Thread: Bait barrel openings?

Default Bait barrel openings?

I've done a search on here and the net and found nothing about what people recommend for holes in a bait barrel. I have a 55 g. metal drum with a removal top. I was suppose to bait last year but my hunting buddy got sent to Iraq short notice. So I got my barrel last year but didn't get it cut or get to try baiting at all. We took the bait class last year also.

1. Where should I put the hole/holes for the bear to get the bait?

2. How many should I put in the barrel to keep them interested but not stealing all my bait?

3. Should I have the barrel sitting up or on it's side?

I know I'm going to have the barrel chained to a tree but I haven't cut any holes yet because I was wondering what is common practice for the those of you that have been doing this year after year. Pictures or references would be outstanding, but any help and all help is needed.

This will be my first year so it is going to be a learning experience first and formost. Hopefully I'll be able to see some bear action and maybe get a chance at hanging a rug on the wall.

We'll see, any help or hints will be greatly appriciated!

JB

We always laid the barrel on it's side and cut a hole on on what would be the bottom of the barrel. Make the hole big enough for him to get his paws inside and drag a little food out but not any bigger. You'll go through a ton of dog food if you make the hole to big and they may not come around as much once they have eaten it all up. Give them a reason to want to come back. I also recommend a grease pad in front of the barrel for him to step in while he's eating.

This is my favorite set up though I have done it multiplie ways. You just shove larg elogs in the holes to let you know that a bear has been there and the porcupines and such cant get in and eat your bait. No matter how you do it, just dont make the hole too big, make it so a big bear can get his paw in there and pull some food out. I also pour grease and syrup on the logs that are in the hole to ensure they get it all over their legs for when they leave so that they lay good scent trail through the woods. The hole in this barrel is actually a little too big but it worked. Oh and this little guy isn't dead!...grin

Cub,
    That is a great idea. I will be doing that for sure!!

Default bear baiting

I have a slighlty smaller barrel that I used for baiting, it is onlly artound 35 gallon. I hang it in a tree with cables at about the six foot mark with the hole cut in the side at the bottom. I stick a piece of black foam in the hole that is covered with syrup then stand logs up all around the tree. By hanging the barrel I can get a good ideal on how big the bear is. I also put grease and syrup all over the logs so they can track it through the woods. It has worked great for me the last few years. Also when a sow with cubs comes to the bait the cubs cannot reach it so they have to climb the tree which in turn makes great photo ops.

When you cut the hole bend the sharp edges inside so that the bear doesn't loose any extra hair. A buddy of mine cut his holes big enough for bears to get there head into but didn't bend the edges back, by the end of the season ever bear that had been there had a bare spot on the back of there necks. Just something to think about.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

I just took the Bear baiting class last night and the hole size reccommended was no smaller than 4 inches diameter no bigger than 7 inches. The teacher did make a comment about 7 inches being big. I think I am going to go with a 5 1/2 inch hole more towards the bottom of the side and strap it low on a tree. I am brand new to this also but after the season I will post about the setup and how it worked. Good luck

I use a drum witha removable lid, I cut a hole the size of a soda can or a little bigger in another lid. That way I can transport my drum without getting food everywhere. Once at the bait site I swap out the lid. I carry a 5 gal bucket in with me each time. It is much easier to refill the drum be taking off the lid than it is trying to pour it in the small hole. I too use the stick, limb method. Moose and other critters sure can eat your food faster than you would think. Almost that time...

Steve

Default akraven

Do you have any pictures of your set up that you can post for us to see. I understand what you are doing put a picture is worth a 1000 words, thanks.

I made the hole a bit too big and all dined...

Donno if it's been said, but drill two small holes in a corner and chain through it and around a tree.
    Keeps your barrel at your stand. I positioned my drum for a good broadside bow shot and it worked. The bears batted it once in awhile but usually it stayed put.

By the way, notice the duct-taped sleeves/gloves--yes the bugs are that bad in the spring bear woods.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-25-2008 at 00:08.

Thumbs up All great Ideas

I have heard some great ideas here that all seem to be successful. I also know exactly what keelermk is talking about with the "bald spot" on the head of the bear. My partner and I learned that lesson my first year baiting. I take a slightly different approach now to the barrell. I have the top of mine cut half open and the edges folded back. It does make it easier for the bears to get to the food, but it also protects the fur on their paws and heads. I make trips to my stand "frequentlly" to say the least, and I bring a 50lb bag of food out every time. In the beginning of the season I will have as much as 350lbs of food on the stand, but once the bears start coming, that can be gone in a week. I also use the log crib method to keep the smaller varmits out of the food. I believe in keeping them fed instead of keeping them curious and this combination along with a few other secrets has proved to be very successful for my partner and I.

Sorry for rambling, I guess what I'm trying to say is a larger hole with a consistant food supply has been our key to having multiple bears on the stand and flawless hides on the wall. Hope it helps.

Shannon

I see some good setups that you guys are using. I have hunted bears over bait and one unique idea that was used in Canada was the use of oats. Not sure how available or the price but oats in a 55 gal barrel worked great. The barrel is secured with a chain, they used a single chain through the middle of the bottom. Then they cut a small hole, about an inch and a half, in the side of the barrel and fill with oats. The bears roll the barrel and get some oats to dribble out and eat. The chain allows the barrel to roll. Just another idea since you can use barrels and any type of bait. Good hunting.