Thread: Bear Fence, New Product?

Default Bear Fence, New Product?

We are a small electronics company in Southern Utah with Alaska ties. We have a concept for a new product that we are seeking feedback on before we commit to a big outlay of $$$ to get it into manufacturing.

As many already know, an electric fence around a camp site, aircraft, food cache etc. is an effective deterent to bears and perhaps wolves.

What we are proposing and have prototyped is a small, lightweight electric fence kit that is designed specifically for outdoorsmen to backpack, carry in an aircraft or ATV then set up quickly and securely.

The kit will feature a small fence charger unit powered by 4 AA batteries, a car-fob style remote control so the unit can be energized/deenergized from inside or outside the containment area. A positive operation indication like the double beeps from a car alarm system and an alarm system that alerts the operator that the system has been tried, that is that an animal has caused a discharge. The target battery life is one week on a single set of batteries with a warning that they are failing. Also an optional solar recharging system will be offered.

The balance of the kit will have 500' of 1/2" wide white tape style fencing to allow three strands of fencing around a 40' x 40' enclosure with light weight fiberglass poles 48" tall and a roll of bright orange plastic flagging to alert humans and attract animals to the fence tape.

This will all be packaged in a lightweight nylon bag similar in form and lighter than a folding camp chair.

Our target retail price for the system is in the $299 price range.

Feedback/comments/requests/suggestions are solicited.

Thank you all for the help.

There is a similar one on the market, I have one. However, yours having a remote to turn on and off my be of interest. I'd have to compare the two side by side to tell how they compare. You seem to have a good concept for yours and it sounds like it'll work great. Good luck with it.

I also have a similar one to this. I had to change the 4 D cell batter powered charger unit out because it would not shock a sparrow after being hooked up to 400' of fencing. I bought a much larger charger unit and use it instead. Make sure the chager unit puts out the zap.

A lot of use up here may be by float hunters who use the system on gravel river banks. I understand there are some issues with this and grounding or something like that and different wiring or dual conductor fence material is needed?

Might be beneficial if your product has an easy solution for that problem.

Thumbs up Gravel bars...

I have been interested in buying an electric fence for years. We float NW Alaska rivers each Fall and the gravel is not good for most fences from what I read/hear. The poly fence kit that Electrobearguard (in Alaska) sells is too heavy at nearly 30 lbs. Their lightweight "hunter" kit will not work reliably on gravel bars. UDAP sells a kit that I am thinking of buying now for our upcoming September trip on the Wulik. However, it relies on the bear contacting both wires to work on gravel bars. That takes away from the peace of mind for me personally. If your fence would be lightweight, yet still effective on gravel bars, it would certianly fill a niche in the market. Additionally, an audible alarm that would sound when the fence was tripped would be far more valuable than a beep when it was turned on and off. Nice gimmick for the kids and their sports cars, but for bear protection, I want the audible alarm when brownie is approaching my tent at 3 in the morning. Margo Supplies (Canadian company) has a siren that hooks up to electric fences but it is heavy and requires large batteries. Seems it would be impractical to use in mobile camps along a river. During a float trip, you will be moving to a new gravel bar each night. The kit needs to be built around that. Lightweight, portable, and easy to set up and take down. People that are resourceful enough to have a cabin in the woods are also resourceful (and frugal) enough to put together their own semi-permanent electric fences. If you want to sell electric fences, I would target the backpacker, hunter, and float trip crowd. We are the ones with limited options due to the previously mentioned restraints on the current models. Otherwise, the established UDAP kit for $299 would probably overshadow your product as they are very well known and offer a 4 lb fence. I would love to see a picture of your kit and the specs. Email that to me if applicable. As for what I would want to see in an electric fence...Particularly a strong charge delivered and a small physical size of the kit and definitely lightweight. Folding carbon fiber rods (thin and wind resistant) with aluminum tipped ends (male ends)that fit into a 12" poly stake (with female end) with a receptacle that holds it so you don't break the stake putting it into the gravel, lightweight poly fence that will deliver a decent shock on gravel bars, reinforcing stakes with 550 cord on all four corners, proven usage in the 0-20 degrees range, a fence height low enough to step over so no gates were needed (when the fence is off of course), and a rigid (yet lightweight) hard case to provide protection from airport gorillas. That would be a kit I would spend $300+ on today. You asked.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.