Thread: Hooligan For Shrimp

Default Hooligan For Shrimp

Any one ever tried it I think it would leave a great sent trail w/ all that oil, however don't know if it legal. just curious

Default Once

I tried hooligan one time in the shrimp pots. They came up empty. Could have been a bad spot though. There was still fish left when I pulled the pots, so I don't think someone else pulled the pots before I got there. Usually any carcass I put in comes up cleaned off. I have not tried that location again.

Default Hooligan For Shrimp

What a great trade!

Default I use it

And have had great success, got a freezer full just waiting for this year. I also use it for silvers and for Butt's.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

shrimp pellets aka shrimp crack they love it

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'm going to rob the Queens freezer because I ran out last year It not only works but the price is right and yes it is legal to use as bait.

Default good bait...

I have caught halibut, rockfish, kings, silvers, rainbows, and lake trout on hooligan it in 2007-8. (not shrimp, yet...)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default What is it?

Can someone please tell me what a Hooligan is

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica View Post
    Well, it is a smelt type of fish that runs west coast rivers and streams in great numbers. Some people eat them, and some people use them to catch other things to eat. Little is known about them really. Turnagain Arm has a fair run on the 20 mile river. I have had good sucess there on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica View Post
    Their real name is "eulachon". They're also called candle-fish... I know several native families that still dry them out whole, and once they're dried, you can actually light them and burn them because of all the oil... I jigged up a mess in Petersburg last year and tried them for salmon and halibut bait, but they seemed a bit soft... next time I'll brine them to death first...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Hey Case...

We have a phenomenal baitfish here called an "opelu", not sure exactly what family it's in but I think it's a type of mackeral scad. It's the best bait you can find/catch in Hawaii. Anyways, they too get soft if you just freeze them; brining them like you said will do the trick. We've let them sit for hours in a 5 gallon bucket of ocean water/ice, then we freezed them 5 or so to a ziploc. Works great, probably do the same for hooligan.
    Jim
    PS---does anybody do this with herring?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    We have a phenomenal baitfish here called an "opelu", not sure exactly what family it's in but I think it's a type of mackeral scad. It's the best bait you can find/catch in Hawaii. Anyways, they too get soft if you just freeze them; brining them like you said will do the trick. We've let them sit for hours in a 5 gallon bucket of ocean water/ice, then we freezed them 5 or so to a ziploc. Works great, probably do the same for hooligan.
    Jim
    PS---does anybody do this with herring?
    yup, it works great...

Hooligan can legally be used as bait because catching them falls under personal use, you cannot legally give, trade, or sell them to people outside of your immediate family under personal use rules if you want to get technical about it.

I've chummed big pike in with smoked hooligan, my mom hated the taste so I just used them as bait/ chum. Couldn't keep the stupid big rainbows off though, not the worst problem to have when pike fishing (I did stop using bait in that lake after that.)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.