Thread: bad hare day

Default bad hare day

Has anyone got in to bad rabbit meat? This is the second time it has happened to me. I pull the crock pot out and cook the rabbit in some chicken broth to make a soup and the soup getts a funk smell to it. I always freaze the meat for a weak to kill any bugs that might be there. and I was told to soke the meat in salt water overnight before eating never tried it has anyone heard of doing that . or could it be just what the rabbit was eating. got these rabbits around palmer. clean shot with my 22lr.

Id vote on just funky rabbit meat. They arent much good this time of year. Did you cook the meat with bones in?

Meat quality is directly related to how it is treated. When do you clean your rabbits(hare)? How quickly was the meat cooled. Also, when you say funky is it a gamey or rotten funky. Quite often hormones will make meat stronger and more gamey smelling and tasting. Rutting bull caribou is an extreme example.
    Pete

Default Bad time of the year

The old timers told me that it is best to not hunt March hares (ever heard the expression crazier than a March hare? March madness?). Additionally this is the time of year you can pick up tularemia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia infection from handling the hares.

You can get tularemia at any time of the year. Its mother natures way of saying there are to many rabbits in the area. They start stepping, sleeping, eating around all the poop and whamoo... you now have rabbits with tularemia. I have yet to kill or seen a rabbit with tularemia. And boy oh boy do i get a bunch of bunnies each year. Did you hunt your rabbits in spruce this time of year? They start eating the spruce bark and needels which make their meat taste bad.

Default True, but more prevalent in the spring

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    You can get tularemia at any time of the year. Its mother natures way of saying there are to many rabbits in the area. They start stepping, sleeping, eating around all the poop and whamoo... you now have rabbits with tularemia. I have yet to kill or seen a rabbit with tularemia. And boy oh boy do i get a bunch of bunnies each year. Did you hunt your rabbits in spruce this time of year? They start eating the spruce bark and needels which make their meat taste bad.
    Maybe because their poop clutters the trails when the snow melts. Whenever there is a peak in population there will be more chance of it developing.

http:///www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-27293--,00.html

I have caught bunnies in the spring with this infection when I used to feed my dog team with them many years ago. I got so I used rubber gloves just in case. Cooking kills the contagion. don't know if it affects the taste of the meat, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

bullshop junior

I shot two in a row last year what when skinned them(right after I shot them) the meat was green, and it had kind of like boils on the meat. I shot the two rabbits with in 25 yards of each other.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.