Thread: Kasilof King Regs 2008?

Default Kasilof King Regs 2008?

Can someone explain the regs for kings this year. Is it open for two hatchery fish a day until june 1? Can you still catch and release after harvesting your fish for the day? And what days are legal for hatchery or native fish? Thanks, I can never keep things straight with this river.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    Can someone explain the regs for kings this year. Is it open for two hatchery fish a day until june 1? Can you still catch and release after harvesting your fish for the day? And what days are legal for hatchery or native fish? Thanks, I can never keep things straight with this river.
    I dont know about continuing to fish catch and release, I think not. It is 2 hatchery kings a day untill june 1 and you can keep 1 native fish on tuesday, thursday, and saturday. But dont take my word for it the new book will be out in 2-3 weeks.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default New Regs

While the new regulations have not been published yet, and are not expected until the middle of April, ADF&G has posted this on their website under Emergency Orders/News:

King salmon

• From January 1 through June 30, naturally-produced/wild king salmon may be retained on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only.

• From January 1 through June 30 the bag limit for hatchery king salmon 20 inches or longer is 2 per day/2 in possession.

• From the Sterling Highway Bridge upstream to Tustumena Lake; fishing from a boat is prohibited from August 1 through August 15.

I have to assume that you can continue to fish after retaining your kings for the day, like last year, because they did not make any mention of a change of that rule (I am not the authority however).

Hope that helps, certainly prudence would dictate that you closely study the printed regulation summary when it is published to make sure that you understand the changes.

Good luck

The bag limit is two per day, of which only one can be wild and you can retain wild fish only on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. (This doesn't mean you can keep two hatchery and one wild on Tue/Thur/Sat)
    Yes, you can continue to fish after retaining your bag limit.

Can you get 5 per year from the Kasilof?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default YES

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Can you get 5 per year from the Kasilof?
    Yes you can, but that will fill your limit for Cook Inlet waters... i.e. you cannot keep any from the Kenai, Ninilchik, Deep Creek (including salt) or Valley rivers/streams... 5 out of Kasilof and that's it for the year.

This is from the 2007 regulation supplement... the annual limit did not change at the BOF meeting this year.

KING SALMON
    Annual/Seasonal Limits
    A total annual limit of 5 king salmon 20” or longer may be
    taken from fresh waters of Cook Inlet north of the latitude
    of Point Adam, and from Cook inlet salt waters—except
    that fi sh harvested in Cook Inlet salt waters south of Bluff
    Point from Oct.1 to March 31 are not included in the limit
    (see map on page 12).
    Of these 5 total king salmon:
    • no more than 2 may be taken from the Kenai River,
    • no more than 2 may be taken from Deep Creek and
    Anchor River combined.
    There are no king salmon annual or seasonal limits in effect
    for North Gulf Coast or Prince William Sound salt waters.
    If you intend to release a king salmon 20” or longer, you may
    not remove it from the water. A king salmon 20” or longer
    removed from the water must be retained, and becomes a
    part of the bag limit of the person originally hooking it.

Thats cool.

Wasn't the annual Kasilof limit just two a couple years back?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".