relatively shorter OAL's are better for this cartridge. Is that consistent with you guys? Does this round like more run-up space before contacting the lands?

My chamber is cut with a long throat (typical of the cartridge). The rifle was originally a .30-06, so the magazine can hold a long round. In fact, I can (but won't) seat the bullet almost completely out of the case before contacting the lands. The shallowest that I have seated the bullet is the caliber depth. The 120 NP's seated to this depth don't shoot nearly as well as when seated significantly deeper...at least that is what I have found so far...the same goes for the TSX's 100's. Same for you guys?

Normally I'd spend more time at the range than just two trips before asking, but with the cost of components really going up, I'm asking early this time.

Thanks folks.

Default Yup, that's the deal on the Wby...

They are made to jump the bullet up to the lands. I've found that the best is just to load them right up to the crimp band and shoot 'em. Doesn't seem to be that different in terms of accuracy...even up to 200yds.

Enjoy!

Thumbs up COL

The excellent Sierra Gameking BTHP 120gr

COL @ 3.225

Thanks for the feedback guys...I greatly appreciate it.

After posting my question, I found the following article about handloading the .257 Weatherby in Shooting Times by Lane Simpson. Maybe you guys have already seen it, but in case you haven't I've pasted it here. BTW he recommends seating the bullet to the same as factory ammunition, and he notes that seating for longer OAL is not better.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunit...06/index4.html

Does anyone have the OAL for the new factory round with a 100 gr TSX?