Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Argo Conquest track options

  1. #1
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default Argo Conquest track options

    Ive been looking around at all the track options for the Argo Conquest and I am starting to get frustrated. I have the Rawhide III tires currently and so far I am happy with them. I would really like to find a set of tracks that would work with them, but I can buy a set of runamuks if I have to to be able to run tracks. I have looked at three options so far. The Argo Supertracks, the Bolduk rubber tracks and the Escargo tracks. Does anyone have any experience with all three that could share the problems and limitations of each. I have heard that the escargo tracks and rubber tracks are too heavy for the conquest's power and they tear up tranny's and drivetrain components, and that the supertracks do pretty good in the deep powder but not on hills. I think the ultimate set of tracks would be something like the escargo tracks but with aluminum plates in place of the steel. I dont think that would be too tough to fab up. What does everyone else think?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  2. #2
    Member Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Alaska
    Posts
    2,049

    Default

    You can not run the Plastic tracks without the runamucks on the Conquest , And I thought only the Avenger and the new Frontier where the only Argos that could run the rubber tracks , I looked at the escargo tracks to heavy and noisy ,Not good if you are running river rocks and I think they have to have the Runamucks also. 2 of my Conquest have the Super tracks the other have the Narrow , Get the super tracks you will need the extensions.

    Even if I could run the Rubber on my Conquest ,I'd stick with the plastic Mainly because of stretch , With the plastic tracks you can take a link out and use them a little longer.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    579

    Default

    I have the Super Tracks on my Conquest and really like them. If you want to go with the standard tracks (narrow) check out Route 6X6 web site. They sell them pretty cheap and shipping was not that bad either. Just a thought.

  4. #4
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I thought only the Avenger and the new Frontier where the only Argos that could run the rubber tracks , I looked at the escargo tracks to heavy and noisy ,Not good if you are running river rocks and I think they have to have the Runamucks also. 2 of my Conquest have the Super tracks the other have the Narrow , Get the super tracks you will need the extensions.
    This place makes their own rubber tracks for the Conquest and other models as well as the new avenger. http://www.argorsbolduc.com/items.html
    Scroll down a few pictures and check out the blue conquest with them on.
    I e-mailed them and they want $3000 plus shipping but they also have a guy here in Anchorage that is a distributor for them. I am going to talk with him a little before I go much further. I agreee that the Escargo tracks would be noisy and rougher on rocks, and as they are they are too heavy, but man the video's I have seen show them going through some nasty stuff like it wasnt there. Also hill climbs are amazing! Thats why I am wondering if a set of tracks like them made out of aluminum would be the ticket.

    Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    I have the Super Tracks on my Conquest and really like them. If you want to go with the standard tracks (narrow) check out Route 6X6 web site. They sell them pretty cheap and shipping was not that bad either. Just a thought.
    I am pretty sure if I go with either argo tracks it will be the super tracks. Just have to find a set of runamuks and rims!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  5. #5
    Member mooseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    fairbanks
    Posts
    60

    Default Tracks

    Cory
    One outfit that sells plastic tracks is called tru traxx. Stay away from these they are cheaper but for a reason. I went with them first and had nothing but troubles. I talked to a guy here in Fairbanks that was running the rubber tracks on his Conquest but he only runs them in the winter. He tried them a little on dirt and felt that it was to hard on the machine. The thing to remeber about those tracks is they are 20" wide where the Argo rubber tracks for the Advenger are 18" wide. I am still looking for or am going to try to make an 13" wide rubber track. Keep in touch if you find any thing.
    Clark

  6. #6
    Member Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Alaska
    Posts
    2,049

    Default

    Sorry ,But I'm a believer of the the ARGO plastic Super tracks , I wear out a set every 5 months in the summer. So thats alot of riding keep in mind I travel over alot of river rock thats what wears them out fast and I never have a problem except when I have a low tire and do not notice it and walk out of a track .I know guys that run the rubber on the Avengers and they have torn guides ripped rubber, And I still do not see how you can shorten the tracks when they stretch, I follwed him across the Big Su bridge one day He had those rubber tracks .Man did he have a time trying to keep those tracks from walking off ,That rubber sticks to everything hard including dirt and looked like he was fighting it the entire time .With the plastic you can spin 360's on the pavement ,Try doing that with the rubber tracks. Now I will say the plastic tracks are also harder to turn with dry ground.

    Hunt'N'Photos,
    I just picture those paddles on those tracks either getting in a bind on something and ripping off a paddle. Or more likeable scenario ,When argo tracks get loose they slap the tub and wear a hole in the plastic ,They are flat , So imagine a paddle !!!!! Not much clearance as it is ,I just see that paddle getting stuck at the back of the tub on its way
    around and tearing up alot of stuff. Now if you only plan on using them in the snow or tundra and not runing over rocks or logs. I might try them, But what are the changes of
    that.......
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

  7. #7
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooseeker View Post
    Cory
    One outfit that sells plastic tracks is called tru traxx. Stay away from these they are cheaper but for a reason.
    Clark
    I had heard that in a post on one of the other boards as well. They are also the same size as the original argo tracks, correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Sorry ,But I'm a believer of the the ARGO plastic Super tracks , I wear out a set every 5 months in the summer. So thats alot of riding keep in mind I travel over alot of river rock thats what wears them out fast and I never have a problem except when I have a low tire and do not notice it and walk out of a track .I know guys that run the rubber on the Avengers and they have torn guides ripped rubber, And I still do not see how you can shorten the tracks when they stretch, I follwed him across the Big Su bridge one day He had those rubber tracks .Man did he have a time trying to keep those tracks from walking off ,That rubber sticks to everything hard including dirt and looked like he was fighting it the entire time .With the plastic you can spin 360's on the pavement ,Try doing that with the rubber tracks. Now I will say the plastic tracks are also harder to turn with dry ground.

    Hunt'N'Photos,
    I just picture those paddles on those tracks either getting in a bind on something and ripping off a paddle. Or more likeable scenario ,When argo tracks get loose they slap the tub and wear a hole in the plastic ,They are flat , So imagine a paddle !!!!! Not much clearance as it is ,I just see that paddle getting stuck at the back of the tub on its way
    around and tearing up alot of stuff. Now if you only plan on using them in the snow or tundra and not runing over rocks or logs. I might try them, But what are the changes of
    that.......
    Roger,
    Thanks for the real world experience. How many miles do you think your running when you wear a set of tracks out in 5 months? I think you guys have sold me on the supertracks, but if anyone else has any experience with any other tracks lets hear about it!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  8. #8
    Member Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Alaska
    Posts
    2,049

    Default

    Hunt'N'Photos ,

    We put about 30 hrs a week on our Argos for 18 weeks, So thats about 2,000 miles and we run every type of terrain. I say that about the rubbing because one of my guide did not tell me one year he heard them rubbing and on my weekly in depth inspection I noticed a rubbed hole above the tires in the tub. Does not affect floatation because the water never gets that high even floating unless your load is off balance. A trick to fix that is a 5 inch strip of I use diamond plate the length of the argo riviot it to the tub and if you do rub only the tracks wear down not your tub. I have not done that on all of mine yet . My guys know to watch and listen now since I said the next time it happens it's was coming out of their next pay chack. Get the Super and be done with it !!!!!! but wait another few weeks because I have to go get my sets first.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Hunt'N'Photos

    Route 6X6 sells rim and tire packages also. If I remember right runamuck package was $750. Nice guy to deal/talk with if you get a chance.

    Roger

    Did you get my message from another post about argo bearing? I found a place here in Fairbanks that sells them. If interested in info let me know.

  10. #10
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Hunt'N'Photos

    Route 6X6 sells rim and tire packages also. If I remember right runamuck package was $750. Nice guy to deal/talk with if you get a chance.

    Roger

    Did you get my message from another post about argo bearing? I found a place here in Fairbanks that sells them. If interested in info let me know.
    Hey Roger, I found that website a little while back but I didnt see many prices for anything. I am going to have to e-mail him and see what he has to offer. I did find your post about the bearing as well. If you can, pm me with the details. My bearings are in good shape right now, but I would like to start getting a few spare parts just in case.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  11. #11
    Member ARGONUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    207

    Default

    you can shorten the rubber super tracks by just buying another conection hinge and putting it in the tear spot or cutting out a section if it is stretches you can do this about 2 or 3 times before you have to replace the whole track again

  12. #12
    Member mooseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    fairbanks
    Posts
    60

    Default track options

    Another company I found is call escargo tracks. They look real good.

  13. #13
    Member ACNDHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    408

    Default tracks

    The Alaska Amphib had his tracks custom made at Cleating Resources in Portland. It looks like they make what you want.
    I did ask Stan's wife if he would make me an amphib but keep it under 1500#, that prduced a pretty good laugh!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •