Thread: scent lures for bears

Default scent lures for bears

I did some looking around and found these couple of statements to the use of scents for bear hunting.

Page 27 of the hunting regs has this; "you may also use scent lures with a baiting permit".

Now since you can only get a bait permit in conjunction with a registered bait station, scent lures are only allowed during baiting season at a registered bait station.

This is also how the Palmer fish and game explained it.

--

With a predator control permit:

" Scent lures may be used for bears ONLY under a bear control permit during the time frame that bating is allowed."

--

Bait and scent are treated as one and the same.Scent will be easier to clean as long as it is not wiped on the surounding areas. All contaiminated soil must be removed after the bait season ends.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default All Right there Mr Miller,

you dun gone and dun it! I have read that book cover to cover, twice. I like to refer back to page 22, definition of "bait" clearly says "excludes" scent lures.
    Then, I want to flip over to page 26 where it states "You MAY NOT hunt black bears using bait or scent lures, except under a bait station permit. Black bears are not brown/griz.
    And for that F&G guy in Palmer, well, he sure was stretching that statement.

To settle the question we share I turned back to page 25 (by accident this time). This is the last nail in the coffin! We don't have to ask anyone any more questions on "lures" for griz/browns. I wont quote it for you, or any reader. If anyone is interested, its right there in the orange box on the top right corner, page 25, 2007-2008 AHR.

And Mr RMiller, I..um..(cough) um, I guess I was wrong in my conclusion. My references and comments were accurate, and I did talk with F/B F&G, and...well. I did enjoy the debate though. You made me do my homework a little better. Good huntin to you!

Northern

I was all exited to use scent lures for bear hunting both browns and blacks as I do not want to set up a bait station.

Looks like I wont be doing that.

I may register a couple bait stations to use scents and just move every couple weeks to try new spots.

If I even get out. I hurt my back at the beginning of the year and can not do a whole lot. I was just wanting hike a little ways and light off a "twelve miles of dead fish scent".

I did get a couple bears calls though and if I do get out a couple times I will try those. I got the "woodwise bear blaster" and a "modern call cub bear brawler".

That should be fun.

A buddy of mine baited last year and had nuttin but a bunch griz hittin it. i was totally planning on scent lures for those suckers this spring! dang. well, i guess i'll have to try a different approach...I just feel a lot more comfortable sittin 20 foot up and waitin...

I'd say go near his bait spot and start calling. 1/4 mile should be good enough. If there are very many bears in the area I would think you would get some action.

Default brings up a good question...

If an area produces nothing but griz on a bait one year will they be back the next if the bait isn't there? Of course not daily but will they stop by to check? Would having a bait there last year improve the area for calling this year?

Theres been several different people baiting there over the last few years...the griz seem to keep runnin them out. My buddy filmed them last year, was pretty cool, but he aint baiting there this year.
    I would like to go in there callin, but I have to give them a little time, right? Aint April and May is a bit early to be calling? Thats what I've been puttin together. Was gonna start hitten up in the beginning of July and tinker through the fall.

"Aint April and May is a bit early to be calling?"

Maybe with a regular predator call.

But I got the cub bear brawler. So I am hoping they will want to kill it even if they dont want to eat it.

Default griz...and bait.

I have yet to do my research on this, but I thought you cant kill a griz that you know is in the area of, or influenced by bait. Therefore going 1/4 mile away from a bait you know has girz and calling is illegal. Only beacuse you know the bear is being influnced by the bait. I could be in left field but I am pretty sure thats how is goes. So as long as you dont know about the bait your good. I am sure they will check for baits registered in the are you kill a griz.

Well, best of luck!

Doesnt mean the bear is on the way to the bait.

Just cause the bear is in an area that has baits does not mean they are always influenced by bait.

--

Jim creek to the glacier has something like 300 bear baits. Every grizzly on the riverbed knows where some bait is. And you are most likely always within 1/4 mile of some bait once you get of the main riverbed. Would not stop me from shooting a Brown bear from Jim creek to the glacier.

garr1012:
    I believe you are correct on all points.
    If I were calling in an area that had my old bait station (not used) it is not reasonable to assume every bear in the area is affected by my old bait station. Another point, how do you prove you did not know about other bait stations in the area? For the above reason, I would not tell the exact location of my bear kill.

I hope F&G would not go to the extremes of looking up the locations of bait stations around a bear kill. There is no way they could prove the bear knew of bait stations in the area. Much less prove you knew the location of other bait stations. How would it be possible for a person to prove he did not know the location of other bait stations? What a can of worms!

Default they may not know

When registering my station last year I asked if there were any around me. I didn't want to unknowingly step on any toes. The guy at F&G couldn't tell me. Maybe he wouldn't tell me but acted as if he just didn't know. Left there kinda wondering what the point was to register if they aren't tracking them. I think it's safe to assume they won't do a CSI type case on bears harvested.

Default can of worms

It is a can of worms but you must be able to provide the exact location of the kill. The fish and game may never ask for the exact location.

If the bait station is not registered and not being used during the year you get the brown bear. How could the bait staition matter in the legality of taking the bear? As long as you were not sitting at the bait station itself.

If it did matter then the same areas would be off limits to taking black bears also after the bait season closes as they would be looking around for bait.

Default Sorry

I apologize for hyjacking the thread, I just didnt want somone getting in trouble for calling near a bait station they know is being frequnted by Griz. There are a million what ifs. However, its knowing what is right and wrong. Bear baiting is a sensative issue with many non hunters and it is important that we refreain from using them in any other means then those set out by F&G. I would be more worried about somone rolling up on you while you are skinning it out and saying somthing.

If you truly dont that a bear is sitting on or near a bait than the best of luck to you!!

I heard a bear was seen in North Pole this morning so gert ready boys!!

Default now here's a question

my buddy baited for a couple weeks when the griz started hitting. he gave it a little time and watched, and no sign of blacks, so he packed up and left after only a couple weeks. Now this year, that area is not registered, and has been without bait for "nearly" a year. Are the bears there "influenced" by the bait from years past? I'm sure. Are they influenced today on their morning stroll? I dont think so.

Is it, or is it not ethical or legal to persue these bears? No one is baiting this year...and its a large area around where the bait was in the past.