Thread: Seaweed, Starfish, Clamshells...

The S.E. of the N.W.

Default Seaweed, Starfish, Clamshells...

Anybody use shells for lime or seaweed/starfish for compost/fertilizer?

Any other useful tips for utilizing the natural bits around us in our gardens?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Userconflictville Alaska

Black Seaweed especially with herring roe on it was one of my favorite mulches in Southeast as were clam shells ect... but bears really like to dig it up so you may be limited in it's use depending where you live.

Wink natural fungicide and insect repellent

As the wet season left me with lots of powdery mildew and other fungus related problems last year and there are always those pesky aphids around I did some research and found this 2fer deal.
    Put 1 whole head of garlic, 3 C of water, 2 Tbsp. canola oil, 4 hot peppers, and 1 whole lemon in the blender until it is finely chopped up. Let this steep overnight and then Strain it through cheese cloth. Use at a rate if 4 Tbsp. per gallon of water and store the unused part in the fridge. My lilies didn't even bloom last year because of the fungal infection and so I am hoping this will work. Don't get it in your eyes!!! And I would wear gloves too just because of the hot pepper juice.
    another recipe
    1 Tbsp baking soda,2 1/2 Tbsp veg. oil, with a gallon of water shake it up thouroughly. then add 1/2 tsp castile soap(find it at the health food store). Spray this on the leaves top and bottom and some on the soil. Repeat every 5-7 days
    This is good for anthracnos, early tomatoe blight, leaf blight and spots, podery mildew and as a general fungicide. Use as preventative or at the first signs of trouble. Plants that are already infected should be sprayed off with water first to knock the spores off for best results.
    I am hoping that they work, and they are "green"