Thread: Wolf Fishing-

Default Wolf Fishing-

This is Brooks Falls just upstream from where the Brooks River flows into Naknek Lake in the Katami National Monument, Alaska. Have you ever seen a Wolf fish for salmon?

I did see a video of a wolf fishing amongst the bears, but there is no link with your post.

Default Jim-

It's just a copy and pate from an email, if the pic works I could post a few more.

I don't see a picture either.

Default one more time

one more as an attachment?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default another

I have six in my email if anyone wants a set I'll forward..from alaskamonte@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, now I see it. And I do remember seeing this before. I was thinking it had been a video of it, but that's just how my memory works.

That bear's hide sure looks rubbed raw.

It's quite amazing that the bears tolerated the wolf being there at all, but I guess there was enough food for all and they couldn't be bothered by this poacher. I have also seen pictures of polar bears putting up with grizzles on a beached whale. A half dozen polar bears were all just laying on the beach with their bellies in the air, while a couple grizzlies were chowing down during break time. When there's too much food to fight over there's no problems.

Default Oh Great Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Yep, now I see it. And I do remember seeing this before. I was thinking it had been a video of it, but that's just how my memory works.

That bear's hide sure looks rubbed raw.

It's quite amazing that the bears tolerated the wolf being there at all, but I guess there was enough food for all and they couldn't be bothered by this poacher. I have also seen pictures of polar bears putting up with grizzles on a beached whale. A half dozen polar bears were all just laying on the beach with their bellies in the air, while a couple grizzlies were chowing down during break time. When there's too much food to fight over there's no problems.
    Only 90,000 pics more to find that one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I have also seen pictures of polar bears putting up with grizzles on a beached whale. A half dozen polar bears were all just laying on the beach with their bellies in the air, while a couple grizzlies were chowing down during break time.
    That actually works the other way around though. If one little ol' tundra grizzly comes wandering up to a beached whale where half a dozen huge polar bears are feeding... the little grizz just lets out with a couple of "whoof" noises, and every single polar bear moves out of range!

That's been observed several times at Kaktovik, where both types of bears visit the remains of bowhead whales taken in the fall by local hunters.

"That actually works the other way around though..." Yeah, and that's the way my memory works too.

Somewhere in some of my pics from McNeil I have a few shots of a coyote down with the bears. The guides said they had never seen this before. To see a wolf with the bears, wow....
    EricL