Thread: Crystalline Hills

Default Crystalline Hills

Planning a hunt there this year. What are the populations of bears and moose in the area? I figure there should be lots of griz there! Anybody have first-hand knowledge of the area?
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Default Research ABCs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    Planning a hunt there this year. What are the populations of bears and moose in the area? I figure there should be lots of griz there! Anybody have first-hand knowledge of the area?
    Grayling,

No offense, but this is a question for the ADFG Area Biologist responsible for that area. The Alaska Hunting Forums will net you some great info from folks who have hunted the area, but the biological data is purest straight from the source.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

No offense taken, Mr. Strahan. I have already spoke with the area biologist for that area. Just hoping to get more info from this website. Thanks
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Default An idea-

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    No offense taken, Mr. Strahan. I have already spoke with the area biologist for that area. Just hoping to get more info from this website. Thanks
    Sorry for the confusion. You were asking about game populations for moose and bear. I don't know anyone that would have better or more accurate population stats than the ADFG folks in Glennallen (is Bob Tobey still out there?) If you're looking for hunt reports and such, the last I heard the area was getting a lot of pressure from sheep hunters looking for walk-in hunts that were off the beaten path. Now it's a beaten path. I heard that from a good friend who had just returned from the area, and he indicated it was pretty picked over. But that was three or four years ago-- or more.

I have heard nothing about the quality of moose hunting in there. Historically the headwaters of the Chokosna where it loops up into Kuskulana Pass have hosted some spring calving activity and you might find a bear in there on a spring hunt, but that's a bit far for most folks on foot. Still, if I were in a prospecting mood I might see if I could find a Cub driver who can drop me on a gravel bar north of that area in the fall and possibly float out with an inflatable canoe, assuming of course that the river is floatable. I'd fly it first if it were me.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Crystalline Hills

The Sheep population was severely impacted about 10 years ago and is slowly recovering. It is not a primo sheep area-there are much better areas in north wrangells and around McCarthy.
    Moose populations are starting to recover. The Fithians who are guides who took over from Roland Hammock hunt the area with horses. They concentrate on moose more than sheep(they are moving to Western Alaska).
    Many people do walk into this area and with the trail systems that are available it is pretty well pounded.
    There is a very good black bear population in the area. Not as many Grizzlies but there are some.

Crystalline Hills sheep generally are cropped before they have significant horn development. This is something to remember. However, the area is still open.

Please shoot wolves and black bears if you go in there. The sheep and moose need all the help they can get.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Tobey is still at Glennallen.
    Becky Kellyhouse runs the show and Bob continues to do research.