Thread: Haul Road ?

Default Haul Road ?

Hope someone might know, I have heard that the HWY department intends to pave the Dalton all the way up by 2007? Any one know what they intend to do? If so how far along have they got? Thanks.

They have been chip paving it for the past few years now.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I went up late last year and I would roughly estimate about one third to maybe half of the total trip between Fairbanks and Happy Valley is paved.

Thumbs up Pavement

just to the bridge from where they are working now

Thanks for the info. Looking to hunt 2007 Lord willing.I have been hearing horror stories about the road vs.cars. Thanks again! Bill

Default Haul Road...

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7
    Thanks for the info. Looking to hunt 2007 Lord willing.I have been hearing horror stories about the road vs.cars. Thanks again! Bill
    Although the haul road is a bit 'rough' it isn't too bad. Consider the fact that you are driving 400 miles on a remote highway, of which only about 30% or more is paved.
    The semi's travel the road on a mission (as soon as they reach their destination they can head back). But, overall, they are fairly courteous - get the heck out of their way if you are 'sight-seeing' (AKA road-hunting).
    Expect to loose some glass (windshield, etc.). And be prepared for a tire - there are some good potholes up there.
    Personally, the tour buses are more of a hazard than the road or the truckers. Never know when one is going to stop and look at some bird or the like.

Default Pavement overrated?

Just be careful no matter the road surface. According to road conditions the gravel can be a much nicer ride than the pavement. I wouldn't advise the big sigh of relief and pounding of the pedal just because you finally hit a stretch of pavement, the frost heaves can launch you right off the road.

Default Be Smart

The hardest part of the drive is sitting in the truck all those miles. Once you hit some pavement its easy to get your speed up again. Thats when the pavement ends or a giant pothole grabs you out of nowhere. Bring an extra tire or two. Dont be fooled into comfort by a little stretch of nice road.

It isnt that bad. Ive driven it 6 times in 3 years, had one flat. Fuel up in coldfoot both ways (You and the truck,great food) and top off in deadhorse if you go that far. Give the truckers room, they have a job to do. Use a cb if you have one. They'll help ya out immensley. Take lots of pictures.