Thread: Titegroup v. Blue Dot v. 500 S&W target loads

Default Titegroup v. Blue Dot v. 500 S&W target loads

A friend of mine loads 21.5 gr Blue Dot behind the same bullet that I'm shooting (335 gr Rainier Ballistics) in his 500 S&W. My lovely clean burning Trail Boss has run out so I'm using 11.1 gr of TiteGroup instead. The Titegroup is dirtier burning than the Trail Boss is with this load and I get black flash-back looking stains on the cases and the breech end of the barrel gets a lot dirtier ...it all cleans off OK, but clean is always nice.

Anybody have some feedback on the suitability of Blue Dot in the 500 S&W?

Cost-wise, there isn't much difference per target round:

Trail Boss, $97 for 5#, 12.6 gr/round, $0.035 per round, burns CLEAN
    TiteGroup, $152 for 8#, 11.1 gr/round, $0.03 per round, semi-dirty
    Blue Dot, $116 for 8#, 21.5 gr/round, $0.045 per round, don't know...

The Blue Dot is just a teaser ...I'll probably buy the 8# keg of Trail Boss next time around. I need to go shoot from a bench and try varying loads, but my first impression is that the TiteGroup rounds were not shooting as accurately as the Trail Boss loads ...but that's shooting freehand. Like I said, I need to get back to a bench and start experimenting with loads/powders.

Brian

I use Titegroup with a .45 LC and get the same flashback on the cases. It is caused by the case not expanding with low pressure loads and the flash burns back between the case and chamber wall a bit. It does this unless you really push the load to higher pressures. I mainly use it for a plinking/practice powder due to its low cost per round.

I have never used Trail Boss. Where do you usually buy it?

I used Blue Dot and a 335 cast bullet in my .500, and got very good accuracy and no flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpig67 View Post
    I use Titegroup with a .45 LC and get the same flashback on the cases. It is caused by the case not expanding with low pressure loads and the flash burns back between the case and chamber wall a bit. It does this unless you really push the load to higher pressures. I mainly use it for a plinking/practice powder due to its low cost per round.

I have never used Trail Boss. Where do you usually buy it?
    Sportsman's Warehouse (Fairbanks at least) has it. They used to just carry it in 1# cans which makes it too expensive, but now they have it in 5# kegs (same size as an 8# keg for any other powder type... the TB is loooow density.)

No flashback with the Trail Boss occurs, and the breach end of the barrel (area) is cleaner as well... it's probably the cleanest burning powder that I've ever seen ...that and Hodgdon Clays in my shotgun ...also a very clean powder.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
    I used Blue Dot and a 335 cast bullet in my .500, and got very good accuracy and no flashback.
    That's good to know. I think I'd be willing to buy whatever I could get the cheapest ...Blue Dot, TiteGroup, or TrailBoss. I do notice that the recoil from the TiteGroup is a little snappier. I'm going to take a pause from the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program for Handgun that I'm going through and see if I can work on some accuracy loads. I know that when I sighted in the gun that it still shoots about 1/2" high and about 3/4" to the right ...may as well tune that in as well.

What about Bullseye or Unique? Ok for light loads as well?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
    That's good to know. I think I'd be willing to buy whatever I could get the cheapest ...Blue Dot, TiteGroup, or TrailBoss. I do notice that the recoil from the TiteGroup is a little snappier. I'm going to take a pause from the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program for Handgun that I'm going through and see if I can work on some accuracy loads. I know that when I sighted in the gun that it still shoots about 1/2" high and about 3/4" to the right ...may as well tune that in as well.

What about Bullseye or Unique? Ok for light loads as well?

Brian

I use blue dot for my practice loads. Ranger Rick's 420 gr bullet w/20 gr blue dot. You may already know this, but you can get load data from Ranger Rick if you ask for it in your next order. Accuracy seems good and that's a fairly light recoiling round. I think the data said it was about 1200 fps out of an 8 inch 500. Mine is a 4" My wife shoots it on occasion.

I might buy trail boss next time when this 1lb can of blue dot is gone.