Thread: Salmon on pink worm

Default Salmon on pink worm

I notice in the few pictures posted on the 2008 pictures thread above, pick color plastic worm are used for salmon. I thought that is large mouth bass stuff. I guess pink worm work on salmon as well. Interesting!

Thi

I've caught plenty of steelhead and cohos on pink worms.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Thi View Post
    I notice in the few pictures posted on the 2008 pictures thread above, pick color plastic worm are used for salmon. I thought that is large mouth bass stuff. I guess pink worm work on salmon as well. Interesting!

Thi
    steelhead not salmon

Are all the fish pictures posted by Tynmon steelhead? I am just a novice in this cold water fish stuff. How can you tell the different between salmon and steelhead? I thought the steelhead has similar color to a rainbow trout. I recognized one of the fish the lady holding up is similar color to a rainbow while the other one is silvery like a salmon. So how can I tell which one is which?

Thank you for the info,
    Thi

Yes they're all steelhead, the longer they are in the river the darker they get. Those are mostly fresh fish. Steelhead are migratory raninbow trout.

steelhead have all white mouths and spots on both lobes of the tail, fresh fish have very few spots
    when fresh they look like this

They are often confused with chinook (king) and coho (silver) salmon kings have irregular blotchy looking spots black mouths and spots on both lobes of the tail, silvers have grey mouths very few fine spots and spots only on the upper lobe of the tail.

At any rate bass gear works really good for salmon, just be careful because if the soft plastic releases a scent (gulf, exude etc.) its considered bait and is illegal in many salmon waters
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AK,

thank for the info. I sent you a pm about your website.

Thi

Thumbs up

I am going fish pink & orange worms under a bobber for Kings this season, and see how effective they are. Who knows they may work really good?

You think on on the pink twister tail plastic worm would work? New possibility, huh?

Thi

Definately for pinks and cohos (I've caught 'em), not sure about kings, chums and reds though.

I'd say rabbit > plastic worms rabbit WORKS
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.