Thread: 7x61 SH

Question 7x61 SH

Hey guys,

Anybody have any experience with the 7x61 sharpe and hart? My grandfather is handing me down an old unfinished sako barelled action he never finished building many, many moons ago that is chambered for the round.

From what I've read it's very similar to a 7 mag. Ammo is reletively non-existant, and brass is hard to find (I don't reload either). I believe it can be rechambered to 7 mag.

So my question is: Would I be better off getting it rechambered to 7 mag, or learning to reload and fireform my own brass?

Default 7X61 Super

Well, I'd say, to get into loading your own would be a good call anyway, but the 7mm Remington Mag would be more practical if that has anything to do with it.

The S&H isn't quite the equal of the Remington but close. Dies for the S&H would be expensive but the rechambering cost would be about the same. If it were an original chambering I'd say leave as such and learn to load for it but I think Schultz & Larson were the only factory chambering for the 7mm Sharpe and Hart. Also this is the only legacy of the great ballistic mind of Phil Sharpe, you might want to consider that.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,

Thanks for the response.

It is still kind of a toss up for me right now. Dies are very expensive from what I've seen. What would you think the ballpark price of rechambering would be?

I'm just not sure if I have the $$ and time to jump into reloading anytime soon. I would love to leave it as-is, but I only really shoot when I hunt, so it would take a LONG time to re-coup the costs of getting setup.

I'm pretty sure the barelled action is, or rather was, brand new when my grandpa started working on it. He still has the unfinished stock blank as well. It's not blued or finished either. I have a couple of his other rifles he had built in AK before statehood that are absolutly beautiful heirlooms, so I do want to do this gun justice.

An original S&H should be left alone, but since this one is a project, I woulds select another caliber.

It was basically a 300 H&H that was shortened and necked down to 284 caliber. Case length is 2.394 inches and overall cartridge length is 3.27 inches. Similar to the .275 H&H. (The English used the land to land diameter and not the grove to grove on that one)

Norma used to make brass and loaded ammo. Buffalo Arms also markets loaded ammo for a stiff price. http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5671.htm
    As does Conley;
    http://www.cpcartridge.com/7mmS&H-P.htm

Schulltz and Larson made factory rifles. The older S&L rilfes had a 1 in 12 twist and the later ones had a better 1 in 10 twist. The older ones, (I had one) did not like heavy bullets. Man those were /are nice rifles.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Murphy,

Thanks for the response.

It is still kind of a toss up for me right now. Dies are very expensive from what I've seen. What would you think the ballpark price of rechambering would be?

I'm just not sure if I have the $$ and time to jump into reloading anytime soon. I would love to leave it as-is, but I only really shoot when I hunt, so it would take a LONG time to re-coup the costs of getting setup.

I'm pretty sure the barelled action is, or rather was, brand new when my grandpa started working on it. He still has the unfinished stock blank as well. It's not blued or finished either. I have a couple of his other rifles he had built in AK before statehood that are absolutly beautiful heirlooms, so I do want to do this gun justice.

Logistically rechambering to the 7 mm Remington would be the way to go, if you plan to shoot it. I suspect it is not a factory chambered Sako barrel and action. Possibly just a Sako action and after market barrel. How is the barrel stamped? Does the action say made in Finland? It should say L61 or A-V on the left side. The barrel was likely added to the Sako action. Not much work left after we have a completed barreled action.

I would think you could get it rechambered for about $120 but it may or may not be fitted. It may require a little more work. Are all the parts for the action there? The bolt and bottom metal, trigger and safety lever, etc?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the responses.

I don't have it in hand yet, but should be getting it mailed up soon. I remember it did say made in Finland on it though.

I know that he did build it up from the action back in the 50's or 60's. He did a lot of work on the action, bolt, and trigger and it is gorgeous. Definatly not factory-chambered. I think he chambered it himself. He did say that the headspace was checked and after blueing it should be ready to drop into a stock. I don't know much about smithing, and will definatly have a qualified person check it out. Should be a fun project. I'm the last hunter and only alaskan left in our family. I hope I can get this gun working while he's still with us, as I'm sure he would be proud.

Thanks again,
    Ray

Ray,

Brass for the 7X61 S&H is on the shelf and about a $ a piece. It would be easy to load ammo using the 7mm Remington mag dies. I've loaded for this one some time a go and don't ever remember having dies for it but I have load data in my notes for it. I have 7mm WSM dies now and they would work for loading new brass as neck dies and the 7 Mag dies will size the base for reloads. It would be nice to have some factory ammo for it at least to further the package of the caliber but the Norma factory box of brass will be close. I put together this sort of stuff all the time for odd ball and obsolete calibers and I'd say that Quality Cartridge could also.
    Just some thoughts here on options to keep it in your grandpa's caliber.

I have all the correct case dimensions for it and a cerrosafe chamber cast will tell all about chamber dimensions and the twist rate could be checked with a tight patch and a cleaning rod. A smith will chamber cast it to find all critical dimensions. A couple of boxes of ammo will serve to gather a moose for your grandpa and still have some for show and tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Ray,

Brass for the 7X61 S&H is on the shelf and about a $ a piece. It would be easy to load ammo using the 7mm Remington mag dies. I've loaded for this one some time a go and don't ever remember having dies for it but I have load data in my notes for it. I have 7mm WSM dies now and they would work for loading new brass as neck dies and the 7 Mag dies will size the base for reloads. It would be nice to have some factory ammo for it at least to further the package of the caliber but the Norma factory box of brass will be close. I put together this sort of stuff all the time for odd ball and obsolete calibers and I'd say that Quality Cartridge could also.
    Just some thoughts here on options to keep it in your grandpa's caliber.

I have all the correct case dimensions for it and a cerrosafe chamber cast will tell all about chamber dimensions and the twist rate could be checked with a tight patch and a cleaning rod. A smith will chamber cast it to find all critical dimensions. A couple of boxes of ammo will serve to gather a moose for your grandpa and still have some for show and tell.
    Thanks Murphy,

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I think I'll track down some books on handloading at the library and do some studying before I make any decision. I had no idea you could use the 7mm Rem and 7mm WSM dies in combination, but then again, I know very little about handloading. My wife might just kill me if I jump into a new hobby though