Thread: Kalgin Moose Hunt

Default Kalgin Moose Hunt

I was wondering if anyone had hunted moose on Kalgin Island and if so what was the terrain like and is there many moose?

Default Kaligan

Quote Originally Posted by akdoshin View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had hunted moose on Kalgin Island and if so what was the terrain like and is there many moose?
    I believe the harvest report I read from ADF&G said no moose were reported harvested in 2006, and only 1 person reported hunting on Kalgin. I don't know about 2007. There are no natural predators on the island, and I believe it is pretty swampy. Not worth the money in my opinion, but try contacting Natron Air if you are really that interested. I believe they fly out to Kalgin.

There was a member who posted a link to his personal website who claims that he is successful there every year. Maybe it was in the fishing forum? I'll see if I can drag up the link.

Found it. A new member by the name of winnie seems to have Kalgin Island moose hunting figured out. He provides a link to his personal website which includes pictures of a successfuly Kaglin hunt in this thread.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

I know of at least one moose that was harvested there last year. Do a search there is some info on here about kalgin moose hunting.

Default Natron Air

They have reasonable rates. Used them twice for caribou hunts. The moose there have small racks. Biggest average 40+". Has the most moose per square mile anywhere I believe. It is thick and swampy in parts. You want to be able to see a lake or open swamp, from what I have been told. Oh and get high to see above the brush, most likely in a tree as I don't think there is much elevation to the island. Call Natron Air and get some answeres.

I believe the success rate is about 50%. The F&G estimate about40+ moose, that is about one per square mile. They say that's the most the island can support. During the last few years with heavy snow some have died of starvation over the winter. We need hunters to keep the population down so as to not have this happen so often.

The hunting is tough if you don't know were to go. You have to be very careful to stay away from private property. There are about 40 land owners on the island who value their privacy! Some of them are "less than friendly" to visitors!

It's also hard to get there, but either sex moose is perfect if your after some meat to feed the family. If you don't have a Cook Inlet worthy boat, then Natron Air is the best way to get there. They land on the beach where you can find camping spots near the beach or stay at one of the local lodges or campgrounds on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIslandLodge View Post
    I believe the success rate is about 50%. The F&G estimate about40+ moose, that is about one per square mile. They say that's the most the island can support. During the last few years with heavy snow some have died of starvation over the winter. We need hunters to keep the population down so as to not have this happen so often.

The hunting is tough if you don't know were to go. You have to be very careful to stay away from private property. There are about 40 land owners on the island who value their privacy! Some of them are "less than friendly" to visitors!

It's also hard to get there, but either sex moose is perfect if your after some meat to feed the family. If you don't have a Cook Inlet worthy boat, then Natron Air is the best way to get there. They land on the beach where you can find camping spots near the beach or stay at one of the local lodges or campgrounds on the island.
    Local campgrounds?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I hunted there w/ a friend years ago and took a cow. Tough area to hunt. Very brushy, lots of dead fall timber and devils club. We were dropped off by a boat and camped on the beach. It was a very wet windy hunt. Great adventure, helps build character..!

There is a lodge with cabins on packer creek lake, north end of the island. I don't know if it's open or hunter friendly. But the lake is (I believe) float plane accessible. I worked a set net site out there years ago, rough terrain up north, mostly swamp on the south end.
    Last edited by 2dawgs; 12-03-2014 at 21:21. Reason: speeling