Thread: Ruger Bearcat

Default Ruger Bearcat

Has any one here had any experience with these? I'm looking for a small revolver and it will be a Bearcat or S&W 317. Thanks in advance
    Pete

Default bearcat

I've got one of the new models. Absolutely love it. They don't all shoot to point of aim out of the box, but there are ways around that.

The smith would be quicker to reload (if that is a concern) but I'm a big SA fan, and had to go with the Bearcat.

Nate

Default Ruger Bearcat vs. S&W

I've got an old orginal model Bearcat I bought many years ago for the wife and later let my daughter shoot it. It was new in the box when I got it but I think at the time it had been discountinued for a year or so. This would have been the mid '70s period. The model was of course re-introduced years later.

It is a neat little gun esp. for women with smaller hands but the accuracy is poor- probably the worse of any handgun I've owned. It is probably a abnormality; if it wasn't so old I'd send it back to Ruger and see if they could fix it. Now it's probably worth more as a collectors piece since it is in excellent condition in the orginal box.

I've had several of the S&W Kit guns in varing barrel lengths and they much more functional guns - better sights and overall better workmanship and attention to detail that is inherent with S&W.

If you can afford it buy an older model S&W Kit Gun or even a new one.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I bought one years ago for the wife to shoot and slicked up the action and gave it a trigger job my self (not that hard to do) and it is a good little shooter. Plenty accurate enough for spruce chickens, pop cans and paper plates. I must agree that it does not always shoot to point of aim, but with some experimentation, you can find a weight and brand of ammo that does. I pretty much just shoot whatever we have out of it, and its plenty good enough for me. The only thing that I really donít like about it, is re-loading the darn thing. Six shots just goes to fast and then your fumbling around poking each little case out of the cylinder and sticking six more in! I have shot CB caps thru it in the garage and into a cardboard box filled with magazinesÖÖÖÖÖ thatís kind of fun for a rainy day! Not really something you can do with a semi-auto.
    ďYouíve gotten soft. Youíre like one of those police dogs whoís released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.Ē Bill McNeal of News Radio

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I vote for the BearCat, because I already have one that I got a long time ago before I was married. I gave it to my wife because she has a small hand, and I thought it was perfect for her. She carried it, but didnít shoot it much. Recently, I got her a 38, and have reclaimed the BearCat.

Iíve been practicing with it the last few days, and this is what Iíve discovered. It shoots a bit high. (That explains why I kept missing the Ptarmigan using it, a couple of years ago.)

I have to use a low sight with the ammo that Iím using now. (The top of the front sight lower than the top of the rear sight.)

The sights are small and hard to see sometimes. (I put a dab of Yellow paint on the front post.)

Also, the trigger is not so great. (I probably could improve that, just as I did with my Single Six.)

The Trigger Guard is small. (I can live with that.)

I prefer SA, Cowboy Type, revolvers. (I have a couple of DA revolvers, but I tend to shoot them SA.)

My BearCat is the old type, so I marked one chamber on both sides with nail polish, and thatís the one I kept empty when my wife carried it. The marking makes it easy to line up the empty chamber.

I can load and eject the empties fast enough with the Old models. Itís the New models that aggravate me because the cylinder is free wheeling. (Doesnít have a positive stop, when Iím doing it.)

I donít doubt that the S&W Kit Gun would be more accurate, but there are reasons why I prefer the BearCat, for a small easily carried field gun. You might want to consider how long the barrel is too, and the length for the BearCat is about right, I think.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Bearcats...

I too picked one up several years ago for the wife. The thing's too stinkin' small for even her hands. On the bags, the thing is surprisingly accurate, just hard to shoot. REALLY hard to shoot if you have fingers the size of Ball Park Franks...
    The wife doesn't want to get rid of it because it was a gift, but I've been willing to trade it off at the first mention that she wants to replace it!!!
    I picked up a 63 S&W, and later a 422 and a Single Six, any of which she and I both shoot much more comfortably and accurately.
    Cute guns. A lot of fun, but there's other stuff out there for the same or less money that are more effective.
    If the wife insists on hanging onto it, I'm putting longer/thicker grips on the thing.
    Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it, and that ain't much!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I went to their website, but I couldn't find where Hogue made grips for the BearCat.

Too bad, that Idea has merit.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.