Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak-Grant Lagoon

Default Kodiak-Grant Lagoon

Anyone hunted the area before? Headed there this november and just looking for some good info on the area. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by akfisher1 View Post
    Anyone hunted the area before? Headed there this november and just looking for some good info on the area. Thanks!!
    You will not be dissapointed. Great place, can't wait to go back. Hunted there in 03', I know a little ways back. There is a old visqueen shack at the south east end with good shoreline for a camp but the wind will kill you! We camped (from the ocean heading into the lagoon) on the west side about halve way in. Nice bluff (about 25ft) to camp up against, pretty protected. From there you can access any where in that area. I would reccomend a small raft with small kicker, saves time if you want to hunt the other side of the lagoon. We hiked all the way around it and took 3 deer and 2 fox, would of been nice to just motor them across to camp. We did hang meat at that shack and had the plane motor over to pick up, but it is a ways away from were we camped sooooooo, bears may be a issue, however, we did not see any bears in that drainage or have any problems for the 13 days we were there. We did hike up the drainage and over the top to look down into sturgeon river valley to see some huge late hunting boars looking for fish scaps, but that is a long ways off. We hunted from November 9th-22nd. We were weathered in 1day trying to get out of the city and the plane was 2.5 days late picking us up due to weather that time of year so plan for that!

If you wish I could scan some pic's and post them of the area.

Good luck and have fun, great place to hunt!

Curt

Default Grant's

It's a great spot. We split up, son and I hunted the area to the east and and our buds went to the west.
    Theres a natural bluff divide that splits the terrain running up North to the ridgeline.
    It's typical Kodiak country with spruce, cottonwood, tag alder and alot of rain-rotted growth. Lean on something and it will break!
    The country gets high right from the beach there and depending on the time of year, the deer can be on the beach, up in the coulees and on the ridge tops. We took animals in all of those areas in November.
    The bears are plentiful around Grant's, hang meat accordingly. Bring a fox call if that interests you; those critters are thick--literally and figuratively. The cross fox on Kodiak are like no other!
    Mergansers are thick too, if you can stomach 'em, lol!

Oh yeah, bring a firestarter log to kick off your campfire. Dry wood can be scarce there.
    Bring quality flashlights; it gets dark early and it gets light late. Bring a zero * or better sleeping bag; it gets cold right there.
    Enjoy!

Heres a few pics for you of Grants Lagoon.

And last not but not least the highlight of the trip, this guy/gal charged in our direction from several hundred yards out within seconds after I shot a buck.He got to within about 60 yards when the wind just wouldn't cooperate for him. Cross hairs were on him though, I am not gonna lie! This picture was taken post pucker factor as he headed down towards the beach and our camp!

And not zoomed in

Default Bonehead award...

I posted for Brown's Lagoon down near Larsen Bay.
    Boy do I feel stupid!

Well, sorry bout that; maybe someone can use that report.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    I posted for Brown's Lagoon down near Larsen Bay.
    Boy do I feel stupid!

Well, sorry bout that; maybe someone can use that report.
    Frank
    LMAO, I was going to ask you were you saw the "spruce & cottonwood" tree's at? I hiked all around and only saw alder and srub.

Default Grant Lagoon

I hunted this lagoon the first two weeks of Oct. 2006. We camped out at the very far end of the lagoon about 150 yards from a salmon spawning stream. The deer hunting was phenomenal, and there is also a herd of caribou in that area that we saw but didn't hunt. We were there for a little over a week alone, then the company we flew in with put another camp down about 3/4 of a mile or so down the lagoon from us. There are a lot of bears in this area and we saw bears every day. Unfortunately on about day/night 9 we had two bears in our camp that took all our deer (5). The bears came back into our camp the next night and harassed us until about 3:00am almost completely destroying our camp, then went over to the other parties camp and took their deer (2). We had been trying to get out for several days prior to this, as our hunt was over, but the weather did not permit it. We ended up joining camps with the other group of hunters for what turned out to be our final night there and ended up killing 2 brown bears that night when they came into camp and would not leave. This is a great hunt and I would recommend it to anyone, but be prepared, you will see many bears and frequently have them come through camp.

Default Grant Lagoon pic's.....

Here are a few pics, these are taken from the opposite side of the lagoon from the ones that "AlaskaCub" posted. Pretty easy going stuff to hunt in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (441.1 KB, 70 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (440.2 KB, 49 views)

wish we could upload more then 2 at a time.
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (392.2 KB, 36 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (381.7 KB, 38 views)

2 more.............
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (383.2 KB, 33 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (449.8 KB, 66 views)

Default Grant Lagoon

I'd post pics, but being the computer idiot that I am, I can't figure out how to do it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I'd post pics, but being the computer idiot that I am, I can't figure out how to do it.
    Trout, I'll pop you a PM about uploading pics...

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    wish we could upload more then 2 at a time.
    You can post four full-size pics at a time if you use a photo-hosting site like photobucket.com. Also, now that you have attached these pics in this thread, you can't post them again in another thread. That's not an issue with photobucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You can post four full-size pics at a time if you use a photo-hosting site like photobucket.com. Also, now that you have attached these pics in this thread, you can't post them again in another thread. That's not an issue with photobucket.
    AHHHHH, Thank you grasshopper! ...... I will get a photobucket going soon.

Here goes some pics...hopefully

Another couple pics.

And some more pics.

I remember reading your story Troutburn and dont think it wasn't on my mind when I had a brownie do the dinner bell thing to me, didn't know we were in the same place. That pic of the herd on the beach is awesome!

Ya, and actually the herd that we took the pic of was the second and much smaller herd that had been through there that day. If you notice in that pic all the tracks in the foreground were made from the bigger herd that had just moved through about an hour or so earlier, right after high tide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast