Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bear pepper spray

Question bear pepper spray

Which one is best?

What do you like and why?

--

This is a real inquiry. I will be well armed if I am out but would consider bringing along pepper spray to ward off bears that I feel I dont have to shoot.

I plan on bear calling and I hear that method can bring all kinds of bears in close.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=27104

Here is a thread that discusses. Pay attention to AKridgerunners comment. He does have a lot of experience with it.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=14899
    Maybe this one too...note that spray only worked like 5 of 8 times

OK I'm going to use bear spray this spring! Now the question is do big stores there have a selection or, or should I order online when I've made up my mind which one I'll carry. I think "Counter Assult" looks like the overall best bet.
    Hhounds

HH I don't think that you can carry it on an airplane. I might be wrong though.

what you want to look for is a spray with the most amount of Scoville units. The human spray I use has 10% oc and 2 million scoville heat units. It looks like the bear spray is the same. I imagine the bear spray is much like spray on humans, Some people can take it no problem some, like me go down hard. lol
    What I wonder is why they dont make a spray projection for bear spray. The fogger they make works good in the right situation. Fog is more prone to wind but hits a wider target where as stream isnt as affected by wind but has a more limited area hit.

Default pilots point of view

Coming from a pilot of small aircraft I hate the pepper spray stuff. I feel more comfortable with someone I dont know sitting beside me in a plane with a pistol than I do when someone I know throws in a can of bear spray into the luggage area.

For me if I have to haul someone who cant live without their bear spray than I make them put in in an airtight ammo can or in a float compartment. The fear I have is the thing going off and then nobody in the plane can see and breathe. Its hard to land a plane blindfolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    HH I don't think that you can carry it on an airplane. I might be wrong though.
    I'm pretty shure you can't, but My learning this might have been due to a specific airline's policy though.

Once you put the bear spray on how long does in last?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default bear spray

I used to work in Yellowstone and I remember talking to a park ranger about bear spray one day. The park ranger said that they had ran into problems with people thinking it worked like bug spray and they sprayed themselves. I also remember her saying that a person also bought a case of the bear spray and then proceeded to spray a perimeter around their campsite. I guess the stuff attracts bears out of curiosity if just sprayed on the ground.

Working in Yellowstone you would also see or hear about someone leaving the bear spray on the dash of their car in the summer heat and having it explode. I was told it takes a couple of days to vent a car after a bear spray explosion.

Default Anyone see the pepper spray tests !!!

There was a guy a couple years back that did a test of pepper sprays on bears. I dont know if he sprayed any bears with it. What he did do was spray it on the ground in a bear infested area.
    The bears would lick it off the ground!! They are a bit like us. They find it tasty. But they also dont like it sprayed in their face.

As far as I know the spray actually has to hit the bear in the face.

This is from the counter assault website:
    Counter Assault the original “grizzly tough” bear spray, recipient of the Grizzly Bear Stewardship Award and the only bear pepper spray proven to deter bears through University of Montana research.

Counter assault has a 32 foot range for distance and sprays in a cone shape.

Bear Conflicts Database Findings
    1. Single campers were disproportionately more involved in bear conflicts than camps with 2 or more people (Chi-square = 29.5, df = 14, p = 0.033).
    2. Implementation of a policy requiring campers to use bear resistant food containers resulted in a large drop in bear-camper incidents (Fig. 2).
    3. Most bear-human conflicts occur between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. (85%), with the remainder occurring from 6 p.m. and midnight.
    4. Black and brown bears were nearly equally involved in conflicts with people (56% vs. 44%), although black bears sightings (2100) outnumbered brown bear sighting (1225) nearly 2 to 1.
    5. Single bears were involved in conflicts 8 times more often than females with cubs.
    6. Human foods were frequently involved in bear conflict (43%).
    7. Overnight campers were involved in bear conflict (43%) more than any other human activity mode (e.g., hikers, day kayakers).
    8. Most bear-human conflicts (68%) lasted for more than an hour.
    9. Red pepper spray was successful in deterring bears in 5 of 8 instances reported.
    10. Bears destroyed more than $21,000 of camping gear in a 30-year period (1970-2000).
    11. In more than 98% of all reported incidents, bears did not injure people.
    12. An assessment of information supplied by persons involved in bear conflicts suggests that people were responsible for precipitating conflicts twice as often as were the bears involved.
    That means that 37.5% of the time the pepper spray didn't work...So I guess people that count on pepper spray working for them are betting that their in the 62.5% group
    When I'm betting my life....I would like better odds than 62.5% chance

9. Red pepper spray was successful in deterring bears in 5 of 8 instances reported.

Yes but the study didn't say why the 3 out of 8 failed, it copuld be a number of reasons. I've peronally used bear spray on two different black bears and it worked great. Yes, you have to get it in the eyes and mouth for best results.
    As far as spraying it on the ground, it will attract bears, after all its a spice and they will smell it. Bear spray on the ground and in the face is two entirely different things.
    There are areas, some national parks, that have restrictions on carrying weapons so bear spray may be the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post

Yes but the study didn't say why the 3 out of 8 failed, it copuld be a number of reasons. I've peronally used bear spray on two different black bears and it worked great. Yes, you have to get it in the eyes and mouth for best results.
    As far as spraying it on the ground, it will attract bears, after all its a spice and they will smell it. Bear spray on the ground and in the face is two entirely different things.
    There are areas, some national parks, that have restrictions on carrying weapons so bear spray may be the only option.
    Yep, and than 62.5% chance of deterring a bear with pepper spray is better than 0% without
    I try to stay away from places that don't allow you to protect yourself.
    Last edited by Bear Buster; 03-23-2008 at 21:06. Reason: added info

Bear Buster, so you dont like bear spray.

How does that add to this thread?

Sounds like bear spray is more effective than handguns.

I already stated : "I will be well armed if I am out but would consider bringing along pepper spray to ward off bears that I feel I dont have to shoot."

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Bear Buster, so you dont like bear spray.

How does that add to this thread?

Sounds like bear spray is more effective than handguns.

I already stated : "I will be well armed if I am out but would consider bringing along pepper spray to ward off bears that I feel I dont have to shoot."
    Sounded like to me you wanted info on pepper spray....So just giving you info on what I found, do with the info whatever you want.
    And no, I don't think pepper spray is something I'd ever carry based on independent info on it's success....of course if I were trying to SELL it to you, I could probably find stats on pepper spray from spray manufactures that would differ from independent studies. Just trying to give you the straight scoop as I know it.....Sorry if I was sounding pushey....because I could really care less if you bought bear spray or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    Sounded like to me you wanted info on pepper spray....So just giving you info on what I found, do with the info whatever you want.
    And no, I don't think pepper spray is something I'd ever carry based on independent info on it's success....of course if I were trying to SELL it to you, I could probably find stats on pepper spray from spray manufactures that would differ from independent studies. Just trying to give you the straight scoop as I know it.....Sorry if I was sounding pushey....because I could really care less if you bought bear spray or not!

How is the USGS for independant? http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...epperspray.htm

It is a comprehensive review of peper sprays, why the work, why they dont, and how effective they are compared to guns. And Alaska specific:

What has been the Alaskan experience with bear pepper spray?
    A: For the past several years I have been constructing a database of bear-human conflicts that have occurred in Alaska. To date the database contains nearly 500 incidents that span a century. Among these there have been only 15 that involved persons spraying bears with bear pepper spray. Of these 15 incidents where person(s) chose to use bear pepper spray to defend themselves, 13 were decided successes (87% success rate), and 2 were judged ‘failures’. In the one failure the bear charged through the spray cloud, swatted a woman to the ground, bit her in the face and left. In the other failure the bear did not leave the immediate vicinity of the hiker (it was only 15 feet away) when sprayed directly into its face. Consequently this well-armed hiker fired a bullet over the bear’s head, apparently providing enough reasons then for the bear to turn and leave. The majority of Alaskan cases involved grizzly/brown bears (12 of 15) and one bear pepper spray failure was attributed to each species. In short, bear pepper spray is a proven bear deterrent in Alaska.
    Even if bear pepper spray has effectively thwarted a number of bear attacks, aren’t you better off relying on a gun to do the job? Isn’t bear spray the best choice only when a gun is neither available nor permitted (as in National Parks)?
    A: My co-workers, family and myself don’t opt to carry bear pepper spray over firearms for any reason other than it has a better track record than firearms for deterring bear attacks in Alaska. Although fewer bear pepper spray incidents have been recorded than those involving firearms (14 versus, bear pepper spray has been 87% effective in deterring aggressive bears whereas firearms have fared worse. In analyzing the Alaska Bear Attacks Database Project that I and Dr. Steve Herrero have been involved in the past several years, we identified a number of incidents involving firearms and bears with sufficient information for analysis. The following graph presents those raw data:
    One thing is clear after browsing these data: possession of a firearm is no guarantee that one will emerge from a bear attack unscathed. Closer examination of the Alaskan bear attacks database reveals that some firearms were of insufficient caliber (e.g., .22 caliber) to have effectively dealt with an attacking bear. We also know that some persons were so suddenly attacked that they had little or no time to put the firearm to use. And of course, some persons were not experienced marksmen and that too added to these results. Interestingly, however, we know that the same applies to the persons carrying bear spray: that they were surprised and likely inexperienced. Yet the nearly 90% success rate of those carrying bear pepper spray is an impressive statistic not to be easily dismissed. This leads us to the next question: why is bear pepper spray so effective?

It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Which one is best?

What (bear spray) do you like and why?

I was NOT looking for a spray vs. gun vs. let the bear nibble on you debate.

Besides I already said I was going to be armed and I already think a gun is better than spray. I would like to have the option of warding off bears with spray rather than having to fire shots. I will be out hunting and would like to be able to keep quiet while I am out there.

Quote from ridgerunner from the link in my earlier attempt to answer your question:
    "I have used and carry bear spray. However there are many brands out there to choose from. Field tested many, but now after 17 years, only carry two brands. UDAP and Counter Assault. They are very effective on brown/black bears (in my experience). I have used them on bears in many different situations and have always had immediate results."

Default Udap

Get the UDAP "Magnum" kit with holster. Cabelas is selling them now. You can't take it on commercial airlines, you need to mail it to bush pilot ahead of time. A month ahead of time would be good. If using a stove that required isobutane cannisters sent them in same box. throw in a few bic lighters while you are at it. Ask the pilot if he would prefer you to duct tape it on the outside of the plane. He will appreciate the fact that you offered at any rate. Buy an inert practice can from UDAP so you can see what the spray looks like. Don't read their "Bear Attacks" book before your trip.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast