Thread: Chest waders

Default Chest waders

I've got a pair of hip waders, but I was wondering what a good pair of chest waders would be to buy, that would function great for fishing and also riding an atv or hunting? I was also wondering what was the difference in the neoprene waders and regular waders and which would be best for my situation? Thanks for all the info.

Neos are great for real cold water and steelheading but for summer & fall use i'd go with breathable's like you can get from Cabela's or LL Bean(best warranty in the business, they leak you get a new pair no ?'s asked) or i think a saw some in Costco not long ago. Make sure to buy a good pair of wading boots to go along with them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Hi,

I dont know what your situation is but I used to wear neoprene waders and I really did not like it.

I could understand if you're always fishing in cold waters but after an hour, I was always sweating and never really comfy. It felt like extra weight. It may be the brand that I had though. I didnt pay much for them so maybe the more expensive ones are lighter and more comfortable. The ones I had felt heavy and I could never walk the whole beach without feeling like I walked it 5 times. Also, I would sweat in them and back then I wore a lot of cotton, so I would sweat, then get cold! But thats the cottons fault.

Anyways, I dont know if anything I just told you helps but I hope it does.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Neos are great for real cold water and steelheading but for summer & fall use i'd go with breathable's like you can get from Cabela's or LL Bean(best warranty in the business, they leak you get a new pair no ?'s asked) or i think a saw some in Costco not long ago. Make sure to buy a good pair of wading boots to go along with them.
    Hi Potbuilder,

No questions asked if there are leaks?? Wow! Was it the brand of waders or Cabela's that gave the warranty? If its the store itself, I should maybe wait and purchase mine when I get to anchorage.

Thanks

I was also wondering which waders were better, the one's where you have to purchase the boots seperately, or the wader's that have the boots attached already?

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hi Potbuilder,

No questions asked if there are leaks?? Wow! Was it the brand of waders or Cabela's that gave the warranty? If its the store itself, I should maybe wait and purchase mine when I get to anchorage.

Thanks
    LL BEAN waders the best warranty in the business. In fact they have the best warranty for anything they sell & if you have their credit card shipping is free.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    I was also wondering which waders were better, the one's where you have to purchase the boots seperately, or the wader's that have the boots attached already?
    I'd guess thats a personal preferance type of thing, i have neos, 5mm from LL Bean with the insulated boots attached but thats for fall & winter steelheading, my breathables are made by Patagonia and i have studded wading boots to use with them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I own a set of Simms G3 Gortex waders and love them. I wear my breathables in all seasons. You can wear breathables in very cold water by wearing proper under garments and be very comfortable. You don't sweat because they breathe and they are way easier to hike in.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I own a set of Simms G3 Gortex waders and love them. I wear my breathables in all seasons. You can wear breathables in very cold water by wearing proper under garments and be very comfortable. You don't sweat because they breathe and they are way easier to hike in.
    What do you do to keep your feet warm? I see the guys with the breathables on the Anchor in the late fall and they usually don't stay in the water to long, the few i've asked why they quit always say the same thing "my feet are freezin". Maybe breathables with the bootfeet might be a better option but i'll stick with my neos for ironheads.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Polypropolene wicking sock with merino wool over sock. I have been perfectly confortable fishing in temps as low as 5 degrees F. It's not alot of fun steelheading when it's that cold out because of line and guide icing problems.
    What works the best is boot foot breatheables for winter steelheading.

I started out with neoprene waders with the boot built in, and they are very VERY warm. Neoprenes without the boot are also warm, and weigh a lot less. But with any neoprene wader you will sweat a lot. If you layer properly in them though, you will be fine. I switched to the Simms G3 waders two years ago also, and I'm never going back. They are so light, and you can barely feel them while in the water. I don't sweat or feel too hot, but I never feel too cold either. My feet are cold in them, but my feet are cold in the neoprene ones too(bad circulation or something.)

The main difference I see in the two matierials is I'm comfortable fishing 12+hours on the river in gortex waders, but I normaly find myself wanting to dunk myself in the river in the neoprenes.

Oh, one more thing...don't buy cheap waders. A friend of mine thought he was getting a good deal at fred meyers for "breathable" waders for just under 100 bucks, and hes returned three pairs already for leaks in the same spot every time.

Default Breathable with no Seams on inside of legs

Got to Cabela's
    For $180 they have a heavy duty breathable boot foot.
    The key is NO SEAMS ON THE INSIDE OF THE LEGS!
    Seams on the inside of the legs create a rub point that cuts the life of breathable waders way down. Used to be only $600 fancy waders were made with no seams on the inside of the legs, but now more readilly available that way. Mine are back ordered on Cabela's right now!

Make sure you get felt soles (not sure if I spelled sole correctly). The streams up here are very slippery, and you can avoid that with felt sole boots. I watched my friend slip and slide up and down the kenai all day, because he was using hard sole hip boots. I use felt and I did not even know the kenai was that sippery until then.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

cloudveils are freaking sweet, there might be a few heavily discounted on www.sierratradingpost.com
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Cold Feet? Who needs waders?

I am sure LL Bean has a great return policy, However based on first hand experience Cabelas has a no questions asked return policy also.

I wear my waders like a set of pants from April to Nov every year. I have tried both neo and breathable. The stocking feet on both types were made of the same similar basic material.

I like my breathable waders with stocking feet the best. I have tried 3 types of brands. I would not consider a discount type of waders unless you only plan to do a little bit of fishing. Kind of like owning a riding mower versus a push mower, little bitty yard-little bit of work. If cost is an issue, invest wisely and get a set of waders you can not only fish in, but live in.

As far as cold water, spring steelhead fishing or late fall grayling...You can add layers as needed under breathables including your feet. I have never had a problem with staying in the water because my feet get cold in breathables.

Cold Feet?

Even if I was fishing in a pair of flip-flops, cut-offs, and a tank top while wading in ice cold spring water, I would not get caught by anyone being out of the water when there is a chance of catching a chunky steelhead running up the river.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    cloudveils are freaking sweet, there might be a few heavily discounted on www.sierratradingpost.com
    Holy!
    Thats a lot of discounts!
    Thanks man!
    Have you ordered from them before? Im always worried when I order online, that if its not what I wanted (ex. wrong size) I cant return it.

Guess first off if you plan on fishing and riding a 4 wheeler AND hunting? I'd buy the cheapest pair you can find! You're going to destroy any pair of breathables trying to hunt from them. They are just not as durable as a pair or rubbers or neo's. Really the rubbers are no fun to wear though they are easy to repair and they are cheap. And the neo's on a wheeler will roast you like it was south of the border.

A pair of breathables that wears at the seams really sucks. The tape doesnt seem to hold so your only option is something like aquaseal.

Just to make you aware of what you're trying to do here. Really a pair of chest waders for hunting or 4 wheeling I'd question though a good pair of hippers is almost mandatory in most cases.

For stocking foot or boot foots. Really how picky are your feet?

Boot foots are nice, they dont compress like a pair of stocking foots do in deeper water. CAN BE (but not nessicarly are) warmer then stocking foots. Easier to not forget something, afterall there is no boots to leave at home, or rock guards to forget at the truck. There is also a seam or two less to repair should it leak. Not a real big nock but something to consider. There is usually not always some space as they are really not that form fitting to your feet as a pair of stocking foot boots are yet not quite as bad as say a pair of clown clogs. They are definatly warmer though which usually atleast in ALaska makes up for a sloppy fit, afterall you're not hiking mt everest here. Boot foots are usually cheaper in the long run also. WHen it comes down to it they can be considerably cheaper. They are however harder to dry inside the boot. Sure the first 2 or 3 years of harding fishing you maynot see the wear of misuse, but by the end of that 3rd into the 4th year the liners seem to start going in the boots if they are not properly dried. Lets face it, how many poor fishing nut gi's living in the dorms bother with boot driers, nope I sure wasnt one either. You'd think rolling them down to the boot tops is enough, it's not! I have two or three pairs still to prove that fact. All with the exact same issue. Rolling the stocking foots out to dry inside is just to easy.

Stocking foots are nice...light weight and you can change the boot style to what you want, some boots come with more then one type of soles to them which is also a bonus. Overall they are a bit more spendy though, and the boots really arent cheap, well the comfortable ones anyways. With the boots and the waders it can easily go twice as much....is comfort worth that?

My old boot foots served me well till I destroyed them (jungle rotted the boots out) and moved to stocking foots. Since the switch I dont think I'll go back to boot foots. It's a tough descion for me not to with as many hours in boot foots as I have, but I really think stocking foots have one me out.

I should add here, that a pair of spendy dan bailey's waders wont last any longer then a 100 or 150 buck pair from any sports store or catalog. Learned that the hard way also. If you fish a ton spending 3 or 4 times for a pair of waders that's going to last a year or two more in senseless imho! And thats not inluding the chota wading boots or whatever brand you choose.

The baileys were definatly nice but at pushing 400 bucks, extremely over priced (and no I didnt pay, they were a present from a few people who knew my addiction and how to feed it ). And they havent lasted any longer then any pair I've picked up at gander mountain or SWH, OR Cabelas. (yes I've worn and worn out more then a few pairs of waders too lol).

YOu can aqual seal the seams on breathables and it'll work just fine. It sure aint purdy though lol. It is however another pain to deal with. And I definatly wouldnt buy a pair from say the bargin bin or a pair that is opened and on sale or has been used. Breathables will leak eventually. SOme are junk out of the box. Some may open a seam up in very little time. The more you pay for them the more likely the company is going to replace them. But there's the catch, if you ordered them, how long do you care waiting when the king bite is on and winding down? Heaven forbid you have 2 3 or 4 pairs of chest waders and 2 or 3 pairs of hipboots stashed at your disposal when a 5 dollar tube of aqual seal carried along as cheap insurance could save your trip. Or you're stuck at home the 20th of june when the king bite is on fire and you have no waders to fish in. Lets face it, not all of us really need more then 5 pairs of waders per season, cough cough

I agree to felt but becareful on the goose turd muck. That hard yet slipery as ice mudd. Felt really stinks there as does the hard soles, another reason to buy the multi soled stocking foot wader boots .

Just keep an eye on craigslist. I picked up 2 pair last week for $50. Take them home and check for leaks and seal them, and you will have a pair for hunting and a pair for fishing.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

If you do buy a pair off craigs list, and check for leaks, an easy way to do it is:

1. go into the bathroom, hang the waders upside down from the shower rack.
    2. Then turn off all of the lights and stick a mag light in them, without the top on. So it is just the bulb sticking out, I think this is called candle mode.
    3. If you can see light shining out of them, you have a leak.

Much easier then sticking them in a tub of water and turning them inside out to find a leak.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Breathable...

I would suggest breathable waders over neoprene. If riding an atv, be sure they are not too tight. Also, neoprene could melt on the hot areas of the atv. Some good deals can be had at Cabela's "Bargain Cave" on their website. $150 would get you a good pair. As for stocking foot or boot sole, it is up to you. I have had good luck with the waders with the built in lug sole boots. Put good gel inserts into them and wear high quality wool socks for wicking and comfort. For this reason, they should feel a little loose when you try them on in the store. The thick socks and gel inserts will take up some space. I have had good luck with Cabela's brand waders over the years. Great value.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.