Thread: Kodiak winter Kill info

Default Kodiak winter Kill info

Anyone have info on how the deer faired on Kodiak this year? have not seen any posts on this yet.

kinda curious to hear also. Figuring I may spend an extra week or so down there chasing blacktails....

I will call F&G this monday. will send you a note via I/M. I am thinking this year was a mild winter and the deer should have fared well. TTYL

Jeffster,
    It has not been a mild winter on Kodiak. Not quite as cold as last year but I think we have had more snow. We still have two feet of snow on the ground here. I have been seeing deer but I am sure there are a few that did not make.

Default jeffster

Would love to hear how it panned out, as well. Have a hunt planned for Nov. Can't wait!!!!

Default winter comparison

Currently we have 7 inches of snow on the ground at the kodiak airport. This has just fallen the last couple of days. This month we have had 33 inches fall compared to last march we 13 inches. But this march has been a lot warmer with an average temp of 33 degrees compared to 22 degrees last march, so most of the snow melts fairly fast, at least down low. Overall this winter (Jan and Feb) has been a little colder just by a few degrees though. Last year we had 31 inches of snow in jan and from 9 to 25 inches of snow on the ground for the entire month. This Jan we had 16 inches of snow and between 1 to 3 inches on the ground for the month. Some improvement there anyway. Last feb we only had 1 inch of snow fall and only the first week with 2 to 7 inches on the ground. This feb we had 36 inches fall and a week with over a foot on the ground and the remainder of the month between 2 to 7 inches on the ground. Last march we had snow all month long, and this year there has been some improvement over last year with the warmer temps. All that said I can only speculate that it wasn't as hard on the deer as last year, but maybe that is just my wishful thinking..... Hopefully the fish and wildlife will give us some answers.

I sent an e-mail to Van Daele today and will let you all know when I hear back. He is usually great with getting back to me when I ask him about deer and such.

Ok folks here it is straight from the Man himself. I would not have thought Kodiak had another bad one. Darn Global warming anyhow!!

QUOTE;
    "We have had another long winter with above average snowfall and persistent cold temperatures. We still have another month or so of winter left, so we will not start our winter-mortality counts until the end of April. From what we have seen from periodic flights around the island, it looks comparable to last year. In other words, the deer population will be lower than usual and the south end of the island will fare better than the north end and Afognak."

With all the snow and cold we had this winter it does not surprise me. I am still seeing most of the deer this week that I had been watching in early January.
    I have seen some yearling deer this past week were as last year I did not see any.
    Just my $0.02

Who is the "man", the biologist responsible for Kodiak?

Oh I am sorry to have confused you. Post number #7 on this topic. would be the answer to your question.

Thanks- I should have picked that up.

Thumbs down

You would think with last years winter kill on the island there would be less competition for food this winter. Shoudn't this help the current deer population survive the winter? I hope they don't lose anymore deer this year, especially the yearlings. There were so few yearling last year when I was there.

drove the south road system yesterday and saw about 20 deer or so, all looked good and some even had fawns with them from last season...crust on the snow they can get around on top of the snow right now. we'll see what break up does to them, at least the warm temps will help, its the cold that kills them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake, Spot any goats while you were there?