Thread: Info for the best Optics around

Post Info for the best Optics around

Hey fella's I'm looking around for intel on Optics. I've picked up a 7mm and would like to get some input on what is the best for the price these days. Thanks.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Best for the price would be IMHO the Burris, Weaver Grand Slam or Nikon optics. Leupold, Swarovski, Kahles, Night Force and so on might be better optics overall, but not for the money.

Default Best buy in Optics

You will never get the hunter/shooter bunch to agree on this anymore then we would all agree on the best bullet or rifle. My advice is to look through as many scopes as you can. I think the most bang for the buck is Leupold or the Zeiss Conquest. My favorite hunting scope is the Leupold 2.5 X 8. Spend twice as much money on your binoculars as you do for a sighting instrument for your rifle.

If You could afford, take a Swarovski or a Zeiss DIAVARI... They are the best from my point of view...

Default Tasco

Get a Tasco. Comes with a free tee-shirt.

:-)

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Okay...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan
    Get a Tasco. Comes with a free tee-shirt.

:-)

-Mike
    All right, that was a bit sarcastic. I'd try a look through the archives on this one; we've already written quite a bit on this topic! I would also suggest reading John Barsness's book, "Optics for the Hunter". Excellent read.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

First define your budget, $200, 300, 500, 1000?

Then what configuration are you looking for, fixed power, variable power? Do you want target turrets, or something other than a plex reticle?

Personally I like a fixed scope, and a 7 would be a perfect setup for 6X. Weaver makes a good solid scope for about $100, Leupold makes a fine one in their 6X42 that is running around $350, and target turrets will add another $100 or so, and then their is Schmidt and Bender which will set you back about $1000, but will arguably be the best glass you can buy.

Why not try to snipe a decent used Leupold on Ebay?

Best for the price?

I have heard some good reports on BSA scopes; decent optics and good repeatable movements. Look on Ebay or the mailorder wholesalers for a new one. Probably would work fine for you.

Pay attention to your scope mount and rings too. If you want an excellent sighting setup for your rifle, you will likely spend as much as the rifle cost you; unless you KNOW what you want and how to buy it.

A BSA scope with Dual Dovetail mount & rings would be pretty decent and cost under $150.

Find a back issue of Field and Stream from a couple of months ago...

They did an article on best scopes for the money.

Personally, I wouldn't get a BSA. I'd look at a Leupold VXII minimum. A Zeiss Conquest has been mentioned, great scope. Don't forget a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Premium. Great scope. I have one on my 7mm Mag.

Best one I've used is a Kahles, but it was around $1,800. Thankfully it wasn't on my gun and I didn't pay for it.

Default scope thougts

The Burris Signature series is one of the best scopes I have ever owned for the money. Put a 6x24 on a 300 Weatherby. I have shot that gun for four years and the scope is flawless. This is a light gun also. It would have ruined a lesser scope by now. Burris has a forever warranty also and I hear they are great about standing behind their products. I was so impressed with it when I got my first 50 B M G (An Armalite AR-50) I got a Burris Black Diamond 8x32. It too has impressed me tremendously. Zeiss, Nightforce, etc.... All super nice scopes. But for around $360 you can have a scope that is 90% as good for 20% of the price. When you ask "best scope for the money" Burris is all that comes to mind. Spend that extra money on reloading supplies and you will be a much better and happier shooter. My 2 cents.

So far the best scope I have used for the money was a Burris Black Diamond. It is a little spendy ($600+), but the closest scope with the same features and optics is the Leupold LPS which runs around $900+. I bought the burris black diamond after looking through a leupold VX-III.....not really a fair comparison since the VX-III has a 1" main tube and the burris has a 30mm main tube. I also like the burris "forever" warranty and it is american made. I know most other good scopes come with a lifetime warranty, but burris doesn't care if you are the original owner or not. There are very few bad scopes out there, but I would stay away from the cheap scopes...you will be buying a more expensive scope later. I do own a Nikon prostaff on my 17 hmr and it is pretty nice for the price ($130). It all comes down to how much you want to spend though.

Default Burris

If you are interested in the Burris scopes check out www.midsouthshooterssupply.com and www.bearbasin.com they are two places that consistently have the best prices on Burris scopes. Particularly midsouth shooter supply. Often beats Cabelas by $100 on the Black Diamond line. Good company. I have bought from them. Cabelas also carries all the Burris scopes.