Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Louise

Default Lake Louise

Does anyone know how to fish for big lake trout in the summer on this lake. Dont want your hot spot just a starting spot and a how to thanks Chris

I have had relative sucess fishing deep in the summer with downrigger and a fishfinder using rather typical trout gear. One of the days that we did try sort of hard, we did hook up with a couple of nice 5-8 pounders. Best of all, there were really good eating and the weather was perfect

Chris,
    What is your definition of big? I am sure that there are some real lunkers out there. The people that fish Lake Louise are tighter lipped than the fish. Around Memorial Day when the ice goes out, the fish are shallow and keep getting deeper until late fall. I have not used down riggers yet. We have not had to fish over 60 feet deep yet. Most fish that we have caught were in 15-35 feet of water.

I release ALL lakers that will revive. Only lost one EVER. Some will do a "death roll" at the surface and wind up in the line (like a pike). Keep tight tension and pole tip high to prevent damage to the fish. Be ready for pictures, measurements and get them back in the water ASAP.

Remember to respect the area and the people out there. If you fish it enough you will understand why I say this.

Check PM,
    Mike

Thanks guys what I mean by big is anything over let just say 8 pounds Im tired of the people at the deshka during kings season so Im going to concentrate on pike and lakers during the kings season and then fish for silvers when there almost nobody on the river.

Wink

8 pounds is just over legal size. I thought you said big

Listen to Mike, he's getting it figured out! I fish 15-35' water all summer long with ice out being the best time. Fish along the edges of drop offs and pinicles and do as Mike says and release when ever possible!!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Holy crap! That day, my man, must be one hell of a fishing story.

Caught three that day all about the same size trolling over the same very small drop off. This one here actually spun and pulled my boat a few diferent times durring the run!

Mike- the hole is located very near your property!!

Steve - I may not get my cabin done, but I am gonna try to beat that fish! By the way - He is sliming your shoes!

I have the lawyer finishing up the paperwork so I can take posession of the lot and start hauling materials.

Anyone have a better line than 17 pound Trilene for lakers? I would like the same or near the same diameter but stronger.

Mike

PS don't hold trout like this if you intend to release them... Nice Fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Hold em' like this.
    This trout was caught by one of my room mates guests during the 2006 season.

Default holy crap

Is that a 35-40 lb laker?
    nice fish in both pics.
    both from lake louise?
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Adventures View Post
    Is that a 35-40 lb laker?
    nice fish in both pics.
    both from lake louise?

Mine's a Canadian fish 61#, caught in Great Bear Lake NWT.

I believe trailblazer's is a Louise fish, lookst to be between in 28-32# range.

What other fish can you catch in Lake Louise?

Grayling...

Burbot - Only saw one, but it was big. Followed the lure to the boat and turned.

Supposedly whitefish too. I have not seen one yet.

Rumor has it that there were 2 pike caught in there. I have not seen one or actually witnessed anyone catching one. I know many lakes in Canada support both lakers and pike. If I catch a pike out of Louise/Susitna/Tyone it won't be part of the problem.

Will be out there this weekend hauling material and doing a little fishing. Give me a call if your out that way Mike.

Oh- and there an't nothing wrong with the 17#Tri, an't nothing broke it yet!!

Used to be a lot of whitefish in there. I would see scholls of a couple hundred fish at a time. If I was fast enough and threw a small jig on I could catch one out of the school. They would be around 16". I only ever caught two of them.

Here is a little story:

I was at Lake Louise Trolling like crazy for two days. I caught 8 lakers including the 4 pounder above. Mostly using a lot of the lures you had mentioned. Stuff I use for rainbows now. 2-4 inch plugs and 1/4 ounce crocs, swedish pimples and such.
    My dad and his friend mostly told stories and drank beer. On the third day we were leaving and breaking camp and my dad and his friend decided they would give fishing a try. My dad took a look through my tackle box and grabbed a couple of my salmon lures. Wiggle warts and a 1/4 tadpolly.
    My dad and his friend head out in the boat and after a half hour they come back. I am thinking they are lazy bums but my dad asks in an urgent voice if I have another one of those "tadpole lures". I laughed and gave him my last one, a 1/2 ounce tadpolly.
    About an hour later they come back and say they are ready to leave cause they caught their fish. One laker 16 pounds.
    The first tadpolly had hooked a much larger laker and was lost at the boat on 4# test (dads trout rod). The second tadpolly caught the 16 pounder on 17 pound line (dads king pole).

This was 4th of July weekend at the Northwest end of the lake . The 16# fish was caught dragging an unweighted lure 100' behind the boat over open water.

I caught all the little ones fishing near shoreline over 20-40 feet of water all unweighted lures less than 20' deep.
    --
    one of my friends caught his largest laker on a 16 kwikfish (ice out lake louise).

Ice out is a good time for big fish I hear. #5 FST metalic and pastels.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Will be out there this weekend hauling material and doing a little fishing. Give me a call if your out that way Mike.

Oh- and there an't nothing wrong with the 17#Tri, an't nothing broke it yet!!
    I am supposed to work but am thinking about trying to get out of it. I need to go make some lot measurements for my land use permit. I only have one snowmachine and it is a bit untried.

I have a new ice rod that needs broken in too. Any idea if the snow is shallow enough to run wheelers on the ice yet? I don't want to make a mess out of it.

I am still waiting on the exact location of that "small drop off".... I am not sure if it is the same one that I know of. Sometime this year we need to hop in my boat and cruise around a bit.

Mike

Very little snow. I think you would be ok with the wheelers real early in the am but by noon the trail is soft. We will have plenty of machines and I guess put our beers down for a little while and give you a hand if needed. You know where I will be...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast