Thread: Help for "Newbie" Alaska Fishermen

Question Help for "Newbie" Alaska Fishermen

Greetings,
    Hey, all of you seasoned Alaska fishermen - what is the number one advice that you would give to someone planning a fishing trip to Alaska?

Wink advice

Not sure how to answer your question. Try this.... grab a cup of coffee/tea and warm your fingers and read every article on this forum that peaks your interest. Then do a search on this board as you focus your interests to look at the older articles.

Then find other forums and do the same thing. You will find many questions and answers that will apply directly to your interests and desires. These questions and answers are made from and to folks who love fish and the sport of fishing.

So, do your homework, spend time researching, ask specific questions (don't be shy or afraid of what folks will think of you, just be honest and transparent and you will be flooded with replies that will help you way more than you expect).

Hope that helps... good luck.

Default alaska fishing

You might try to narrow down what kind of fishing you are interested in doing up here in this fine state.

Do your homework in advance, then be flexible and have a back-up plan!

If the fish aren't there in decent numbers, then be prepared to move on to another place that offers better opportunities.

Default don't get King fever

It seems most people are obsessed with catching kings. While they are superb fighters and great fun, usually the bag limit is 1 fish/day. Not to mention unless fresh in the salt they usually rate below reds and silvers as far as table fare goes. I take a lot of relativies fishing and I always recommend a trip up during silver season. Depending where you fish you generally can keep more than 1 and up to 6 fish a day in some places. Great way to fill a cooler and tire an arm!

I would book a halibut fishing trip out of Homer. I would not book with a mass-production outfit, but rather a captain who carries 6 people on his boat. I would rent a suburban and sleep out of that for free, and pay for showers. I would also arrive here in June, when the kings are running. I would bring a medium-heavy baitcaster rod and reel with some superbraid line, or buy one when you're here (maybe a 2-piece rod). I would have some slip weights, barrel swivels, 4/0 hooks and orange yarn. Then I would go to the Kasilof and try to hook some kings. I would also book a Kenai king fishing trip with a guide. I would have binoculars and camera too. And, I would drink alot of Alaskan Amber beer.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Figure out exactly what you want to achieve in your trip. Are you after very large fish? Are you after remote locations? Do you want to bring back 100's of pounds of fish? Do you want to see alot of the state, or spend all the time in one spot?

I'd also say have a realistic budget and don't be afraid to spend a little bit more for a top rated guide, or flying out to a remote location. If all you can afford is to spend some time on the Kenai or Parks hwy streams elbow to elbow with others, that's great, but if you can swing getting away from that scene, IMHO you'll have a much better experience.

To me the experience of being out in the wilds of Alaska, away from people, is more important than catching a 70# king salmon or a 300# halibut.

Most of all do alot of research and try to plan as much out as possible. If you want to bring back fish, how are you going to do that? Are you going to pay to process it?

1)One key bit of advice to the noob is the mantra of the vet...

"Timing is everything in Alaska."

Every species has peak times. Beat this into your head and plan accordingly.

2)Second, pick up a copy of Alaska Fishing by limeres and pederson. It's the stand alone bible / guide book for AK fishing.

And as stated before...study,study,study then plan,plan,plan.

3) Spend the extra money to get the hell off the Alaska road system fisheries.

Default Get a guide

I just moved up here this past Nov from North Carolina and the fishing up here is truly spectacular. It is also a very different kind of fishing from most parts of the lower 48. I would definately advise you to get a few charter trips during a weeklong stay/camping trip. Even better, stay in a lodge for the week and go out fishing everyday. Budget being the determining factor. i recently saw a list of questions in a Traveling Angler Guide. It is a publication that appears to come out once a year by Salmon and Steelhead Journal (popular fly fishing magazine). As mentioned by someone earlier, timing is everything. Talk with the guide/lodge about this. You should give some thought to what species you want to target. I would think a Rainbow trip would be awesome. But this is very subjective of course. Kings, Silvers, Rainbows, Halibut, and others. So many choices and all have there own special allure. You could pick up some fishing and fly fishing mags and get some ideas of lodges and charter services. They are all over the state and certain parts of the state are know for particular species over other parts. Obviously, the Kenai penninsula for Kings. Seward is a hot spot for silvers in August from what I hear. Homer and Seward for Halibut.Bristol Bay for rainbows I hear alot about. There is great fishing all over it just depends on what you want to catch. To the point, here are some questions that would be good to ask the lodge/guide when planning a trip.

1. How many fish can I expect to catch?

2. Describe a typical day at your lodge.

3. How many people will be on the boat?

4. Are meals included in the price?

5. Is the floatplane ride to the lodge included in the price?

6. What kind of boats do you use?

7. How much will you charge me to process/ship my fish home?

8. Is it a hotel or a true lodge?

9. What kind of equipment do you fish with and do I need to bring anything?

10. What does all inclusive mean. Lodging, meals, fishing, etc..

11. How much are the license and tag fees or are they included in the price?

These are some basic questions I admit, but they will give you a starting point when picking out a guide/lodge. I think this is the best way to go if you have never been here before. And as forementioned, timing is everything. Most people know this so peak time fill up quickly and if you dont book very, very, early, you may find yourself being here just before or just after the biggest runs/best times. A trip up here should be planned well in advance. Good luck and I hope all this works out for you. If you come once, you will come again, and again. This place seems to have that affect on people. Particularly anglers!