Thread: 9wt or 10wt for Reds

Question 9wt or 10wt for Reds

I was wondering which rod would work better for Reds on the Klutina a 9wt or 10wt Gloomis G2 fly rod. Thanks.

Ron

Default Too much?

Either of those might be a little too much. We use 6 or 7 wt on the kenai for rainbows and reds. A 9 or 10 wt is good for silvers-kings.

Steve

Default I concur with Steve...

The Kenai strain of reds run larger than other systems' reds I believe, and we (total novices) caught lots of reds last year, doing everything wrong too. I had an inexpensive Cabela's 8 wt and it handled EVERY situation, good & bad. My buddies then got their own 9 & 10 wt outfits and I thought those to be heavier and somewhat more difficult to use than the 8. Plus the 8 seemed to have more sensitivity (crucial to red fishing). I am by no means a qualified fly fisherman, but that 8 wt is a pure joy.
    Jim

Agreed... my 8 handles 30#+ kings in the salt quite well, and I KNOW it's got nothing to do with angler skill as I have none with a fly rod! I would think for the smaller sockeye that a 9 or 10 would be overly heavy and may take some of the experience away.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Alcan Ron

I broke two..........TWO..........9w Orvis rods on reds in the last four years. Really a bummer. They are super sensitive and obviously not very reliable. Soooooooooooo, when they broke, I resorted to the 6w Browning and caught reds for the rest of the season. Go figure. I got ANOTHER Orvis replacement last fall and I'm looking forward to this season to see if I can break another one. The last one broke in two places and neither of them at the joint. For Reds, you can play them fine with a 6 or 7w. The 8 and 9 are really for the silvers. I haven't tried the 9 on a King, but may have to try that this year after reading this thread.

M

I fish the Kenai and Russian reds with a 7 wt. and get them in plenty fine. My wife uses an 8 though so that the rod does a little more work than she does. But a 9 or 10 would be overkill.

My favorite is 7WT. To me it seems perfect for everything but kings. I like 9 and 10 for kings.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

well if you are using a high modulus graphite rod which I think the G2 is you don't want to use it doing typical sockeye fishing if you don't want to break your rod. I have an 8/9 wt I use for flipping and ripping, its slow cheap and durable. If you hit a high modulus rod with your weight chances are you will break it or weaken it significantly.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    well if you are using a high modulus graphite rod which I think the G2 is you don't want to use it doing typical sockeye fishing if you don't want to break your rod. I have an 8/9 wt I use for flipping and ripping, its slow cheap and durable. If you hit a high modulus rod with your weight chances are you will break it or weaken it significantly.

AKPM
    The G2 is Loomis's lowest modulus graphite blank.
    The order from low to high is G2, G3, IMX, GLX

I Use a 6wt lamiglass. I have had this rod for 10 years now. you should only have to go a 8wt max. Anything else would be over kill. My two cents.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I totally agree, I use a Sage 5100 10 foot 5 wt on the Kenai for anything short of a king. I have caught a bunch of silvers, dollys and bows over the years. Mind you it is a very powerfull 5 wt. I would think a 6 or 7 wt would be perfect for most situations.

Default Depending on the water

Alcan Ron

Guys just seems a little off subject considering the quesiton A.R. was about the Klutina and not the Kenai not that water is not water but the Klutina can be very fast and I mean very fast compared to parts of the kenai without the wiggle room to land fish.

Yes I agree for the most part thr 9/10W is a tad over kill for the average Red fishing however being that he will be in mixed fishing most of the time on the Klutina it may not be a bad option.

IMO - If your fishing high i.e. about 6 miles up from the Camp Grounds to the lake yes a 9/10W will be stiff and just a bit to much. If your fishing near or around the Camp Grounds down to the mouth and fishing mixed Kings with Reds then by all means fish away with the 9/10W at least you will be able to control the fish somewhat.

Just food for thought!

Tight Lines and Best Wishes.

Blue Moose
    www.bluemooserafting.com

I think many of the replies on this thread do not take into consideration the heavy force of the current on the Klutina R.

I fish the Kenai for reds w/ 6-7 wt fast action rod...

However, on the Klutina depending on how far the reds where holding from the main current a 8-10 wt would be appropriate, esp since you have to use so much more weight to get down in some places.

Many places you could get away w/ lighter rod on the Klutina, but I would not want to hammer a nice 6-7 wt chuckin too much weight or trying horse in a red against that heavy current.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i used a 9 foot 9 weight lamiglas for a few years and id pull them reds in skipping on there sides out of the kenai and russian. depends on what you are looking to do i suppose. im not a fly fisherman but i do enjoy staying away form the russian and the crowds nowadays.

Default Take 2 rods...

Maybe get a backup for the trip? Probably a good idea anyway. The place we fish mostly for reds on the Kenai is not user friendly in the sense that there are rapids downstream very close by, plus as we're fishing upstream of them (closely) the water tends to pick up speed. We caught some reds last year that I though for sure were snagged but they were big ones fairly hooked and I don't recall losing one fish thru the rapids. I think a lot of consideration also should be made on the actual style of fighting the fish; less frantic the better, and it's possible to get those big fish in quickly.
    As said, you can't go too wrong going bigger.
    I'm still not sure how we didn't break the 8 wt I've got! Maybe the more inexpensive rods can handle abuse better. I'll see in July as I have another combo from Cabela's, this time a 6 wt.
    Jim