Thread: day hike in April

Default day hike in April

I was gonna hike from the Eagle River visitor center to Eagle Glacier (and back in one day) on the trail system. Anyone have any advice for this hike, i.e. will I need snowshoes? I have never been on this trail/area, just saw it on the map so, any info. is appreciated.

Good luck. You could probably make it from the Visitor Center to Thunder Gorge and back in one day without trouble, but not to the glacier. Just to Thunder Gorge would be 24 miles round trip, all the way to Eagle Lake would be about 27 or 28 miles round trip. Beyond the lake there is no trail. Bushwhacking around the edge of that lake is bad - really bad - and will take you way longer than the time you'll have. I've spent an entire day just going from Thunder Gorge to the glacier and back, and that is already 12 miles down the trail. You may be biting off more than you can chew in a single day here. Give it a shot, as it's a beautiful hike, but be wise when it comes to turning back.

(By the way, the trail from mile 7-9 has been flooded pretty consistently from beaver activity the past couple of years. Don't be surprised if you have to walk a mile or more in knee-deep water.)

thats exactly what I was looking for...thanks alot for the advice

Is there any way to go around the flooded areas?

It may or not be flooded. They've knocked out the beaver dams at times and the trail has returned to decent condition. As of last July I think the trail was dry, but I was just making sure that you're aware that it might be flooded. Hard to say, really. If flooded, you might be able to bushwhack up the hillside a bit. When I have walked the flooded section it appeared as though some tried to make their own trail up the side of the mountain, but it didn't look any easier.