Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dalton Highway Caribou

Default Dalton Highway Caribou

I'm trying to find out approximately where the caribou herds are on the Dalton Highway right now so if anybody has been up there lately or might have any information on where they might be around I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Default haul road bou

I know nothing about the position of the caribou on the haul road as of now, but I would suggest trying to talk to someone in the fish and game office in the fairbanks area. I would be supprised if you couldnt get any information there. -caleb

I was there last weedend and did not see any on the drive except for one by himself standing in th emiddle of the road near pump station 3. There were lots about 40 mile to the west of Happy Valley though.

A neighbor of mine said he just got back from up there as he works for DOT at the Slope Mountain camp. He said that a huge herd just moved into the area the past few days. He said that it had been warm up there and that the animals were right up against his equipment trying to get away from the bugs which were terrible in the weather of 79 degrees.

Default Haul Road

I just got back from a successfull hunt 22-27 July on the Haul Road. We were there 6 days driving 100+ miles 1 way a day and all we saw were single bulls. Now a buddy of mine said the past couple of days there were Caribou herds. Not sure where but tags were filled. Good luck to you.

Guys there aint nothing worse than hunting bou on the North Slope when its 70+ degrees. You will need counseling to get over the phobias from the bugs harassing you at the most extreme levels imaginable. You can actually watch the Caribou lose their minds when the temps are this warm up there.UUGGhh!

Default Success

My neighbor went up Sunday and was home on Wednesday. The three of them all bagged a bou just north of Galbraith lake. They saw big herds and didn't even go north of PS 3.

Just curiosity, hoping to one day do this hunt, what is the drive from Anchorage to the "rough average" of where caribou are "typically"? I know, hard to say, but to further specify, on average what is the drive from where you start A) to anchorage and B) to caribou?

Utarded - I'm sure it varies, but my buddies and I left Eagle River last fall at about 6am and were just north of Atigun Pass by 10 or 11pm. We made a few short stops on the way, and didn't end up seeing caribou until the next morning, about 40 miles further up the road.

-Brian

Default Anchorage to Galbraith Lake 14-16 hours

Depends on traffic and construction delays but with a clear road under good conditions (damp but not wet) and if you're motivated, it can be done in 13-14 hours if you stop only for gas.

Here's a pic of the herd that passed just south of PS-3 last week. BTW I did not take this pic, it was in my inbox when I arrived at work today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man that pic gets my blood going!!!! Oh I wana go up there so bad.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default north slope

Just came in from going over the truck. We are leaving on Sep 3rd for the slope. Utarded, I have it figured at 385 miles from Anchorage to Fairbanks, 260 from Fairbanks to Coldfoot, and 240 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse. Not that most go clear to the end but you can get into a lengthy drive. We are gonna split up the drive by staying in Fairbanks and Coldfoot. Last time it was a "hurry up and get there". Not this time. Seeing that picture sure gets me excited!! EricL

awesome !! lets go!!!

I've left here after work at 8pm and was up at Coldfoot 5 hours later,drove to the Dietrich,slept three hours and drove all the way to Deadhorse,saw 54 Muskox and no caribou,fueled up turned around and by the time I hit Toolik I seen just as many if not more Muskox and ran into one lone bull that I got a shot off,gave up and drove 5 miles before seeing another lone bull,which we played hide and seek from for two hours.

Went to Atigun River slept 5 hours and headed back to Fairbanks and was back in town by 2 pm......now thats a power run,but it's doable by yourself,and I almost tagged out,this was last August,next time I wont go alone,so who wants to go? Daniel

Default Caribou Location?

Has anyone heard any reports of where they are at. I was planning on going up there the 17th and was wondering how far north we need to go.

Default Caribou

I just got back. Drove to 10 miles past Toolik on Friday night. Saw some around Toolik at night and a few hunters. I hunted 6 hours on Sat. and took a nice bull. Probably saw 1,500 - 2,000 caribou and some awesome bulls. Lot more caribou on Sunday all 20 miles north of Toolik. Then they started to thin out and it was had to find a group of more than ten. Still some around though. Drove back on Tues. and hardly saw a thing.

Nice herd of Muskox near Sag DOT on the east side of the highway. Road was being graded in several spots. Worst area was just over the pass. Lots of rain and muddy conditions. Bugs were not bad at all as Alaskan bugs go.

Great trip!

Please use "D" or "E" rated tires. Spotted one vehicle driver that had to hitch hike with a spare tire to Coldfoot for repairs. Fuel in Coldfoot was $3.59.

Default Fuel...

Dave...how about a pic? Congrats on the bull.

As of this afternoon it looks like unleaded fuel in Coldfoot is $3.69.

Default 4x4 or 2x4

Would a 2 wheel drive truck be good enough to drive up that far or would you guys recommend 4 wheel drive.

Default If

If you watch yourself turning around in tight places and watch the shoulders when pulling off on the edge you will be fine with a 2 wheel.

Default Dalton Hwy Caribou...

Just did the Dalton run to Deadhorse last week. Left Anchorage at 6:30 am and we were camping north of Coldfoot by 8pm. The road was fantastic (about a third of it is paved) and we were averaging about 45mph in my honda civic. We didn't run into a single bad section of road the whole way, although you do have to keep an eye out for potholes. I've driven many roads here in Anchorage that are in much, much worse condition.

All of the caribou we saw were on the north side of the pass, as others have said. No big herds, but strung along about a 20 mile section of the pipeline. We didn't see any that ventured far from the pipeline. From what I could tell, the bowhunters were stalking to the pipeline (about 100 yards from the hwy) and using that to sneak up for a shot. Saw 3 or 4 very nice bulls (still in velvet) being loaded onto trucks.

And hardly any bugs at all. One application of 5% deet kept everything off of us the entire evening in camp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast